Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: New WOTD Voting System

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,958

    Default New WOTD Voting System

    As Seth has mentioned numerous on numerous occasions, the current World of the Day ranking system is a little unfair.

    There may be dozens of awesome unknown worlds that haven't caught Seth's attention. So, that's why I am suggesting this new idea: The WOTD Voting System.

    Basically it works like this:

    There would be a screen that you could open (via settings or by a command). Opening this screen would show a tally of the top 10? most voted worlds for that day.

    To vote, there will be a little gap at the bottom of the tally for you to write a world name. Each IP address will be able to vote once per day (so if you have a siblings, you'll need to agree on one).

    By implementing this, I believe it will give the players more power over what world(s) win WOTD. I also believe it is a good way for unknown or new worlds to get noticed.

    Thank for you taking the time to read my suggestion, if you have any feedback or suggestions, please leave a comment below.

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer maplepro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Eagle View Post
    As Seth has mentioned numerous on numerous occasions, the current World of the Day ranking system is a little unfair.

    There may be dozens of awesome unknown worlds that haven't caught Seth's attention. So, that's why I am suggesting this new idea: The WOTD Voting System.

    Basically it works like this:

    There would be a screen that you could open (via settings or by a command). Opening this screen would show a tally of the top 10? most voted worlds for that day.

    To vote, there will be a little gap at the bottom of the tally for you to write a world name. Each IP address will be able to vote once per day (so if you have a siblings, you'll need to agree on one).

    By implementing this, I believe it will give the players more power over what world(s) win WOTD. I also believe it is a good way for unknown or new worlds to get noticed and win.

    Thank for you taking the time to read my suggestion, if you have any feedback or suggests, leave a comment below.
    Its a very good idea, but sometimes people get their friends(if they have many) to vote for their world, and sometimes people vote for famous people's worlds. It would be great if Seth can still decide whether a world can get WOTD, if the world has lots of votes. No offence at all to anyone
    cn som1 ummmm tel me y fredy fassssssssssttttttbear iz da ummmm veli veli slo plz thx u fr ur ans to my umm veli veli gud quezton!!!11

    IGN: Silently

    Quote Originally Posted by i20HH View Post
    Everybody poops.



    When I see haters like this one:

    My reaction:

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer optimuswhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In an Igloo in Canada
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Desperate people would use proxies to vote. Seth would need some kind of defence against that, as well as making new accounts. This counts for iOS UDID's, so unless users in Growtopia aren't skilled in iOS hacking, then this idea would work.
    Watermelons...

    Click below pls



    This last one is from one of my favourite game series! That game series is Mother. Yeah!
    This is my pet Drago.


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,958

    Default

    If people do end up getting friends or bribing others to vote for their world then it really isn't problem. They're only going to win for one day, it's not like they have unlimited worlds.

    Besides, a few friends over thousands of people is a big difference. If people were to get friends to help their vote count I'm almost certain the publics vote would overpower them.

    There would be many ways to use this to your advantage, but you can only hack your proxy a number of times before being caught. The constant location change would be a suspicion.

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer optimuswhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In an Igloo in Canada
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Eagle View Post
    If people do end up getting friends or bribing others to vote for their world then it really isn't problem. They're only going to win for one day, it's not like they have unlimited worlds.

    Besides, a few friends over thousands of people is a big difference. If people were to get friends to help their vote count I'm almost certain the publics vote will overpower them.
    Selling trophies.
    They can sell their trophies and basically ruin the economy.
    Watermelons...

    Click below pls



    This last one is from one of my favourite game series! That game series is Mother. Yeah!
    This is my pet Drago.


  6. #6
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    696

    Default

    I think this is a fantastic idea.

    Giving the public more power makes the game funner (yes, funner is a word) meaning the game will get more popular.

    Even if this idea does not work, I think the world with the most like each day should show up on the menu for the entire day, in a red box, instead of a purple.

    What a great idea!
    Common Bugs: http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...highlight=bugs
    Tips and Tricks: http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...dvanced+player

    Believe you can and you're halfway there. - Theodore Roosevelt

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer ShadowSURF3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    I really like this idea, and I think it will be good for those worlds that nobody has noticed yet!

    Good thinking!

  8. #8
    Knight Darin54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spain, Madrid
    Posts
    65

    Talking Cool.

    Voting is alwaays cool.
    I want the best for all the growtopians
    -------
    New World: Residentopia, I cleared all the dirt alone.

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer Shikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alabama, USA.
    Posts
    3,271

    Default

    Awesome! This would be great for unknown worlds, newer worlds, etc. Proxy hacking wouldn't be much of a problem, iOS UD-ID Would be easily catchable if they didn't know what they were doing.. Lol.

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer optimuswhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In an Igloo in Canada
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shikaru View Post
    Awesome! This would be great for unknown worlds, newer worlds, etc. Proxy hacking wouldn't be much of a problem, iOS UD-ID Would be easily catchable if they didn't know what they were doing.. Lol.
    Proxy networks... Once Growtopia is released on PC, it's gonna be full end massive hacking with people using proxies and offline hacks. It's still completely possible that trophies will be sold for less than 50 WL's.
    It could, however, suggest worlds! That could prevent proxies from causing too much damage.

    There's an app to fake UDID's, by the way... So there's some defence if someone decompiled the coding for it, that way, you can have a defence against iOS hackers. Infact, I believe Graalonline Era/Classic/Zone have a type of "Anti UDID".
    Watermelons...

    Click below pls



    This last one is from one of my favourite game series! That game series is Mother. Yeah!
    This is my pet Drago.


  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer Cade83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    I like this because there are really great worlds out there that Seth and Hamumu will never most likely notice. And it's great for the public to have more say in which world they like the best instead of just two people. But I think there should be two different trophies. One for the original WOTD, and the other for the Public World of the Day (PWOTD) so there are two different achievements.
    Even though I quit and I'm gone, I just want to say that I really miss this community.
    (Is it still similar to the way it used to be?)

  12. #12
    Lesser Wizard Frostninja99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Somewhere awesome
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Nice idea but i think that is a lot so how about the top five.i think a lot of people get tricked to going to that world like ANGEL WING GIVEAWAY!!!!! GETTING THERE NO GIVEAWAY,WORLD GET NUMBER ONE
    Long live the name
    Frostninja

    SO FOREVER LIVE

    FROSTNINJA!!!!

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer Shikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alabama, USA.
    Posts
    3,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by optimuswhat View Post
    Proxy networks... Once Growtopia is released on PC, it's gonna be full end massive hacking with people using proxies and offline hacks. It's still completely possible that trophies will be sold for less than 50 WL's.
    It could, however, suggest worlds! That could prevent proxies from causing too much damage.

    There's an app to fake UDID's, by the way... So there's some defence if someone decompiled the coding for it, that way, you can have a defence against iOS hackers. Infact, I believe Graalonline Era/Classic/Zone have a type of "Anti UDID".
    No offense but what year do you live in? If the security is advanced enough, which I am fairly sure growtopia's will be, proxy hacking would be caught by the server and banned before the person could blink. Proxy hacking isn't 100%, security has advanced quite a lot since 2005, js. And I know/knew about UD-ID faker, one of my tools had it, I don't have it downloaded anymore....but yea it exsists, it can also completely wipe your iPad if it screws up. And Is also easily detectable by servers.

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Juan Alfredo Guevara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    Dynamical IPs. In fact, many people have those and use them to evade BANS and curses. I have a dynamical one, tho I have never usedbit for such purpose. The worst part is, they change in different manners. One every month, every day, or even, Whenever they turn off and on the Internet, they have a new IP. People can abuse it to get votes.

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer optimuswhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In an Igloo in Canada
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shikaru View Post
    No offense but what year do you live in? If the security is advanced enough, which I am fairly sure growtopia's will be, proxy hacking would be caught by the server and banned before the person could blink. Proxy hacking isn't 100%, security has advanced quite a lot since 2005, js. And I know/knew about UD-ID faker, one of my tools had it, I don't have it downloaded anymore....but yea it exsists, it can also completely wipe your iPad if it screws up. And Is also easily detectable by servers.
    I already mentioned that there's a defense against UDID Faker. Did you even read it properly?
    Also Dynamic IP's, as Juan said. Technology for security can be advanced, but that also means technology for hacking is more advanced.

