Thread: preserving default app settings...

Default preserving default app settings...

hi seth,

it's great to see you're working on the shell again.

i had setup my app to run windowed at a specific resolution. another great update you gave us...thanks. but when i downloaded the mar 14th update. i lost my app settings and i lost the 'world/games' i had dl'd from the novashell site, including my own. glad i kept a backup.

is there any way of retaining the app settings and the worlds we have already loaded? or did i just do something unintelligent when i dl'd the update?

thnx for the great work on this awesome engine.

bump.......?

Hey Harrio - preferences should stick around after installing new versions.

When uninstalling the old version, choose NO when it asks you if you also want to delete all installed worlds, and it will keep them around.

But, it will overwrite the example worlds with the latest versions.

Do you use Vista? The installer now assigns more permissions for the novashell dir, this fixed a problem where it was continually asking me for permission if I tried to copy a file into the dir.

New version coming later today.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

i'm currently using the mac version...

Erp, ah ok, that explains a few things.

What I'm currently doing on the mac is a bit sloppy, everything is self contained inside its app file, including the worlds and preferences.

To restore your settings, you can use the following procedure though:

1. Rename your original novashell.app to novashell_old.app.
    2. Install the latest version, drag the new novashell.app onto your desktop or somewhere.
    3. Right click novashell_old.app and choose "Show package contents".
    4. Navigate to the Contents/Resources directory.
    5. Do the same procedure for the new novashell.app so you have both open and see both of their Contents/Resources.
    6. Copy prefs.dat from the novashell_old one into the novashell one.
    7. If you have any worlds you've made, you can do the same by navigating to the worlds directory and copying world files.

I assume you use a similar method for running downloaded worlds, although, there may be a way to associate a .novashell extension with the novashell.app, it should be able to run them from any other directory as long as the path/name is sent to the app as a parm. Hrm.

Maybe an OSX developer can step in and offer some suggestions on how I should set things up.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

thanks for the help seth,

i guess if i had thought about it enough i could have come up with that. boy do i feel brain lazy. i'll try not to ask questions i should be able to figure out, so you'll have more time to work on the engine.

harrio