PDA

View Full Version : stupid amazon

Akolade
12-05-2002, 05:31 PM
ok, this has nothing to do with RTSOFT, but this is the lounge after all.
amazon bought CDNOW (or so it appears), thus ruining CDNOW.
CDNOW used to be a much simpler and cleaner design than Amazon. It was way easier to search for a band and actually have it come up. but NOO. Amazon went and ruined it. Now if you are searching for a band with a not very specific name (like their name is just a common word), you get 200 different albums from bands that have that word in their name as well.
CDNow would first come up with a list of band names you could pick from, THEN you would just get the albums from that band.

For example, if I search for the band "Low" (a slow-core band from minnesota), I get like 200 albums from various bands, some Low, some Down Low, some by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, William Christie, Christine Schäfer (dunno how that came up).

Damn annoying.
So, Seth, don't get bought by Amazon.
Thank you.
http://www.rtsoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

monotrophic
12-12-2002, 02:52 PM
I've never used CDNow to purchase CDs (haven't bought indie/underground music from a major distribution service in a long while and don't intend to ever again) but I understand your grief... I haven't heard the term "slow-core" since I first started listening to Low way back in 2001, probobly best to just go to their website, or go directly to kranky.net. I bring that up simply because supporting an indie label can't be done half as well as when you directly order from them. I remember when Dink first came out, my dad ordered from them directly over the phone, it's great. No middle man, no fuss. Southern records, temporary residence, constellation and alien8recordings are my favourite labels, I've ordred from them before and had no problem at all (literally I just slipped a 20 into the envelop and sent it to them http://www.rtsoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

By the way, is the new Low CD good?

Akolade
12-13-2002, 06:01 PM
hey wow, another indie rocker on RTSOFT.

Ya, I havent bought a CD thru CDNOW for a long while, but I do use it as a means to preview stuff, and look stuff up.
Being in Canada I have been ordering from a Vancouver record store lately, since it's cheaper (our dollar sucks) and has a good selection. (www.scratchrecords.com)

I like the labels you listed as well.
I like the new Low album a lot. Nice production, a few changes like some songs that have a normal tempo!

Are you a Godspeed! fan? New album is good..

monotrophic
12-14-2002, 02:57 AM
I haven't gotten the new album yet, however, I plan on getting 30 bucks from my next paycheck to get it... I have motherf***er=redeemer in it's entirty on CD that's been keeping me anxious for the past few weeks, but I don't know if i like what they did to 12-28-99... i had a live version that was excellent, but the album version seems too fast... I've been listening to Explosions in the Sky alot as well... also, i didn't mention them, but Deep Elm is an indie label (infortunitly) known mainly for their emo, and i've purchased online through them from the past and they've always been good (not to mention smashing (buy 3 get a free CD of our choice) deals http://www.rtsoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif
I highly recommend The Appleseed Cast, Low Level Owl is very inviting...

Akolade
12-18-2002, 06:19 PM
i will check out those labels/bands..

i havent heard any recent live godspeed.

The new CD is pretty cool, but I think with their next release they should try something different. I don't know what exactly, but something. Maybe different intruments or something, just to keep it fresh. How about a singing saw? Those are good. Or maybe they've done that already...