Thread: Novashell in Linux -- First Impression

Serf

Default Novashell in Linux -- First Impression

My System:
    Ubunutu Linux (gnome desktop)
    P4 2.0Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB

First of all, I'd like to say Novashell really looks like it has great potential. I'm a non-programmer who recently switched to Linux and I'm trying to deal with not being able to use Game Maker anymore. Also I now understand the importance of being able to make games that will run on all 3 of the big OS's.

One thing I noticed immediately is that Novashell is not usable if you're running Beryl. It's incredibly slow and takes forever to even kill if you make the mistake of loading it with Beryl running. It behaves the same whether run in fullscreen or window mode. Even the more intense 3d games I play run smooth with Beryl, so I can't really understand this issue. It's definitely a mild nuisance having to switch windows managers just to load Novashell. I'm guessing it has something to do with my second observation.

Secondly, it would be much nicer if the app was built to take advantage of the X desktop features (i.e. titlebar, built in menus, and separate windows for the toolbars) rather than having its own interface. It just feels really "heavy", especially if you've got to drag the window and it needs to re-render the GUI). I'm guessing it's designed this way so it can be run from a console without x?

Other than those minor issues, great work! Looks like it's coming right along, and I'll definitely be playing with it as it develops further.

Squire

Hmm, odd. It works fine under Beryl for me.

My setup:

Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2ghz
    Geforce 7900GT
    1GB Memory

Running Ubuntu Studio 7.04

Do you have the latest GLX Drivers?

My only issue with Novashell under Linux so far is that it randomly crashed once while I was playing audio in Xine. Could be a coincidence though as I haven't tested further. Ubuntu Studio has a rather crazy audio setup anyways.