Thread: How to know if it's GL supported

Serf

Default How to know if it's GL supported

Hello I'm a newbie using the lib, I started looking at it becouse I wanted a open source object oriented lib, so its very good to find this.

I want to know if there's some how to know if openGL is supported? couse i think that it 'ill be nice to start it if possible, or start sdl.

Sorry for my english I'm from argentina.
    Thanks! bye

Master Sorcerer

ClanLib doesn't have a way to query whether OpenGL is supported or not. (Technically OpenGL is always available, I'm assuming you want to know if there's proper hardware acceleration)

The easiest way to figure it out would probably be to boot the GL target, then query the platform specific OpenGL interfaces (WGL, GLX or AGL) for acceleration. If no acceleration is available, destroy the GL target and boot the SDL one instead.

Unfortunately most cards today do support OpenGL acceleration - they just don't support it equally well. So the better way is to check which OpenGL renderer is being used (via glGetString), then switch to SDL for the ones you know is not up to the task.

Serf

First, thank's.
    My doubt come up becouse i'm developing in two completely different pcs.
    A celeron 300 and a PIV, and I'm abstracting some routines in a game abstract class.
    So I wanted to what you've said, initialize SDL in cases of an old machine, becouse my X server crashed when I try to use openGL. Of course that could be something of my computer.
    Again thank you, and I'll try what you said.
    And again sorry, if something is not clear in my posts is becouse i'm from Argentina and i write them with a dictionary
    Bye