Thread: Tools of the Trade

Squire

Default Tools of the Trade

So what tools besides Novashell are (is? I hate english) everyone using to develop their games?

Here's a few of mine.

Blender - Open Source platform independant 3d modelling app with an insane feature list. I use this for a lot of the graphics in the game I'm currently working on. The internal renderer can easily render with orthographic projection making isolinear objects pretty easy to make. It can also output to any format Novashell supports, or your favorite graphics editor.

Gimp - 2d image editor. I actually haven't started to use Gimp for my project yet as tablet support is broken in Windows (has been for like 3 years - bleh), but this will change soon as I'm migrating over to Linux.

Freemind - Mind mapping software. I use this tool to help me visually organize my brainstorms. I also use it for my game design document.

Context - A free code editor, as recommended by Seth in his tutorials. Though it seems a bit buggy.. every now and then it decides it doesn't like the enter key. It does have fairly customizable syntax highlighting though, which is good for the various additions/changes to Lua's syntax in Novashell.

Lesser Knight

Lua 5.1 Binaries - I can't stress how useful having an interactive interpreter is, especially when learning how to use Lua.

Lua Addons - This page looks like it has a lot of interesting programs, but I haven't personally checked any of them out.

SciTE - This is the editor I use, of course real coders use emacs or vi. :P

Audacity - Decent, free recording software.