Thread: Baby steps Install

Peasant

Default Baby steps Install

I'm trying to keep my question as specific as possible; brand new to programming. I tried Code::blocks, and now also have the Visual Studio express version (2008). I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, for all intents and purposes. All I want is to be able to use the ClanLib libraries in a project. I have Zlib, the Jpeg, and the PNG downloads (unzipped), and I have the DirectX SDK, and now I have the latest Microsoft Platform SDK...

As I understand it, what I need to do is somehow compile these things into a single project, and then generate a single .lib file from them which I can later reference like with 'iostream'... ? I really would like to be able to start developing a 2D project using ClanLib; I only became aware of the library from a book I bought which is supposed to be an introduction to C++ game programming, but the author spent only one paragraph on installing ClanLib, and basically all he says is "Download ClanLib and put it together and then use all these great classes and code!!!"
    So, if possible, I would like to use ClanLib with Code::Blocks, but if VisualStudioExpress is really the only way to do it, or the better way, then I'll use that instead...

Before I get a response telling me to look at the install win32 thing, or the readme files, I'm not that dense. I have looked at them, and still, some level of familiarity with IDEs is necessary. I don't have any. If anyone can help me out with some baby-steps to doing what I need to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Peasant

Sorry, I forgot to add this specific info; I have opened the 'configuration' file and tried to build it, but I think there is something else I need to do before that in order for it to work, as I receive the following errors;

------ Build started: Project: Configure, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    Linking...
    CVTRES : fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource. type:MANIFEST, name:1, language:0x0409
    LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
    Build log was saved at "file://C:\Documents and Settings\King of the House\Desktop\DISTANCE\Programming\ClanLib-0.8.0\Debug\Configure\BuildLog.htm"
    Configure - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I have the directories set for include and library files in the Tools-Options-Projects and Solutions-VC++ Directories to a folder that holds everything I downloaded for ClanLib, including ClanLib, Zlib, and the Jpeg and Png things I downloaded, each in their own folders. I have a feeling this has something to do with what I did wrong... but I really don't know.

Master Sorcerer

I believe that last error is fixed in a newer version of the 0.8.x series. Try download 0.8.1 instead.

If you find the explanation given in the readme files for 0.8.x bit too incomplete, try read the following installation guide:

http://clanlib.org/docs/clanlib-0.9....dows-msvc.html

It is written for ClanLib-0.9, but it is the same build system that ClanLib-0.8 uses and may help you get started with your book.

Peasant

I'm spent for tonight; have work early tomorrow, but I very much appreciate the suggestion, and the link - I'll have to dig into it tomorrow, but from a quick survey, I think it will be very helpful. Thanks

Peasant

Awesome!
    Just seeing it build the ClanCore and ClanApp and stuff... I was getting all giddy.
    It took me a while to get through it, but that little walkthrough was exactly what I needed. I'm very excited to start working with ClanLib - but I do have a bit of an anticipatory question...

In the guide, I was not able to fulfill these steps;

4 Select Project->Settings...
    Notice there are several configurations in which you can modify settings. Normally, these are 'Win32 Debug' and 'Win32 Release'. You switch between these in the 'Settings for:' droplist. In section 5 and 6 below, you need to modify both these settings (sections a for release setting, and sections b for debug settings).
    5 Select the 'C/C++' tab, and then Category 'Code Generation'
    6 For Release version, change the 'Use run-time library' to Multithreaded.
    7 For Debug version, change the 'Use run-time library' to Debug Multithreaded.

I think it's because the guide is specifically dealing with Visual Studio 2005-ish, and I've got the 2008 version. When I go to project->... there is no 'settings' option. There's 'properties', and another window I can get into (configuration manager?) that seems to be the closest thing to what the guide wants me to access...
    However, neither of those windows have a 'C/C++' tab, or a 'Code Generation' option. The configuration manager has a Release/Debug droplist, but it doesn't offer me the option of switching between Multithreaded/Debug Multithreaded as is suggested in the guide.
    Just wondering, is this going to give me problems? Do I need to find and change these options? Was I supposed to choose 'Console App' when making my blank project? I'm thinking I should probably just go ahead and try out some stuff, and see if it works - just figured I'd check in case this sort of thing has come up as an issue before.

Once more, thanks very much for the help!

=Edit=
    Gah! Before I forget; when I was generating the files from building ClanCore etc..., it made me a few items named as a debug version, Ex: 'clanapp-static-mt-debug', but it didn't generate the corresponding 'clanapp-static-mt' (I'm assuming this is the release version?) that the guide mentions...
    Is that a problem? Does that mean, like, I'll be able to debug and make a program, but my release version won't be compressed like it should be?

Hopefully these questions are brain-ticklers, not nuisances.

ClanLib Developer

I've updated the documentation to reflect 2008 versions. Could you please read through it again and see if there is any other mistakes.

Regarding the "but it didn't generate the corresponding 'clanapp-static-mt'", you need to build ClanLib in release mode for that. Best thing it to Batch Build entire ClanLib (use Build->Batch Build->Select All->Build).

Peasant

I AM ECSTATIC!
    I just got the 'Adventure Scene' Example to work... XD

I used batch build to make the release version items I needed - some of the projects failed, I'm not sure why or even which ones, but I'm content to use the ones that did work for now; if I got the adventure scene to work, then I've got the ones I need to follow along with my book at least.

After the batch build, I was having some linking problems - but I just kept looking around trying to figure out why it wasn't able to open 'dinput.lib'... in the end, I discovered that it was because I had downloaded the DirectX SDK for 2008, and my libraries were searching for names from the DirectX SDK from 2007 (the recommended one in the ClanLib install guide). The 2008 DXSDK has mostly the same filenames, but 'dinput' was named 'dinput8' and a few other things were different ...
    I didn't wanna go around changing a whole bunch of names or anything, so I just downloaded the DXSDK'07 and switched my settings to refer to those files instead.

Off to work again, but YAY!! My ClanLib appears to be functioning!!!
    Thanks for all the help!