Thread: Novashell won't load

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Serf

Default Novashell won't load

Hello.
    I just installed Novashell on Windows XP. When I try to start the program all I get is an error message from Windows saying that game.exe has found an error and then I'm trown back to Windows again.
    I also tried to load one of the sample games with the same result.
    With such an uninformative error message I'm quite lost, does anyone have any idea at all about what might be wrong?

Lesser Wizard

What exactly does the error message say?

Hmm... Ainiaria, do you have a working sound card and openGL driver?

If you look in the novashell directory, do you see a log.txt file? It might hold a clue.

Do you have administrator privileges? If not, try with those and let me know if it makes a difference.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Serf

Thank you for your quick replies.

The error message just states that game.exe has found an error and is shutting down.

My sound card and openGL works fine, and my account does have full administrator privileges.

As for the log file, it is empty. Novashell never really starts up, the screen goes blank, changes resolution, and then throws me back to windows. I did try to run it in windowed mode with the same results.

EDIT: I installed the program on a computer with the exact same configuration as mine, and it works fine on that computer. That means there is something wrong with my computer. Since I'm getting a new computer next week, I'll wait until then. Thank you both for your help!
    Ani
    Last edited by Ainiaria; 07-07-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Lesser Wizard

The only time I experienced anything similar was when I tried to run a game which had been scripted to force a resolution of 800 x 480 on another computer that didn't support the resolution.

However Im pretty sure Novashell defaults to 1024 x 768 so I can't imagine it'd be a screen mode issue.

Have you tried re-installing your graphics card driver, or seeign if there's an update? I had to do that at one point as Novashell stopped working...

I'll add more logging during the startup in the next version, this should help with this kind of problem.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies