Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: BC Teacher Strike, No School?

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    4,181

    Default BC Teacher Strike, No School?

    Currently in BC, Canada, the teachers are striking so no school. I've seen some pretty gruesome comments on youtube blaming teachers concerning this matter.
    Do you guys want a strike? Your thoughts on strikes like this?
    I'm a bit bored as there is no schoolwork for me.. I'm actually missing school for once .
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 54
    __________________________________________________

    I hate this colour.


    _________________________________________________

    #AFKQueen #FifthHarmonyEnthusiast


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    mate
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    WOOHOO NO SCHOOL YEAH GO TEACHERS WOOT WOOT

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hakma View Post
    WOOHOO NO SCHOOL YEAH GO TEACHERS WOOT WOOT
    LOL. It's starting to get a bit boring with no school though, honestly.
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 54
    __________________________________________________

    I hate this colour.


    _________________________________________________

    #AFKQueen #FifthHarmonyEnthusiast


  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer King902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Behind Mahhtin
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    What's the reason again? In most cases the strike is caused due to underpay or no raises. In my opinion, the teacher's that strike, are standing up for a cause, but that cause is causing other children to get no education. Therefore no good comes out, most likely the teacher's will lose their jobs. Parents will support them because they do not want their children to not go to school, and the fact that they don't want them to lose their jobs ;3 So overall, a strike causes a small war.
    ty aqua bb



    In game name: KingyKing
    ITS HALLOWEEEEEEN


    RIP Great Friends
    -Zeus(my daddyo)
    -Thermo(the kewl guy not entirely dead)
    -AramSevag(the savage not dead...yet)
    -iSparkels(the sparkliest of em all)
    -Shethrion(my waifu)
    -Blyoshi(the joy bringer)
    -Spotlight(the red nurse)

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King902 View Post
    What's the reason again? In most cases the strike is caused due to underpay or no raises. In my opinion, the teacher's that strike, are standing up for a cause, but that cause is causing other children to get no education. Therefore no good comes out, most likely the teacher's will lose their jobs. Parents will support them because they do not want their children to not go to school, and the fact that they don't want them to lose their jobs ;3 So overall, a strike causes a small war.
    Here's the deal, the teachers are complaining about the class size and composition as too many kids are now in on class and many of them don't get the help they need. The union seeing this a good opportunity, decides they want the teachers to get a raise as well. But then the government locks the teachers out so the union/teachers can settle all this in court.

    But now, the government realizes the teachers have the upper hand and have better arguments than them so the government decides to pay every student at the age of 12 and under $40 for every school day the teachers decide not to work. They $40 is kinda like the government's way of saying "Parents, please don't side with the teachers, we're giving you guys $40 a day to keep your mouths shut."
    Though the government has offered a 10 year contract, the teachers declined since their wages didn't get raised THAT much and look at the gas and grocery prices, they're constantly rising, who knows how much they will be in 5 years let alone 10 years. And plus, BC is the most expensive province to live in out of all of Canada.

    Now the parents are blaming it on teachers, saying get up and start teaching our children, but the problem is the union is not allowing them to work. They're also saying teachers already get paid enough, they get paid 80k+! But that isn't true, the only teachers who get paid that much are ones who've been working for 10-20+ years, newer teachers get paid as little as 20k a year.

    Our premiere (basically leader) of the province is spurting out lies to make the teachers look even worse than they already seem. The only reason why the government hasn't given in yet is because if they do, who knows what other union are going to start striking. All I want right now is to start my first year of high school. Sorry for this rant and possible grammatical errors.
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 54
    __________________________________________________

    I hate this colour.


    _________________________________________________

    #AFKQueen #FifthHarmonyEnthusiast


  6. #6
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    (LV) Nevada, USA
    Posts
    2,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheth View Post
    But now, the government realizes the teachers have the upper hand and have better arguments than them so the government decides to pay every student at the age of 12 and under $40 for every school day the teachers decide not to work. They $40 is kinda like the government's way of saying "Parents, please don't side with the teachers, we're giving you guys $40 a day to keep your mouths shut."

    Our premiere (basically leader) of the province is spurting out lies to make the teachers look even worse than they already seem. The only reason why the government hasn't given in yet is because if they do, who knows what other union are going to start striking.
    Every world leader in a nutshell! Isn't this place just great?
    "My eyes see everything I want them to I just don't want them to see you."

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In B.C. Canada!
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Gotta love this strike!

    I wanna go back now...
    Hi I'm Pikasack!
    I am just your average nice, normal, and happy player!
    Email support@growtopiagame.com if you have any issues about anything in Growtopia! Or just have a friendly chat, just don't spam them!
    Add me on 3DS: FC: 1220-8990-5215

  8. #8
    Master Sorcerer King902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Behind Mahhtin
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheth View Post
    Here's the deal, the teachers are complaining about the class size and composition as too many kids are now in on class and many of them don't get the help they need. The union seeing this a good opportunity, decides they want the teachers to get a raise as well. But then the government locks the teachers out so the union/teachers can settle all this in court.

    But now, the government realizes the teachers have the upper hand and have better arguments than them so the government decides to pay every student at the age of 12 and under $40 for every school day the teachers decide not to work. They $40 is kinda like the government's way of saying "Parents, please don't side with the teachers, we're giving you guys $40 a day to keep your mouths shut."
    Though the government has offered a 10 year contract, the teachers declined since their wages didn't get raised THAT much and look at the gas and grocery prices, they're constantly rising, who knows how much they will be in 5 years let alone 10 years. And plus, BC is the most expensive province to live in out of all of Canada.

    Now the parents are blaming it on teachers, saying get up and start teaching our children, but the problem is the union is not allowing them to work. They're also saying teachers already get paid enough, they get paid 80k+! But that isn't true, the only teachers who get paid that much are ones who've been working for 10-20+ years, newer teachers get paid as little as 20k a year.

    Our premiere (basically leader) of the province is spurting out lies to make the teachers look even worse than they already seem. The only reason why the government hasn't given in yet is because if they do, who knows what other union are going to start striking. All I want right now is to start my first year of high school. Sorry for this rant and possible grammatical errors.
    A simple answer is "so?" So what if your classrooms aren't that big? So what if the union thinks they need a raise? What i am getting to is, the teachers are not understanding how this is affecting others! I get they want what they want for the kids, but look at the consequence of it all. You basically have no school, what if this lasts for a while, citizens will most likely move to somewhere that there is school. Causing the place where you live to get deserted. But this has a very low chance of happening. Teachers can always walk right out the door, but they want to make a change so they make a strike. In my opinion a strike will do no good, instead it will cause more problems and most likely no good will come out of it.
    ty aqua bb



    In game name: KingyKing
    ITS HALLOWEEEEEEN


    RIP Great Friends
    -Zeus(my daddyo)
    -Thermo(the kewl guy not entirely dead)
    -AramSevag(the savage not dead...yet)
    -iSparkels(the sparkliest of em all)
    -Shethrion(my waifu)
    -Blyoshi(the joy bringer)
    -Spotlight(the red nurse)

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    (LV) Nevada, USA
    Posts
    2,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King902 View Post
    A simple answer is "so?" So what if your classrooms aren't that big? So what if the union thinks they need a raise? What i am getting to is, the teachers are not understanding how this is affecting others! I get they want what they want for the kids, but look at the consequence of it all. You basically have no school, what if this lasts for a while, citizens will most likely move to somewhere that there is school. Causing the place where you live to get deserted. But this has a very low chance of happening. Teachers can always walk right out the door, but they want to make a change so they make a strike. In my opinion a strike will do no good, instead it will cause more problems and most likely no good will come out of it.
    You say THEY aren't considering the other side of the fight, but really it's just you who isn't considering their side.

    Teachers these days get WAY underpaid. Most teach (Or begin teaching) purely for the love it, to teach you. They go through years of super expensive college themselves so that YOU can learn what they did for money, for free.

    These teachers are acting on the mistreatment they received from the government. Teachers are THE most valuable asset to our world as what they teach their students defines the future of said students, and ultimately the future of the world. They deserve to be given more when they ask, especially when they've accepted underpayment for decades on end.

    The government, however, view themselves higher than the those teachers and will only do what benefits THEM. Their failure to acknowledge the importance of the teachers and not to reward them for what they do is why this is happening. not because the teachers are being "selfish".

    I'd also like to think of this as being one huge lesson to teach the students of the importance of, not them them, but all whom teach. To show them that the education they give is worth WAY more than the dirt they get in return for it, and hope that their students will change this one day.
    "My eyes see everything I want them to I just don't want them to see you."

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikasack View Post
    Gotta love this strike!

    I wanna go back now...
    Haha exactly how I'm feeling.

    And yeah, our leader is great!
    If only they chose NDP's over Liberals..
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 54
    __________________________________________________

    I hate this colour.


    _________________________________________________

    #AFKQueen #FifthHarmonyEnthusiast


  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmABrodie View Post
    You say THEY aren't considering the other side of the fight, but really it's just you who isn't considering their side.

    Teachers these days get WAY underpaid. Most teach (Or begin teaching) purely for the love it, to teach you. They go through years of super expensive college themselves so that YOU can learn what they did for money, for free.

    These teachers are acting on the mistreatment they received from the government. Teachers are THE most valuable asset to our world as what they teach their students defines the future of said students, and ultimately the future of the world. They deserve to be given more when they ask, especially when they've accepted underpayment for decades on end.

    The government, however, view themselves higher than the those teachers and will only do what benefits THEM. Their failure to acknowledge the importance of the teachers and not to reward them for what they do is why this is happening. not because the teachers are being "selfish".

    I'd also like to think of this as being one huge lesson to teach the students of the importance of, not them them, but all whom teach. To show them that the education they give is worth WAY more than the dirt they get in return for it, and hope that their students will change this one day.
    Yeah, you never know how much something is really worth till ya lose it :I
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 54
    __________________________________________________

    I hate this colour.


    _________________________________________________

    #AFKQueen #FifthHarmonyEnthusiast


  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer King902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Behind Mahhtin
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmABrodie View Post
    You say THEY aren't considering the other side of the fight, but really it's just you who isn't considering their side.

    Teachers these days get WAY underpaid. Most teach (Or begin teaching) purely for the love it, to teach you. They go through years of super expensive college themselves so that YOU can learn what they did for money, for free.

    These teachers are acting on the mistreatment they received from the government. Teachers are THE most valuable asset to our world as what they teach their students defines the future of said students, and ultimately the future of the world. They deserve to be given more when they ask, especially when they've accepted underpayment for decades on end.

    The government, however, view themselves higher than the those teachers and will only do what benefits THEM. Their failure to acknowledge the importance of the teachers and not to reward them for what they do is why this is happening. not because the teachers are being "selfish".

    I'd also like to think of this as being one huge lesson to teach the students of the importance of, not them them, but all whom teach. To show them that the education they give is worth WAY more than the dirt they get in return for it, and hope that their students will change this one day.
    I get that they are underpaid, but do they understand how is affecting others? It was there choice to chose the profession of teaching. Some teachers do it for the love of the job, others do it for the money. What do i need to consider of their side? That they get underpaid? They aren't getting what they want? If the government gave every teacher what they want, what would he the outcome? There would be none because the government would never give every teacher what they want.

    The government can be considered higher than the teachers but then again teachers taught them. Okay let us look at it from two perspectives

    The teacher's perspective: raise, better conditions

    The government's perspective: taxes

    If the government gave the teacher's their raise, then taxes would rise. There are consequences to whatever anyone does. I am not fully siding sides, but not everyone can have their way.
    ty aqua bb



    In game name: KingyKing
    ITS HALLOWEEEEEEN


    RIP Great Friends
    -Zeus(my daddyo)
    -Thermo(the kewl guy not entirely dead)
    -AramSevag(the savage not dead...yet)
    -iSparkels(the sparkliest of em all)
    -Shethrion(my waifu)
    -Blyoshi(the joy bringer)
    -Spotlight(the red nurse)

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    (LV) Nevada, USA
    Posts
    2,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King902 View Post
    I get that they are underpaid, but do they understand how is affecting others? It was there choice to chose the profession of teaching. Some teachers do it for the love of the job, others do it for the money. What do i need to consider of their side? That they get underpaid? They aren't getting what they want? If the government gave every teacher what they want, what would he the outcome? There would be none because the government would never give every teacher what they want.

    The government can be considered higher than the teachers but then again teachers taught them. Okay let us look at it from two perspectives

    The teacher's perspective: raise, better conditions

    The government's perspective: taxes

    If the government gave the teacher's their raise, then taxes would rise. There are consequences to whatever anyone does. I am not fully siding sides, but not everyone can have their way.
    What you need to consider on their side is that they aren't asking for "more", they aren't even asking for an equivalent to what they do, they just want something to help them get by, and 20k a year doesn't. That's about $9.62 an hour, 2 dollars above minimum wage (In my area, which is $7.25, USD as well). That is DEFINITELY not enough to support a family, and it's barely enough to support yourself.

    The government doesn't necessarily need to tax, they just have to pull their armies out of places they don't belong *Cough* Obama *Cough*. Seriously though, I'm sure the government in this part of Canada has a lot planned to do, but I doubt it's worth as much as education is. Simply cut the funding to a completely useless project and move it towards education.

    This leads me to another thing, the government gives TONS of people what they want. To just give you one example of something currently happening in my area, an Electric Car Plant is currently being built, at the price of 500 MILLION dollars. To build an... electric car plant. Yeah. Amazing seeing that these teachers get paid literally 1/25,000 (If the math is off, I apologize, I whipped that up pretty quickly) of that in a YEAR.

    Also, who's to say that these kids can't just go and learn some stuff on their own? I'm pretty sure a ton of people effected by this have internet, which is a pretty big place for information and education.
    "My eyes see everything I want them to I just don't want them to see you."

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    WoT Blitz probably...or XBox or PS4
    Posts
    12,002

    Default

    Make room for me Sheth! I'm moving in!

    #2Kewl4Skewl

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 02:25 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •