Thread: Problems with linux build

ClanLib Developer

Default Problems with linux build

Ok, this is really unfamiliar area for me, but I'm been trying to compile ClanLib-2.0 SVN under some linux OS.

I've noticed a few problems with the configure and compilation:

- I don't have SDL installed, and when configure is trying to locate it, the entire configure script bums out and does not continue.

- I don't have X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h installed, but this was not discovered by configure, so I got a compile error after a while.

- Why is Configure / Setup\Tests\opengl.cpp testing for GLU? Afaik, we're not using that.

- I don't have any GL stuff installed, so it didn't build clanGL (which is not needed by my server anyway). But the big problem here is that render_buffer.h and texture.h in clanDisplay includes some direct files from ClanGL!
    #include "../../GL/opengl_wrap.h"
    We should not have such a dependency in ClanDisplay, but I am not sure how we should solve it.

ClanLib Developer

- I don't have SDL installed, and when configure is trying to locate it, the entire configure script bums out and does not continue.
    Whoops! This should not happen. I did test it, but obviously not enough!

Can you paste the section of log where this happens.

- I don't have X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h installed, but this was not discovered by configure, so I got a compile error after a while.
    This is a known problem from a long time ago ( http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464 )

Yes, configure should look for this.

I am unsure at the moment if clanlib can be compiled without xf86vmode (with reduced functionality). This needs to be checked

- Why is Configure / Setup\Tests\opengl.cpp testing for GLU? Afaik, we're not using that.
    It should not be there!

- I don't have any GL stuff installed, so it didn't build clanGL (which is not needed by my server anyway). But the big problem here is that render_buffer.h and texture.h in clanDisplay includes some direct files from ClanGL!
    We should not have such a dependency in ClanDisplay, but I am not sure how we should solve it.
    Again, it should not be there! Hopefully, it should be as simple as removing the #include

ClanLib Developer

I'm afraid the last issue isn't as easy as it looks CL_Texture and others needs its own enum of texture formats instead of abusing the enums in OpenGL..

ClanLib Developer

Fixed

Fixed. Able to compile ClanDisplay with reduced functionality. Ideally, this should also be made an optional in the configure script. Maybe i'll look at it again later.

Fixed.

I have not looked at this.

But a possible solution is:
    #ifdef HAVE_OPENGL_H
    #define cl_texture_define 12231
    #else
    #endif

ClanLib Developer

> But a possible solution is:
    > #ifdef HAVE_OPENGL_H
    > #define cl_texture_define 12231
    > ...
    > #else
    > #include "../../GL/opengl_wrap.h"
    > #endif

Eh..no

CL_Texture and others needs its own set of enums instead of using the enums from OpenGL.

ClanLib Developer

heh heh, I meant:

#ifndef HAVE_OPENGL_H

ClanLib Developer

Now I get these errors after compiling my project and it tries to link using pkg-config. This used to work. I workaround it for now by manualling linking with -lXxf86vm but this really should be in pkg-config, right?

/usr/local/lib/libclanDisplay.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetViewPort'
    /usr/local/lib/libclanDisplay.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines'
    /usr/local/lib/libclanDisplay.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryExtension'
    /usr/local/lib/libclanDisplay.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSwitchToMode'
    /usr/local/lib/libclanDisplay.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSetViewPort'
    /usr/local/lib/libclanDisplay.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetModeLine'

ClanLib Developer

Humm
    I sounds like you did not re-run autogen.sh

This builds ./configure from ./configure.ac

(You may need a make clean as well)

ClanLib Developer

Fixed in SVN.

It was missing the library.

It is strange that it worked here!