Thread: Novashell Roadmap?

Lesser Wizard

Default Novashell Roadmap?

I apologize for asking leading, open-ended questions My goal is perhaps to tease out more information from Seth regarding Novashell.

Is there a roadmap or something that talks about what your plans are for Novashell? I mean what are the kinds of things we can expect to start seeing in the builds? What is the "big idea" behind Novashell? I've seen hints of this with the cool hierarchical structure and modding abilities.

Sorry,more poking:

Will there be an inventory system built in?
    Will there be a dialog system?
    Can levels be generated dynamically "in-game"?
    Will there be any battle systems like real-time , turn based, rpg style, etc.

The reason I ask is because I know things are not only in flux but are constantly expanding. If an inventory system is going to be built in, then I wont bother trying to recreate one and just focus on other things first. If there's not going to be a dialog system (of the particular style I"m thinking of like most console rpgs) then I can work on that code.

So, again if I'm being too nosy or premature in asking feel free to ignore me I'm basically curious about what I should be focusing time on as custom coding and await the other features I can just plug into.

No problem, I understand completely.

Here's my basic plan: (subject to change.. )

* Will be putting in an item/generic database system. This can be used with many things, but I'll have the Top View RPG using it as an example for items.

* There already is a basic dialog system (top view rpg's ask/choice system), I'll be expanding on it and making it more configurable, for instance, to be able to plug in an item list and see graphic things shown in a standard "RPG style store". Also, ways to format it. Underneath, there is actually a pretty full featured GUI system (based on ClanGUI).

* More ways to generate/modify levels will be available. Right now you could do it by pasting entities everywhere (Beer invaders does this to make the enemy waves) but it would be a bit tedious for say, pasting dungeon pieces.. instead we need a way to group MANY entities and paste giant chunks in code, similar to how the editor does it. Could be useful for a lot of things actually.

I think a big strength of the engine is to allow map sizes to grow/shrink and have persistent modifications, so this will be definitely be a focus. Hmm, maybe a random dungeon example...

* All battle systems be 100% scripted, I think I'll only be using real-time in the examples. Top view RPG example is going to get more advanced, and use weapons and magics, and have a GUI. Don't think I personally will do any other battle systems.

Basically I'm focusing selfishly on the systems I need in my own RPG.

The map format should be backwards compatible from here on out, so in general the worst thing that should happen is after an upgrade you'll have to change some scripts that get errors, and decided if you want to use new features or not.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Cool

you rock seth...

Lesser Wizard

Random dungeons.... that would make a great addition to the sample levels