Thread: Particles are fun!

Lesser Wizard

Default Particles are fun!

I poked around a bit with the demos to check out the particles implementation. Asking for docs is a ridiculous thing right now, so i'm happy just figuring things out, but I wondered how can I make the particles 'spin' as they flow out from a central location?

Also, is the particle PNG just a black and white image or can you do complex shapes/alpha stuff.

wondered how can I make the particles 'spin' as they flow out from a central location?
    Hmm, after looking through its docs here, it looks like that functionality might be missing... ? I only see "initial" random rotation, not rotating as the particle is moving. I might add it, hrm.

Also, is the particle PNG just a black and white image or can you do complex shapes/alpha stuff.
    I believe you can use any image you want as the particle. (full color 8 bit alpha is fine)

If (and this may not matter for many effects) you want to be able to set your particle to be any color, you have to start with white.

Otherwise, if you started with red and then tried to set the color to be green only (0, 255, 0) I think you'd get black, because there was no green in the first place - you only disabled the red and blue, leaving nothing to show.

I have a big performance improvement I'm working on right now, but hope to get to documenting the particle stuff (and adding the rest.. it's missing a few features..) soon!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

That would be great (spin). I could imagine that for many things like for instance creating a smoke puff. You have various size puffs created and they might have slightly random spins to them to have a nice chimney smoke effect.

Other thoughts:

1) define an element that particles "bounce" against
    2) particle emitters / consumers
    3) gravity (I'm guessing that's already there perhaps?)

Hello all, circular motion has been planned to be added in the next release of LinearParticle, you can use that to make "spinning galaxy"-like effect. I hope it helps that time .

Lesser Wizard

The effect I'm hoping for is having a spin on each particle. Imagine if you had a particle emitter for a smokestack. The smoke comes out and flows linearly - however if each "puff" of smoke had a slight spin it would add to the realism.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperstorm View Post
    The effect I'm hoping for is having a spin on each particle. Imagine if you had a particle emitter for a smokestack. The smoke comes out and flows linearly - however if each "puff" of smoke had a slight spin it would add to the realism.
    If you mean to make particles keep rotating after emission, it has already been implemented, you can check with example 4 of LinearParticle. Let me know if I get what you mean.

Lesser Wizard

Yes, that's totally it. I see the stars spinning. How is that exposed in Novashell?

Thanks galaxist, I'll check it out soon. I have a few more paticle things I need to add to get the full functionality.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

No problem.