    Saying "no offense" already says your being offensive.
    Watermelons...

    Click below pls



    This last one is from one of my favourite game series! That game series is Mother. Yeah!
    This is my pet Drago.


  16. #16
    Master Sorcerer BenXxxXZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South-East Asia, Singapore
    Posts
    3,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSURF3R View Post
    I really like this idea, and I think it will be good for those worlds that nobody has noticed yet!

    Good thinking!
    Me too we can support the worlds we like
    Username:
    fooZae

  17. #17
    Administrator Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    5,376

    Default

    Just a note to say yeah, we're thinking along the same lines. We actually had a more automated system nearly ready that would randomly give WOTD to one of the top 20 worlds (ranked in visits that day, and only if they've never receive it before) but at the last minute aborted .. why? Because I know what would happen, /broadcast scams would get HORRIBLE .. in an effort to get enough visitors to get a WL. I think it would end up pretty badly. (A WOTD trophy is worth a lot, so scammers would target it..)

    So we're still working on it.. like maybe, you don't get points for a visitor unless they stay more than 5 minutes or such, but I guess the same thing would happen. "I'll do the give away after 100 people are here!" (never does it, but gets the points for all the people that waited more than 5 mins)

    So as unfair as it is now, it might still better than that. (which essentially is player voting with their time)

    We're still thinking about it, but we do want to come up with a fully automated FAIR system that won't result in more broadcast spam.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer Tohru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,115

    Default

    As many people say, there are some cons to this solution. I can suggest another solution.

    We can:
    1. Have a window pop up, then vote for a world OTHER THAN YOUR OWN!!!! There will be a chart of worlds @Seth or @Hamumu may suggest so people won't log on different accounts. Moderators may be able to vote too, if they checked out the world. If there is a tie(s), then we can just cast another vote.
    2. We can build a government and make it look like a government so we can vote in my country's ways. But of course, we all must know the rules. No paperwork, and this can be a learning experience for kids who want to be in the U.S Government or other countries that could be like ours. Mods will be in the government sadly, so we should use a world called GOVERNMENT world locked by Seth. But, we shouldn't bother them in the building part and the voting. Voting will pop up along with the news.


    If there are anymore suggestions, please post or reply to this thread/post.

  19. #19
    Master Sorcerer mowgli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United states of America - Orlando
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tohru View Post
    As many people say, there are some cons to this solution. I can suggest another solution.

    We can:
    1. Have a window pop up, then vote for a world OTHER THAN YOUR OWN!!!! There will be a chart of worlds @Seth or @Hamumu may suggest so people won't log on different accounts. Moderators may be able to vote too, if they checked out the world. If there is a tie(s), then we can just cast another vote.
    2. We can build a government and make it look like a government so we can vote in my country's ways. But of course, we all must know the rules. No paperwork, and this can be a learning experience for kids who want to be in the U.S Government or other countries that could be like ours. Mods will be in the government sadly, so we should use a world called GOVERNMENT world locked by Seth. But, we shouldn't bother them in the building part and the voting. Voting will pop up along with the news.


    If there are anymore suggestions, please post or reply to this thread/post.

    that's not actually helpfull at all, the whole concept should be to reduce the involvements of devs and(well mods?) I heard the wotd is a program and is automatically picking those suggested worlds, but for now it is for some parts unfair, but with this whole government and voting system you will put the devs back, behind their desks and let them make a new design and voting program, which will just give them more work to do and it will ask more involvement by picking a wotd. We need to get this game more independent which means that we don't need devs to do regular tasks in this game with the hope they just do their daily activities like caring for their children (if they do have them) or work on a new software/game/tool or make new packs, for now it is fine.

    The wotd is just an item, nothing more (besides an indication to be the world that has used a massive super broadcasts or a good entertainment)

Similar Threads

  1. WOTD For me :(
    By FireBlaize in forum World Showcase
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM
  2. Title system Mission system Skill level system
    By JYW in forum Suggestion Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  3. WOTD?
    By NinjaPRO in forum Suggestion Box
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •