Thread: Making Dink Games in Novashell?

Question Making Dink Games in NovaShell?

Is Novashell(NS) ready for dmods yet?

I was wondering if you had the 8 direction walking graphics of the different sprites(man, wizard .etc) like of dink. Also the lateral sitting picture of King?

When will inventory, and the status bar(hp, gold etc.) be added in NS?
    It would be nice to see a feature when dink can jump on up or down to platform of lesser height difference.

I read the tut a bit. They're good.

Is there any chance that NS would be able to make a 3d game in later versions?

Also, what is the expected time when NS is completed?

Thanks
    Last edited by Harsh-it; 05-28-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Unhappy Tired of waiting

Umm... Is there something wrong with my question? Somebody tell me, why I am not getting a reply.

And a general question for people here- I would soon start on my own game. But 1st I want to know how much complex(and difficult) lua is as compared to DinkC(or C)?

Hi, hmm, I missed your first post completely somehow.

As you can see in the Dink example, 8 direction walking works fine, (it's using the actual Dink bmps, they weren't touched up or anything) but you'd have to copy the .xml and bring in the other graphics yourself, maybe using the duck as a template.

Since the king is just one pic, that's even easier, like in the example, static pics can be used instead of animations.

3D - Well, it's a whole can of worms I don't feel like playing with right now, (I'm much more interested in AI and random level generation rather than playing with a 3dsmax exporter that nobody could use anyway) but who knows, optional 3D boned characters over the normal 2D rooms/walls would look ok and not be too much work, as there are some common formats to use.

Expected time to be done - Well, inventory/GUI issues are the biggies left, I'm actually working on that right now, trying to turn the RPG example into a polished little complete game. But I can't really give a date.

DinkC is crap and a dead end ultimately, lua is used in hundreds of games and will let you do some very complex things.

C on the other hand is pretty cool, but the scripting languages that use a very C-like syntax all had something I didn't like, which is why I went with the lua/luabind combo.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

As you can see in the Dink example, 8 direction walking works fine, (it's using the actual Dink bmps, they weren't touched up or anything) but you'd have to copy the .xml and bring in the other graphics yourself, maybe using the duck as a template.

Since the king is just one pic, that's even easier, like in the example, static pics can be used instead of animations.
    I was not clear. I have learnt how to add sprites to NS. I actually wanted to know if you had the bmp graphics of Different sprites walking in 8 directions and a lateral view of king.
    I just found that there are only 3 direction walking bmp graphics of duck. But in game it walks in 6 directions. Does the game engine automatically inverts the images?

And are you still planning to do a Dink Smallwood 2 in future. OR you don't mind somebody else making it on Nova Shell.

In the .xml "visual profiles", you can set it up to mirror any sprite, so generally you only need up, down, and the left (or right) and you can mirror the rest.

You just need the original Dink sprites? You can grab them in bmp form here.

There are no other sprites of the "King" guy from Dink, Justin only did that one sprite, no 3d models were made of that guy.

I may do an official Dink sequel someday (already been designed actually!), so I'd prefer nobody else confused things by releasing an unofficial version.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Thumbs up DS2, WoW!! :D

{I probably misusing the terms to create such a confusion. }
    I have known about that zip from TDN. It has 4 direction graphics for most people. I read in its readme b4 that you made 3d models for most people(soldier etc). So I thought it would be possible to get the other four direction(to make total 8 like we have for dink) graphics.
    But it's OK. Now I don't feel much need for it.

Thanks for your help.

I'll try to learn lua from the links in the tutorial. And when I encounter any problem then I'll need to bother you again.

I may do an official Dink sequel someday (already been designed actually!),
    So what is the status. Will it be released with or after the RPG you are currently working on? Would it be based on Novashell or later on something more advanced.(eg a 3d engine )?

Ah, you want extra angles/frames of dink art? Nothing is available for that, sorry.

o what is the status. Will it be released with or after the RPG you are currently working on? Would it be based on Novashell or later on something more advanced.(eg a 3d engine )?
    Well, it's not in production so there is no release date planned (c'mon, it's more fun to design a whole world from scratch!) but I jot down more notes when I think of things. I'm letting it simmer on the stove for a bit.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lightbulb

can i make whit this novashell game cration system, a great d-mod?

Thx,

Gweanar
    I love it when a plan comes together

Serf

Harsh-it

probably something that rotated the image would work. No clue how to do that though. As far as dink is concerned, the graphics are getting extremely dated, something like what seth is doing with his pet rpg project is probably a better idea.

to that effect, 3d models would probably be better than original dink graphics.

I'd do them myself if we could simply use the 3d models instead of the renders of the models.