Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Server status update

Default Server status update

Hey guys,

Server is still disconnecting like crazy, it's actually getting worse. I've been working with our data center to try to figure out why our network keeps dying, it's really weird. It doesn't seem to be a bug in our software but possibly a hardware failure. We're still trying to nail it down.

Until then, you probably don't want to use any lucky mods, attempt any hard parkours or /sb - because it's probably going to disconnect everybody until we get this resolved!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by juuu View Post
    Can i suggest shutting down growtopia for a while until the problem is resolved... some of us like me cant help trying to login and ended getting frustrated instead
    Well, I'd rather not take down the server because the network issue may require this high of a load to malfunction - so I want them to be able to see and fix it now while they are looking at it. Hopefully it's fixed soon.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

The data center network guys still don't know what's going on, they are bringing in another engineer to take a look.

I'm rebooting the server now btw... it's not like a little down time is going to make a different which this many lagouts happening anyway... !
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Default No point in doing anything time sensitive

Break blocks, have interrupted conversations with your friends, watch a movie, play another game, venture out into REALITY even, (I hear its good for your eyes to have a cooldown period). This must be as frustrating for the developers as it is for us, disappointing as it is to their players, so Im sure they r working as fast as they can.

Latest update: I guess the top engineer is on his way to look at it, or waking up, or something. If we're lucky, he'll be like "oh, here's your problem, a mice was chewing on your network cable".

Backup plan in motion: I'm currently in the process of getting additional RAID SSD drives installed on another server so we can migrate the entire game there if it comes to that. Thing is, the game is big. Needs more super fast HD space. Extremely fast AND large RAID SSDs are hard to come by without special ordering them, but I can make this work...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

We may have fixed the issue, and it turns out it wasn't hardware or network but just my own bug with logging which could flood TCP and .. er... Updating server now. We'll see...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Yeah, my fix didn't help. The good news is maybe it's not my fault after all.. although I would gladly accept the blame to fix stuff. Still working on it...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Super Moderator

Dear All The Thousands of Players Emailing to Point Out That Crashes are Bad:

We know. We hate this 30,000 times as much as you do. We're working on it, I swear!

Please stop flooding the desk.

Thank you!
    <3
    GT Mom

Super Moderator

It's been a fun day for the Support Desk Staff...
    they love having people swear at them and threaten them and bully them...
    oh wait...
    no...
    no, they don't.

Treat your Support Staff with respect, my dears. It would be sad if they stopped responding to you because of the abuse.

<3
    GT Mom

Here is the latest news...

Animation is a dying art, those who choose to ignore it, ride on live action.
    We thinkers, innovators, motivators, engineers of the mind, are ones who seek to bring animation back from the dead, and save television from the evils of live action shows. We carry our predecessors work on our shoulders. We will not tremble from their amazing work, but we shall rise higher!

If anyone is confused why the server is not open yet
    http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...n-Game-Updates
    The link above should help you!

Animation is a dying art, those who choose to ignore it, ride on live action.
    We thinkers, innovators, motivators, engineers of the mind, are ones who seek to bring animation back from the dead, and save television from the evils of live action shows. We carry our predecessors work on our shoulders. We will not tremble from their amazing work, but we shall rise higher!

Update: Well, we've taken down the server processes completely to isolate the network issues. (they are the same with or without the server running, proves it isn't a server bug!)

Working on moving to backup server but having problems getting a reply. Server may be down for a lot longer than an hour...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Some of you are taking this better than others. Things like this happen sometimes. Complaining with a newly created thread every 3 minutes or raging in emails to support isn't going to speed the process. They're doing all they can to fix it, and the patience is appreciated. Take the opportunity while the server is down to do something else. Homework, eat, go outside and take a break, sleep. So please, stop creating more angry raging threads, before theres a need to delete them.

UPDATE: Well, the datacenter guy said "Yeah, I can see the network problem. But I need to wait for the super smart networking person to get here"

I've also been posting updates to @growtopiagame on twitter if you want the latest.

I'll update you as soon as I get any new information. All I can say is the network we're on freezes for 51 seconds every 6 to 60 minutes randomly, EVEN if the game isn't running at all.

Makes it very difficult to enjoy the game under these conditions to say the least.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

UPDATE: Ok, set the forums to no longer sent email notifications, they had started to bounce because hosts like gmail and yahoo really don't trust you if you send them more than 1000 emails per hour.

I fixed growtopiagame.com so it no longer shows the servers are up with 0 players, not sure why that was happening.

Nothing new from the datacenter
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

UPDATE: I've changed everywhere to say the server will be down "up to 24 hours" or "24 hours" - the truth is I have no idea and I do hope it's much less, but I don't want people feeling like they need to check every minute and wasting time either!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by supergamevarken View Post
    What does ETA on the way mean?
    Estimated time (of) arrival - sort of, "when it's coming". Sadly our estimates are more like guesses...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    UPDATE: I've changed everywhere to say the server will be down "up to 24 hours" or "24 hours" - the truth is I have no idea and I do hope it's much less, but I don't want people feeling like they need to check every minute and wasting time either!
    Seth: "It's okay, 24 hours left"
    Seth's mind: "Oh crap"

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Trollrage View Post
    I bet Hamumu is like:
    "LOL"
    Hamumu is reading, and is crying quietly.
    Left.

UPDATE: Well, I think I may get some shut eye, my phone is setup to wake me up if the datacenter emails me.

One thing you guys could help me with - let people know that support@growtopiagame.com is a bit backed up right now, part of it a lot of emails about "why is the server down" but also some parts about gems/ban issues really can't be handled until the server comes back online. We WILL get to it all, eventually!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies