PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good game?

Davidi
10-08-2004, 02:53 PM
I'd like you to tell me what the most important thing to you about a game is.

Ash (Housewares)
10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
If it has a shotgun wielding, living dead slaying, smooth ladies man from the future. Then it's off to a good start. . .

Not to say that Evil Dead: Hail To The King was a good game, but it had a good starting point.

Oh and mass slaughter of some "lower" life form, i.e. ducks.

And some Funyuns, yeah.

Ash-Housewares

dink holland smallwood
02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
THe best thing in games are:

1. Graphics: They must be good. Simle graphics are an annoying thing.

2. Music: A game without music or sounds are not nice to play.

3. Storyline: The story in very important in the game. WHen a storyline is not clear or not in a following order a game is not nice to play because you cannot figuring anything out.

4. The end: A game must have a good end to let you as player to show that you done the game and finished it on a proper way.

Enderandrew
02-17-2005, 08:11 AM
A game either is fun, or it isn't. Ultima 9 looked breath-taking when it shipped. Yet, the game stank. Vampire: Bloodlines looks fantastic, yet isn't much fun, and has a horrid ending. I can still play old games and enjoy them.

For some games, complexity works, and for others simplicity does.

Every game is different.

fugitive247
05-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm another one in the "If it ain't fun, why bother?" camp. Of course, a decent storyline (if applicable), cool/non-garbled/scenario-appropriate music/SFX, and unique, non-cheesy graphics certainly help. However, electronic gaming history is filled with numerous examples having at least one of these shortcomings, and were/are still extremely popular because of their entertainment factor. http://www.rtsoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

notbert
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
That's a really good question, and one that I really can't pick just one answer for. I mean, certain things like how fun the game is to play would definitely be a deciding factor (That was the answer I chose, simply because it was the broadest.). As for the individual aspects, it really depends. I've taken great enjoyment in games that are simply text based with a great storyline, MUDs and a good number of BBS doors for example. I've also been wowed by games with great graphics and little else. Sound, yeah, it can play a big role. I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D for the first time, hearing doors opening and closing all around me. It messed with my head! I think it really comes down to the developer understanding the game well enough to know which aspects are the most important for that particular game, and then building off of them.

Scriptiz
06-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Dink Smallwood by example is for me a really good game !

Why (by me) :

- It as a good story-line, it's logical and fluently (if I can use this word ^^).
- It's really fun, whe are almost in a Monty Python film :D
- The graphic are simple but they are not hard for the eyes (do you understand? o.O)
- It's free
- It's open source
- It's GREAT !
- It's Seth :lol:

tella.star
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
a good game must have a good graphics, sounds/music, and plot/storyline.
a game that'll not bore you and not also make it too difficult to play but not that easy to play.