Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Let's Debate

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,694

    Default Let's Debate

    I was just scrolling through forums, chilling on the web when I realised, we haven't had a debate I a while, (no, the square vs circle poll was not a debate) so I figured why not start one.

    The topic is "All students should be required to learn a foreign language in middle school."

    I have an argument which I'll add later.

    Remember, keep it family friendly and refrain from bashing.
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer PolarisHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    434 Light Years away from Earth
    Posts
    6,909

    Default

    Well, except if it is English, I think it's unnecessary for middle school students to learn a foreign language. It will be just an additional headache to them. However, if you are studying on another country, I think it should be required to learn the language of that country.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    ice krem
    Posts
    5,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear64 View Post
    I was just scrolling through forums, chilling on the web when I realised, we haven't had a debate I a while, (no, the square vs circle poll was not a debate) so I figured why not start one.

    The topic is "All students should be required to learn a foreign language in middle school."

    I have an argument which I'll add later.

    Remember, keep it family friendly and refrain from bashing.
    Everyone forgot about the
    daoriginalkenjirocks vs Coherence thing in less then a month XD

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisHD View Post
    Well, except if it is English, I think it's unnecessary for middle school students to learn a foreign language. It will be just an additional headache to them. However, if you are studying on another country, I think it should be required to learn the language of that country.
    But learning different languages could help them when they grow up, example theyre in China, they get into an accident, how will they speak if the dont know the Chinese language, and if they know different languages, it could help them make more friends and business deals in the future! So, yeah...

  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer PolarisHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    434 Light Years away from Earth
    Posts
    6,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlaZinG View Post
    Everyone forgot about the
    daoriginalkenjirocks vs Coherence thing in less then a month XD

    - - - Updated - - -



    But learning different languages could help them when they grow up, example theyre in China, they get into an accident, how will they speak if the dont know the Chinese language, and if they know different languages, it could help them make more friends and business deals in the future! So, yeah...
    But he said "a foreign language" so he only meant 1 language. I can't really explain what i'm going to say next, so i'll just use an example. "Your school required you to learn Portuguese. But you aren't really sure if you're going to visit Portugal at some point in your life." So you just learned the Portuguese for nothing.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    ice krem
    Posts
    5,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisHD View Post
    But he said "a foreign language" so he only meant 1 language. I can't really explain what i'm going to say next, so i'll just use an example. "Your school required you to learn Portuguese. But you aren't really sure if you're going to visit Portugal at some point in your life." So you just learned the Portuguese for nothing.
    What if you see someone that needs help, you only know American, he only knows Spanish, and lately, these days, no one gives a care. And you can't understand him, and in reality he has this sickness where he doesn't stop bleeding (there really is a sickness like that) so you rush him to a hospital, doctors don't know wth the sickness is because like, he's shouting Spanish curse words or whatever. So, ye.

  6. #6
    Master Sorcerer PolarisHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    434 Light Years away from Earth
    Posts
    6,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlaZinG View Post
    What if you see someone that needs help, you only know American, he only knows Spanish, and lately, these days, no one gives a care. And you can't understand him, and in reality he has this sickness where he doesn't stop bleeding (there really is a sickness like that) so you rush him to a hospital, doctors don't know wth the sickness is because like, he's shouting Spanish curse words or whatever. So, ye.
    English is the universal language. Everyone should know it. Plus, the chances of that happening is pretty low.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    ice krem
    Posts
    5,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisHD View Post
    English is the universal language. Everyone should know it. Plus, the chances of that happening is pretty low.
    I've ben to China most of them "literally" do not know English at all.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    ice krem
    Posts
    5,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krodna View Post
    I dont speak the england.
    This might sound self-contradictory but you just did...

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer PolarisHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    434 Light Years away from Earth
    Posts
    6,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlaZinG View Post
    I've ben to China most of them "literally" do not know English at all.
    But that doesn't mean we should learn their language in school. You should only learn a certain language if you are interested in it or if you are going to another country.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krodna View Post
    No i typed it lol im funny.
    gg wp.

    9.9/10 -IGN

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    ice krem
    Posts
    5,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisHD View Post
    But that doesn't mean we should learn their language in school. You should only learn a certain language if you are interested in it or if you are going to another country.



    gg wp.

    9.9/10 -IGN
    Yes, but with knowing more languages you could make more fire dam which could help you in business, and learning another language could give you more business, and if you were to open a shop, you might need to know a few different languages.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BlaZinG View Post
    Yes, but with knowing more languages you could make more fire dam which could help you in business, and learning another language could give you more business, and if you were to open a shop, you might need to know a few different languages.
    If not in school where will you learn it? I mean, sure there are tutors and all.
    Anyways, gonna sleep.
    ~Ciao

  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer PolarisHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    434 Light Years away from Earth
    Posts
    6,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlaZinG View Post
    Yes, but with knowing more languages you could make more fire dam which could help you in business, and learning another language could give you more business, and if you were to open a shop, you might need to know a few different languages.

