Thread: Does Mother 1 have swearing?

Master Sorcerer

Default Does Mother 1 have swearing?

I love Earthbound and I want to play another Mother game. Turns out Mother 3 has swearing... Does the first one?
    discord: Applez#7650

Mother 3 literally only uses "Damn" and "Bastard". It's only used once or twice. I don't think that should detract you from playing it. It's not used frequently, either, and there aren't any other "bad words" other than the two listed.
    Plus, it really does make "that certain character" have a more interesting personality, as opposed to everyone else in the game.

It isn't as bad as what you commonly hear in real life (or Growtopia).

... And to answer your question, it does not have swears or slang. But please, don't get the Easy Ring patch.

Earthbound had multiple instances of "crap" (if that really qualifies as swearing in your opinion). The Japanese version of Earthbound had references to "a certain someone" being spanked. Yeah, Porky's parents are really abusive. Japanese Earthbound also did have some swearing. The amount of "die" in the Japanese Earthbound is aplenty. Wow...

Anyway,
    What I'm trying to get at is, unlike Nintendo's standards, Mother 3 is a direct translation of the Japanese game. Very few changes were made (Fassad's name for example), but they're consistent with the Japanese version.

EDIT:
    I doubt anyone will read this, but while reading up on Mother 3, I came across a site where one of the M3 translators (Tomato) posted stuff. He said this:

"Having run EarthBound communities for many years I was used to this sort of reaction from fans. Still, this reminded me how enormous of a deal swearing is for some people. The horrible deaths, blood, sexual innuendo, child neglect, corruption, animal cruelty, and all the other terrible things that exist in MOTHER 3 are no problem at all… but mention there’s some bad words (which aren’t that bad) and some people blow up. But that’s just how our culture is."
    Last edited by optimuswhat; 01-23-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    Watermelons...

Click below pls

This last one is from one of my favourite game series! That game series is Mother. Yeah!
    This is my pet Drago.

Quote Originally Posted by Applez View Post
    I love Earthbound and I want to play another Mother game. Turns out Mother 3 has swearing... Does the first one?
    Mother 1= 100% clean
    Mother 2= 95% clean (No swearing, but a few of 18+ references)
    Mother 3= idk% it was translated, unless you read Japanese

Thx Snowcookie
    Do great things in the past, and you'll get a good future.

There may be a few "harsh" words, but I haven't played it super recently. You should be fine if you're above the age of nine. Mother 3 has a few swears, but it is so much fun!
    @SpotlightR on Instagram
    Self-taught artist, car enthusiast, and audiophile.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by optimuswhat View Post
    Mother 3 literally only uses "Damn" and "Bastard". It's only used once or twice. I don't think that should detract you from playing it. It's not used frequently, either, and there aren't any other "bad words" other than the two listed.
    Plus, it really does make "that certain character" have a more interesting personality, as opposed to everyone else in the game.

It isn't as bad as what you commonly hear in real life (or Growtopia).

... And to answer your question, it does not have swears or slang. But please, don't get the Easy Ring patch.

Earthbound had multiple instances of "crap" (if that really qualifies as swearing in your opinion). The Japanese version of Earthbound had references to "a certain someone" being spanked. Yeah, Porky's parents are really abusive. Japanese Earthbound also did have some swearing. The amount of "die" in the Japanese Earthbound is aplenty. Wow...

Anyway,
    What I'm trying to get at is, unlike Nintendo's standards, Mother 3 is a direct translation of the Japanese game. Very few changes were made (Fassad's name for example), but they're consistent with the Japanese version.
    Thanks dude
    I'm fine with crap, just not (beaver) dam and bas-ket-tard

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spotlight View Post
    There may be a few "harsh" words, but I haven't played it super recently. You should be fine if you're above the age of nine. Mother 3 has a few swears, but it is so much fun!
    I'll never be able to play Mother 3 until I'm not under my Mom's control on what games I play

Thanks dude
    I'm fine with crap, just not (beaver) dam and bas-ket-tard

- - - Updated - - -

I'll never be able to play Mother 3 until I'm not under my Mom's control on what games I play
    Did mom get you in trouble?
    IGN: PUFFERY

http://www.growtopiagame.com/worlds/theghostishere.png

Xbox gamertag: KAOS FF Zack. If you play Destiny, feel free to invite me anytime.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by WindyLink560 View Post
    Did mom get you in trouble?
    No... I always tell here about what game I'm playing... I don't play bad games

Sitting in a corner and thinking about my life.

Mother 1 has no swearing,
    Mother 3 has swearing, but it's pretty rare
    7.8/10 Too much water - IGN

I play Club Penguin competitively.

Come visit MOONSIDE : The most colorful shop you'll ever see.

No... I always tell here about what game I'm playing... I don't play bad games
    That's a good thing to do.
    IGN: PUFFERY

http://www.growtopiagame.com/worlds/theghostishere.png

Xbox gamertag: KAOS FF Zack. If you play Destiny, feel free to invite me anytime.

Master Sorcerer

You're 10 right? That should be enough for Mother 1-3.
    Left.