Thread: Is it possible to make standalone games?

Lesser Wizard

Default Is it possible to make standalone games?

Is it possible yet to make standalone games w/o the tons o directories, etc.

Lesser Knight

Not at the moment, but Seth indicated in his readme post that he plans to add an archival format for Novashell worlds.

As for a standalone distributions, the Novashell page says "free to use and distribute stand-alone games." So, I suppose you are free to distribute a copy of Novashell with your world. Of course, you'll have to roll your own installation package (at least at the moment.)

Lesser Wizard

Ah I get it.
    Thanks!

Quick note, a few days ago I added a very simple license.txt file to the windows build of Novashell that 'officially' gives permission to make games and repackage as needed for personal or commercial projects, to make everything clear.

Will add it to the other builds too.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Can you document somewhere what the minimum fileset that's needed for a standalone game?
    I assume it's everything except the sample worlds.

Right now I think the only safe way is to agree and say just get rid of the example worlds (but keep your own there), and modify the startup.lua in "base/script/system" to load your own world instead. (You don't want them seeing the world selection screen)

You could delete base/audio to get rid of about 130 KB of default sounds.

When the archiving system is ready you'll be able to say "Export world" and get the whole thing in three or four files. (...that's the plan anyway) It's possible to get tricky and attach the .wads directly to the end of the .exe but I dont think this is really a big deal so I probably won't worry about it to avoid the possible crossplatform headaches.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Peasant

Cool, I would like to make a game available for sale, but a few issues. How do you make the game.exe automatically open the game without a "select this game menu"

And how do you disable the keys for editing the game? It would be weird for a player to stumble into editing mode.

All in all very cool engine!

Tinnycan:

How do you make the game.exe automatically open the game without a "select this game menu"
    The easiest way to do this is open the editor and under Options->Novashell System Properties add the parm "MyWorld.novashell" to the "command_line_parms" data entry. (Assuming your world was called "MyWorld")

And how do you disable the keys for editing the game? It would be weird for a player to stumble into editing mode.
    Same as above, but add the parm -retail. The base scripts will notice this and disable the editor and cause the game to quit directly instead of going back to the world menu.

These parms are written to the prefs.dat file, so make sure you include that with your final distribution.

Note: If you want to play with this, use the latest version I just put up...
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Peasant

Very cool, thanks! But two other things,

Can you also disable the console when adding -retail param?

How would I go about adding a "Wait, do you want to save before exiting?" In case the user hits escape by accident. And I guess the ideal choice would be an editable menu when the user hits escape for -retail mode. I'm having a blast so far with the engine

Can you also disable the console when adding -retail param?
    Good idea, this will be in the next build.

How would I go about adding a "Wait, do you want to save before exiting?" In case the user hits escape by accident.
    This is all done in script and can be completely modified from the default behavior. Check the RPG top view example, if you hit escape while playing, it brings up a menu allowing them to resume or save and exit.

How it does this is in its OnKeyEscape() function in game_start.lua, it calls OnMainMenu() which is defined in gui/player_menu.lua.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies