Thread: Running Dink under Wine

Super Moderator

Default Running Dink under Wine

I've been toying with the idea of installing Dink on my linux box. Does anyone here have any experience running it under Wine or a similar program? I love the game, I've just been slowly weening myself off Windows for awhile and would hate to have to give it up

Lesser Knight

Get Wine, if you have Debian based distro, then just hit this in the console :

sudo apt-get install wine

Or you can go on the WineHQ download page to get it : http://www.winehq.org/site/download

then just hit this in the console :

wine "dinksmallwood108.exe"

Then the installer will launch

Maybe after that, you will have some problems ton find out where dink is installed... then go in your home folder, hit CTRL+H to show hided-files and enter in the .winefolder, there you'll find a drive_c folder and in it, a Program Files forlder like in windows, and in this one the Dink Smallwood folder.

To launch dink, enter this in the console :

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Dink Smallwood/dink.exe

Good luck
    I'm belgian and I speak french, so excuse my poor english, I do my best

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptiz View Post
    Get Wine, if you have Debian based distro, then just hit this in the console :

sudo apt-get install wine

Or you can go on the WineHQ download page to get it : http://www.winehq.org/site/download

then just hit this in the console :

wine "dinksmallwood108.exe"

Then the installer will launch

Maybe after that, you will have some problems ton find out where dink is installed... then go in your home folder, hit CTRL+H to show hided-files and enter in the .winefolder, there you'll find a drive_c folder and in it, a Program Files forlder like in windows, and in this one the Dink Smallwood folder.

To launch dink, enter this in the console :

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Dink Smallwood/dink.exe

Good luck
    Thanks for the tips, I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see what happens

Super Moderator

So far so good. It installed just fine, and I was able to get right into the game. I didn't have much of a chance to play around yet (I did this while at work on my laptop), so I may find some bugs later on down the road. I'll post in this thread if I come across any. Also, if anyone is interested, I'm running Ubuntu Edgy on a Dell Inspiron 1000.

Super Moderator

Just a quick update, my laptop has officially crapped out on me (The lid switch gave out, and I'm too lazy to open it up and start messing around.). I've got an old box that's in the process of being updated, and I'll most likely end up sticking Linux on it. I should be back up and trying to break it by the end of the year