Thread: What is smart [ESSAY ALERT]

Default What is smart [ESSAY ALERT]

So, a few days ago, my school handed out packets of vocab words for a national spelling bee.

The previous year, I hadn't studied one bit and I got second place in the whole entire school. I'm sorry to brag, but I'm personally a MASSIVE book nerd. If you grind your brain off with books, you'll eventually read the same words so many times that you memorize how to spell them - including their meaning purely from context! It's a method I've tried and tested. I just wanted to see how far I could get in this spelling bee. And I was beaten by the first place winner, whom I shall call Larry.

Larry is like this super smart kid that's so smart, his classroom teacher regularly gets (and announces) emails about Larry's [insert thing here] award, certificate, whatever for being smart. Like, on a scale of one to ten in terms of smart-i-ness, he's a 12.

At least, tis my perspective.

I am maybe a 6 if Larry were a 10. I'm a straight A+ student, and my overall average is like a 97. Now, I know what you're thinking: "dis beech be such a brag umg *** now she's bragging about her bragging pft excuses" but it made me think... If someone like me thought of someone like Larry as that smart, what about the regents kids? They might've thought of me as a Larry, with their D+ averages and whatnot.

Who would be Larry's Larry?

Is there an infinite chain of Larrys?

One day, I noticed that Larry wasn't so hot in a few aspects of life. He has friends, yeah, but he was a bit insensitive. I feel like, if you're smart, you'd at least try to avoid confrontations with other people. Making friends is easier than dealing with enemies, right? But this Larry kid was up in some other guy's face.

What is smart? What is intelligence? If you knew a lot of things in great detail, would you be smart? If you were able to avoid social problems and get along with everyone, would you be smart? If you could solve puzzles, explain arguments, and logically think your way around everything - would you be smart? But I don't think grades are a good representation of how smart you are.

I may have good grades, but I can tell you - I'm not that intelligent. I'm just a stupid person with good genes. I waste half my life away staring at a computer screen. I don't study. I don't think. I just learn very quickly, and that's all there is. I bet you that if you took a failing student and gave them an ASHIUN family like what I have, they'd turn into a straight A student.

What is smart :c
    Click spoilies for siggy!

Maybe theres an infinite chain of Larrys... Like,
    Larry has a larry...
    And his larry has a larry
    And that larry has a larry
    And it's endless...
    ktnxbai

Master Sorcerer

That was deep.

But seriously,

Nobody's perfect, you know? Smart can mean a lot of things, to different people, but I'm not smart enough to answer that question. :c

See? I referenced "smart" as "I'm not that good at thinking that deep." (Or whatever idkkkkkkkkkkk)

But yet to some other people smart can just mean

Straight A's, etc., like you just said.

But being smart doesnt mean perfect, which everyone knows. (Or should know)

Because, Larry can be that guy who's super smart, but is a huge jerk.

Or that Larry can be that super nice kid, and is average at school.

OMG, see? I'm using "smart" as that kid who gets good grades.

Okay, I'm just repeating myself.

Smart can also mean he's good at quick thinking, getting around things, even criminals have to plan stuff. You can't get good grades for that! (But don't be a criminal.)

Smart can also mean you know common sense. Like, he knows when to shut up and when to speak up. (I'm talking about those awkward situations where what you say can make things worse.)

I know now is the time to shut up.
    If you didn't get a thing I said Im sorry.
    Last edited by Swertip; 12-14-2014 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Something came out wrong
    lorem ipsum

Cursed

I didnt read too much of it but theres logic smart and academic smart. Reasoning to get an answer and getting told an answer is the difference.

Theres hundreds of books on that kinda stuff (most being religous in some way if that would annoy you)

I got a idea

You go and marry larry (when your older), have a kid

Name him einstein and wait for the future
    Yes... I am a Prussian now. Forget planes, I use muskets and shoot frenchmen with muskets. Rip old Lennart. #LordLenin #Lenin4pres

Quote Originally Posted by _Lennart_ View Post
    I got a idea

You go and marry larry (when your older), have a kid

Name him einstein and wait for the future
    I LOLED SO HARD
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Hey iToaster Mind if You Can Toast My Buns?

When I beat someone in LoL

Changed My Name From busa3o0d To iToaster