Thread: Turn based games possible?

Serf

Default Turn based games possible?

Hi,

I've been looking at Novashell to sate my rookie game development itch. However, I'm not a real time game style person. I intend to make a turn based, tile based, strategy game with support for multiple players. My question is -- does this engine support turns? Is it something that I would code in without having to jump through crazy hoops? It seems like a great system if I can just get around that concern.

Thanks,

Austin Rich

Peasant

I'm just starting out in Novashell, but I can see several ways you COULD do this in Novashell. I'm writing a Incredible Machine puzzle type game as a way to get into the system and as such I have two states the game can be in - 'go' mode, where stuff falls and things happen and 'build' mode, where the player places bits. I'm not having trouble doing that - I just put a function on each device that sets its internals properly to 'go' or 'stop', whatever.

I can see you being able to do it several different ways :
    * You could have each piece be an entity, with a brain. Each turn, wipe out all the goals for each brain, let the player (and ai), set goals for each. Then set it to run for a set time, then wipe all goals, start a new turn. That'd work - could be like Combat Mission, too, whose turn based combat was the best thing ever (Combat Mission let you set orders, then ran a simulation for 60 seconds, then let you give orders again).

* For a more traditional sorta model, don't give them brains, just let the player move them, whatever the rules for that are. Then have an end turn button to let the computer player do the same (disabling the player from moving), then repeat. Shouldn't be that hard...

Lesser Knight

lol I've just recently discovered NS, but if I was able to make a rudimentary TBS in Dink, it's pretty safe to assume it's possible here. Ah... those were the days. Half the fun was figuring out creative ways to get things to work within the constraints. I'll be watching NS very closely...