PDA

View Full Version : Grammar

Moxide
05-23-2014, 10:04 PM
I've neither posted, made a thread, nor played Growtopia for some time. I didn't stop reading the forums, though. There are a bit more spam threads than usual, but not too many. Anyways, let me get to the topic the title intends I will talk about; grammar. I understand that some people are from different countries, ones that may not speak English. I too, can relate to this, as I'm from a part of Europe which spoke Russian, but I was taught some English. This doesn't mean that you've got an excuse for your English illiteracy. Before going on a forum, you should at least learn basic grammar rules for the forum's most commonly used language (most people don't do this)

Anyhow, grammar is important. I can never stress this enough. It is crucial when you want someone to actually acknowledge your point as something serious, and as an actual idea you want others to at least know of.

When I see a serious post, attempting to convey an idea to me. Meant to be serious, of course. I can never take it seriously. I just take it as spam, or some nonsensical post of no importance to me, and go read another post.

Common Grammar Related Mistakes;

There, their, and they're. Learn the difference before you get a fellow Grammar Nazi makes you look stupid in front of everyone.

Your, and you're. Come on. How can this even be a common mistake? It's so obvious ;-;.

Mistaking words for other words. When you mistake a word for another word, you're showing your ignorance. If you don't know a word, either don't use it in sentences, or look up the definition on the interwebs.

Although, a non-grammar related one, bias. Don't be biased in your posts. If you favour one side of an argument, don't automatically assume that it's the best side. Actually look at the evidence.

TL;DR: Use grammar before you make yourself like an illiterate ape.

PotatoMarco
05-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Me bamp a tread :3

Moxide
05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
My American friend still says: "can you go their?". And he is older then 15 years old.

Huh, I guess 'muricans in your dimension are just as un-evolved as in this one.

CoryT
05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
y ned grhamer wen wii goht grohwtopiia lol

Moxide
05-24-2014, 07:04 PM
y ned grhamer wen wii goht grohwtopiia lol

lol gud pyint brudr wei cuul mayn #420bleyzinit #4lief

CoryT
05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
lol gud pyint brudr wei cuul mayn #420bleyzinit #4lief

wii r cull duide butts we ned othsthers peeps 2 belive tat ghrammer 1s usles

GBAGamer
05-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I've neither posted, made a thread, nor played Growtopia for some time. I didn't stop reading the forums, though. There are a bit more spam threads than usual, but not too many. Anyways, let me get to the topic the title intends I will talk about; grammar. I understand that some people are from different countries, ones that may not speak English. I too, can relate to this, as I'm from a part of Europe which spoke Russian, but I was taught some English. This doesn't mean that you've got an excuse for your English illiteracy. Before going on a forum, you should at least learn basic grammar rules for the forum's most commonly used language (most people don't do this)

Anyhow, grammar is important. I can never stress this enough. It is crucial when you want someone to actually acknowledge your point as something serious, and as an actual idea you want others to at least know of.

When I see a serious post, attempting to convey an idea to me. Meant to be serious, of course. I can never take it seriously. I just take it as spam, or some nonsensical post of no importance to me, and go read another post.

Common Grammar Related Mistakes;

There, their, and they're. Learn the difference before you get a fellow Grammar Nazi makes you look stupid in front of everyone.

Your, and you're. Come on. How can this even be a common mistake? It's so obvious ;-;.

Mistaking words for other words. When you mistake a word for another word, you're showing your ignorance. If you don't know a word, either don't use it in sentences, or look up the definition on the interwebs.

Although, a non-grammar related one, bias. Don't be biased in your posts. If you favour one side of an argument, don't automatically assume that it's the best side. Actually look at the evidence.

TL;DR: Use grammar before you make yourself like an illiterate ape.
You basically insulted every person who's English is not his/her first language.

CoryT
05-24-2014, 07:12 PM
You basically insulted every person who's English is not his/her first language.

I agree its like calling an American who just moved to japan stupid ...

Tech
05-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Grammar is cool. :cool: But Grammar is boring. :D