    - - - Updated - - -



    If not in school where will you learn it? I mean, sure there are tutors and all.
    Anyways, gonna sleep.
    ~Ciao
    That doesn't change the fact that it is unnecessary to learn those stuff in school. Not everyone will have their own business.

    You can learn some languages by buying books or using the internet.

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer karl0909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,297

    Default

    I say it should not really required. Rather, it should be optional. Learning a foreign language other than English and your mother tongue is enough if you want decent communications with other people. But if you're planning to interact with different nationalities, then you should study it. So it's optional.
    IGN: karl0909
    Worlds: LOLFRONDSFARMWEEE, BURIAL

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer PotatoMarco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    in your heart!
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    We already are taught random crap we don't care about. Like how Samuel Adams created USA by killing lots of expensive tea, or how if you divide the sine of any degree ø by the cosine of degree ø you will get the tangent of angle ø. The goal of this is not to kill us, but to show us the magical wonders of every subject so that we can choose better when it comes to us finally finding a job. I say go for it, because if no one will push them to learn languages, how will tey know the beauty of it?

    My IGN is JustSomeGuy

    <removed forum setting changer script>

    ^ those are mine, not the pictures, the people. mine!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mossey822 View Post
    I have never realized that people are sexiest in growtopia
    Recryp rocks



  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    WoT Blitz probably...or XBox or PS4
    Posts
    12,002

    Default

    Depends. Do you have any interest in traveling/living abroad? If so, then yes. If not, then no.

    "What about the immigrants? Should we learn their language to help them feel welcome?" If they're going to live in OUR country, then they better damn well learn OUR language.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoMarco View Post
    We already are taught random crap we don't care about. Like how Samuel Adams created USA by killing lots of expensive tea, or how if you divide the sine of any degree ø by the cosine of degree ø you will get the tangent of angle ø. The goal of this is not to kill us, but to show us the magical wonders of every subject so that we can choose better when it comes to us finally finding a job. I say go for it, because if no one will push them to learn languages, how will tey know the beauty of it?
    Back in the old days (like the 1700's), the only thing taught was reading, writing, and math. It should still be the same today. No one cares about religion, history, or science at this point.

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer cocoufo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    731

    Default

    I find it completely pointless learning a foreign language. I honestly see only two positives about learning a foreign language. 1. You need it for Uni. 2. If a World War 3 happens and we lose we may need it.

    Now the most common languages you learn in school is Mandarin, Spanish, German and French. No lets talk honest. German will not beat us in a war as harsh as I may be but every World War we have had we won. World War 2 almost lost us but thanks to Russia, Uk and America we won. with Mandarin there is a difference. China has one of the biggest armies in the world and I would not be surprised if they teamed up with Russia and dominate the world. Lucky for us China does not have a corrupt ruler. The French and Spanish won't do much effect on their own. These seem to be the places that don't goto war unless needed.

    Now although for the people who are born and raised for English to be their first language why do we decide not to learn foreign languages but they need to learn ours? English is such a world wide language now that almost everyone needs it to learn or speak to anyone. The reason why everyone doesn't want to learn a foreign language is because we are not forced to learn Spanglish for example to communicate with most the world.

  16. #16
    raqk
    Guest

    Default

    In the state of michigan, the student is REQUIRED to take 2 consecutive years of a foreign language to graduate high school. Sadly, I live in michigan. I also think its completely wrong.

    First of, half of the student in 'murica dont even know how to say the english equivalent to a foreign word, I myself didnt even know what it meant to conjugate a word until half way hrough french 2, which I am currently taking. If the average american doesnt know english, why require a second language?

    Secondly, what are you going to use a foreign language for, unless you work in one of the few careers that actually require it. If you encounter someone foreign, and your in your native country, then THEY should be the ones who know english.

    Thirdly no one will even remember the language after they graduate, it just wastes oppurtunity for students to expand there options, discover what they really want to do. I am in french 2, my 3rd year of french (yes, I failed my first year of french one) and I have NO IDEA WHAT-SO-EVER what I am doing, at all!

    I garuntee who ever came up with these laws requiring it, dont need to speak a foreign langauge for their job, and its also most likely they dont speak a foreign language either

    #no2ndlanguage4tehschools

Similar Threads

  1. Which is better? [DEBATE]
    By l0l in forum RTsoft Tavern
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-19-2014, 04:16 PM
  2. Evolution debate
    By Reballoo in forum RTsoft Tavern
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 06:08 AM
  3. A Debate
    By I-Am-Legend in forum RTsoft Tavern
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 01:20 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •