View Poll Results: Chromebook or Laptop

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chromebook with Linux

0 0%
  • Windows laptop

13 100.00%

Thread: Should I get a Chromebook or LapTop?

Default Should I get a Chromebook or LapTop?

For those of you who say Chromebook sucks, this is something I'm doing because I can't really afford a high-end gaming laptop or anything.

Now, I can also get a Laptop that's around $400, but I don't know if it will be out of my price range by Christmas or not.

So its either a chromebook for $200-$300 or a windows laptop for $400+.

For the Chromebook, it would have to be an Intel based one so I can get Linux and Wine working.
    Then I would be able to set up Growtopia and Linux and even Team Fortress 2 if I go for one of the $300 as there is a Linux version of Steam.

It's pretty much up to you guys to sway me in the direction I should take. (Not really I just want your input)
    So let me know what I should do!

Also provide some good cheap laptops and Chromebooks I could get as well!
    Hi I'm Pikasack!

is this a real question? If you are an elderly man that only wants to check his email then, sure, get a chromebook.

Joined Growtopia July 16, 2013.
    You mess with the snake, you get the fangs!
    Hexadecimal number systems, giving programmers headaches since computers were invented. (or at least me)

Quote Originally Posted by darksnake99 View Post
    is this a real question? If you are an elderly man that only wants to check his email then, sure, get a chromebook.
    Of course it's a real question, did you not read the fine print?
    If I install Linux on it then I will be able to play games like Minecraft and Growtopia on it using Wine. (If I get an Intel based one)
    Hi I'm Pikasack!

I have an amazing performance PC that I picked up from Best Buy for $319. PCs actually last many years longer than laptops, I definitely would choose a PC over a Chromebook/laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalfishy View Post
    I have an amazing performance PC that I picked up from Best Buy for $319. PCs actually last many years longer than laptops, I definitely would choose a PC over a Chromebook/laptop.
    A reason why I want a Laptop is so I could bring over to a friend's house or something and work with it anywhere.
    My friend has one and he can set it up at home, then bring it anyone he wants.

Banned

There's big performance loss when you use wine
    Just dont use it

Quote Originally Posted by Pikasack View Post
    For those of you who say Chromebook sucks, this is something I'm doing because I can't really afford a high-end gaming laptop or anything.

Now, I can also get a Laptop that's around $400, but I don't know if it will be out of my price range by Christmas or not.

For the Chromebook, it would have to be an Intel based one so I can get Linux and Wine working.
    Then I would be able to set up Growtopia and Linux and even Team Fortress 2 if I go for one of the $300 as there is a Linux version of Steam.

It's pretty much up to you guys to sway me in the direction I should take. (Not really I just want your input)

Don't get a chrome book. True story, my school gave out chrome books for school use and mine broke when I opened the screen and had to pay $100 for a new screen. That's why I call them crapbooks in real life.
    My IGN is GoldMedal
    "You can't always believe what you see on the Internet" Abraham Lincoln

~GoldMedal

Master Sorcerer
    this is my plea plslls eradicate my existence before i take yours

Quote Originally Posted by Pikasack View Post

I would never consider buying a chromebook and would rather get a beat-up Laptop.

Just my opinion, though. You should really consider the specs and if you're just gonna play games like Minecraft, something low should be fine. I bought this Laptop for at about $454 and it runs at about 60 fps and would never go down below 55 fps. It's this year's Intel core i5-4200U (Not really good though, but it's worth mentioning since you're finding some loots) 1.6GHz with Turbo boost that can go at least at 2.6GHz. AMD Radeon with 2GB dedicated RAM (I know, I know. Sucks. For me, that is. It runs fine, though so far), 15.6 HD LED, 500 GB HDD and the 4-cell battery. (The battery really doesn't matter because it's almost always charged and I keep a good eye on that battery bar)

I can play games real fine and have a good game play with this thing. It's not really the "best" find, because I bought it back then when I wasn't much 'good' at considering specs with games that I was going to play. In fact, I had no idea what I wanted to play! I just wanted to buy a Laptop.
    the one and only pineapple you grew up with and loved
    Ign: iHans/Hansie

Why on earth would you get a chromebook... I mean if you're not going to do much on a laptop like surfing the web, checking your email, making word documents, then by all means you can get it, but in comparison to a windows laptop, chromebooks are pretty limited.
    Check out my channel: ShirukaX!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2p..._Hxe1s56Bj4gog
    Check out my latest video!

Banned

Get a Mac. Jk.
    I like Macs but they are not in this price range.
    I would just save up and by a 500-600 dollar Asus laptop. Runs windows, last a decent amount of time and you can play Steam games like TF2, CS:GO, and Gary's Mod.

Don't get a chromebook.
    Just save up more money and buy a laptop if you don't have enough now. You will regret it if you end up buying a chromebook.