Thread: Feature request: sticky properties window

Lesser Wizard

Default Feature request: sticky properties window

The closest analogy I can think of is in Dreamweaver. No matter what element you click on in DW you have a persistent window which shows the properties of that element (or basic properties if nothing is clicked - or something with no special properties).

Having to constantly right-click and dismiss dialogs is kinda a pain - whereas if you had the option of a persistent window which always shows the properties of the clicked element(s) that could save tons of clicks...

Here's a screenshot of Dreamweaver - you can see the properties "panel" at the bottom.

http://cws.internet.com/img/screensh...eamweaver2.gif

Lesser Knight

So a non-modal dialog that stays on top?

Lesser Wizard

Yes, just like the other persistent windows that exist now. Draggable, dismissable, etc.

Hmm, I like the idea, but I wish my dialog box wasn't so huge and ugly, it doesn't really fit well. Also, the idea of clicking OK or Cancel (it won't accept any changes made in that case) is lost.

Has anyone ever used the Cancel button I wonder though, maybe it's not needed, after all, Undo can do the same thing, overkill maybe.

Hmm, actually I think the big issue is the my method of changing tiles/sprites - it doesn't just modify their parameters, it completely kills, then reinitializes them, so the OK button is a logical way of saying "I'm ready for you to reinitialize everything now". If editing a lot of tiles on a non-modal tool window I may have to reinitialize every tile everytime you change focus from it. Hmm.

For now, you can use Ctrl-E to pop-up the highlighted properties, a little quicker than right click. I need to fix it so ESCAPE will cancel all dialog boxes as well. Although in the case of properties, it would mean losing your changes.. maybe I'll just dump the CANCEL button and make ESCAPE do the only option, "Ok"..
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Well, for Dreamweaver (not that this is the gold standard) the change get's "applied" when focus leaves a particular field. so "onblur" = ok.
    and to undo something would just be ctrl-z or something...

This is not a big deal, it's just a thought given that it can save alot of clicking.