• Nah

30 37.97%
  • I'm not sure

7 8.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ban Homework [DEBATE]

Master Sorcerer

Default Ban Homework [DEBATE]

Homework is a task set by teachers for students to do outside normal lessons – usually at home in the evening. Schools have been setting homework in developed countries for over a century, but until the past few decades usually only older students had to do it. More recently younger students have also been given homework by their primary or elementary schools. In England the government does not make schools give homework but it does set guidelines 1. Five year olds are expected to do an hour a week, increasing to three hours a week at 11 and ten hours or more a week at 16 2. American studies report the amount of homework being set for younger students doubling over the past twenty-five years or so, although some doubt these findings.

Discussion

OA = Point Against
    CP = Counter Point

OA1: Homework encourages students to work more independently, as they will have to at college and in their jobs. Everyone needs to develop responsibility and skills in personal organization, working to deadlines, being able to research, etc. If students are always “spoon-fed” topics at school they will never develop study skills and self-discipline for the future. A gradual increase in homework responsibilities over the years allows these skills to develop. For instance, to read a novel or complete a research project, there is simply no time at school to do it properly. Students have to act independently and be willing to read or write, knowing that if they struggle, they will have to work through the problem or the difficult words themselves. Diane Ravitch points out that a novel like Jane Eyre cannot be completed if it is not read at home – students have to work through it themselves.

CP1
    : Setting homework does little to develop good study skills. It is hard to check whether the homework students produce is really their own. Some students have always copied off others or got their parents to help them. But today there is so much material available on the internet that teachers can never be sure. It would be better to have a mixture of activities in the classroom which help students to develop a whole range of skills, including independent learning. Furthermore, if teachers want to develop independence in their students, students should be given a choice in the matter of homework. Otherwise, they’re not using their judgement and therefore they aren’t being independent at all.

O2: Having homework also allows students to really fix in their heads work they have done in school. Doing tasks linked to recent lessons helps students strengthen their understanding and become more confident in using new knowledge and skills. For younger children this could be practising reading or multiplication tables. For older ones it might be writing up an experiment, revising for a test and reading in preparation for the next topic. Professor Cooper of Duke University, has found that there is evidence that in elementary school students do better on tests when they do short homework assignments related to the test 1. Students gain confidence from such practise, and that shows when they sit the tests.

CP2: Homework does not ensure that students practise what they are taught at school. To practise what a student has been taught requires the presence of a teacher or tutor who can guide the student if they get something wrong. Homework, done by the student on their own, offers little support and is only a source of stress. If confused, the student may only come to dislike the topic or subject, which will only further reduce their ability to remember what they were taught.
    Last edited by Indicative; 08-08-2015 at 03:51 AM.

I wish will be ban homework in the Philippines.
    "I'm not Speed. I am the FREAKZ of the forums"
    FLYING PANTSU
    STYX HELIX - MYTH & ROID

The only time I like homework is when people don't do it so I can laugh at them.
    [FOCUSING ON GT FORUMS]

Beep... Boop...

Quote Originally Posted by Megazork View Post
    But bro, why does a middle-aged man working at a carnival need 14 fishnet stockings?

GrowID: Krazynewb
    TankID: KrazynewbGT

They usually give assignments which are harder to do than the lessons. Gives you more things to learn.

Or is it just me talking about Mathematics. Anyways, I think homework is just really just a thing that the teachers added in for some "fun" and less "boredom". Banning homework will pretty much lessen the burden of coming home after school. You can still review your lessons or just sit in front of your desk and play games.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrikov
    You are already dead. This is hell.

You need homework to practice the things you've learned.

What's the point of having a job (teacher) anyway if you're just going to get little kids to do it for you?
    "Signature"

Best let Solorien answer this one for us.
    Banned on the gt forums but not here, what a world

Homework kills my time,that's why I QUITE like it.
    I am the unicorn king of these forums. Bow down to me. (I'm a unicorn,not a human being)
    If u dun liek unikorns,don't expect mi tu have merci on u.
    I liek unikorns bcuz thei are ameizing wild animals,they are way bettr den humans.

Alliance with the dragons since 2016. #Dragicorns
    Ty barhoomi999 for the golden unicorn horn :3

I want to get ALL the achievements. {76/100} Ty MrDevil (BadDevilGT) for "Collector extraordinaire!"
    IGN: Pijus14

Wait a minute who are humans

Master Sorcerer

Lol.
    While I agree that giving homework to a person who doesn't want to learn is pretty much useless as that person won't do it or do it half-hearted, homework can improve people' who actually want to learn something and not to waste their time at school understanding of subjects. Homework deepens the knowledge that you got in class and makes you remember important facts longer. In fact, if people would actually try to understand every bit of information, I doubt that anyone would need to learn before tests (I always do math homework and in fact, I think that I didn't really revise anything for a test for around... 5 years now?).
    Come back and play in real life, not in a deep coffin that programmers are making even deeper for you and everyone around you.

Homework is a great tool if used right. For example in my classes there is no way possible the tax her could teach all that we need for the ap test at the end of the year. So we must read the text book to get everything that she could not teach in her time in class.

Most of you are saying it is wasting your time. I laugh knowing in that wasted time you would just be wasting your time playing games or doing something useless so that is a horrible argument.
    IGN: GhengisKhan
    Level: 44

Art done by Parpul/purple85

Quote Originally Posted by Indicative View Post
    Homework is a task set by teachers for students to do outside normal lessons – usually at home in the evening. Schools have been setting homework in developed countries for over a century, but until the past few decades usually only older students had to do it. More recently younger students have also been given homework by their primary or elementary schools. In England the government does not make schools give homework but it does set guidelines 1. Five year olds are expected to do an hour a week, increasing to three hours a week at 11 and ten hours or more a week at 16 2. American studies report the amount of homework being set for younger students doubling over the past twenty-five years or so, although some doubt these findings.

I will start.

Homework has little educational worth and adds nothing to the time spent in school. Some schools and some countries don't bother with homework at all, and their results do not seem to suffer from it. Studies show that homework adds nothing to standardised test scores for primary/ elementary pupils.
    It is just a preview of what you learned in class.
    ty aqua bb

In game name: KingyKing
    ITS HALLOWEEEEEEN

RIP Great Friends
    -Zeus(my daddyo)
    -Thermo(the kewl guy not entirely dead)
    -AramSevag(the savage not dead...yet)
    -iSparkels(the sparkliest of em all)
    -Shethrion(my waifu)
    -Blyoshi(the joy bringer)
    -Spotlight(the red nurse)

Quote Originally Posted by MyLegGuy View Post
    You need homework to practice the things you've learned.
    No you don't. At least a lot of people don't. Most people are capable of learning and remembering everything they learned in class without having to do the same stuff again at home. If I feel like I didn't quite understand some topic or don't remember some aspects, then I will do revision myself at home if I feel the need to. If you (not you in particular) don't care about your grades and never do homework then that's your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syberg View Post
    Lol.
    While I agree that giving homework to a person who doesn't want to learn is pretty much useless as that person won't do it or do it half-hearted, homework can improve people' who actually want to learn something and not to waste their time at school understanding of subjects. Homework deepens the knowledge that you got in class and makes you remember important facts longer. In fact, if people would actually try to understand every bit of information, I doubt that anyone would need to learn before tests (I always do math homework and in fact, I think that I didn't really revise anything for a test for around... 5 years now?).
    You're just naturally talented in math. I never do math homework since they hardly ever check it and I almost never even get a B or 4 (or whatever system you use) in math.

I think homework should be banned, it gives basically nothing to me and just wastes more of my time. If you listen in class and have a brain then you don't need to repeat those things at home. Plus, homework means your "school day" gets even longer. For example you spend 8 hours at school and then study 2 hours for tests, do homework for other classes and.. time to sleep or you'll be tired in the morning, have a bad mood, be unmotivated and have a bad day in general.
    School also causes way too much stress.

Default Ban homework!

It's not like I do it anyways. I still pass all my classes

I don't recall ever studying for an English test :\ *gets all A's*

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    There's a crystal clock? Oops, ok, will fix in an upcoming patch. Hey, there are a lot of items to keep track of in this game, easy to forget...
    @TheDisco

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    It's not like I do it anyways. I still pass all my classes
    That won't last long.
    IGN: GhengisKhan
    Level: 44

Art done by Parpul/purple85

More homework means more stress.

My teachers give me homework, but we don't HAVE to do it sometimes. Especially for math.

I do my homework because I don't want to get into trouble or anything, but I find that it's completely use less and makes us do school, when were on a break, and that's not fair!

Our school even does homework on weekends and it's such a bad decision... We still have to do chores, go to places, and then we have to do homework. So we get literally, no break!

It's good to have some homework but this is just going way to far...
    Smash that flag counter in the face

CLICK IT!!! http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...43973-CLICK-IT!!!

Featured Pokemon:

Ive also got a problem with that
    School starts so early so the students have time for the day
    WHY DO WE GET HOMEWORK THEN
    I'm german so my english is bad sometimes!

Wanna follow my instagram? https://instagram.com/tarek.art/

Have fun

Good luck solving a simple math problem in 30 minutes.

Homework = Practice = Faster Brain = Easier life.

To be honest, I like doing homework. Gives me something to do. It also gives me motivation to search related thing to it.
    but its the holidays! I got no homework, and I kinda feel dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Inches View Post
    Unless you are planning on living your whole life off those TV shows, your logic is oh so flawed.
    What about this logic?

Master Sorcerer
    ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▐

I enjoy school and homework.