Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: The purpose of 9/11 eludes me.

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer Player3D3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Raliegh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,829

    Arrow The purpose of 9/11 eludes me.

    The purpose of 9/11 is something I can not grasp. do we honor it because "many" people die from some form of extreme terrorism. I dont see why? Unless an individual has lost a specific family member friend etc. Death is a common occurrence. Heck Taco Bell alone kills an average of 1 person every 6 seconds but were not getting hot over that. So what exactly makes 9/11 special.

    I think it involves the fact that Americans have a sense of superiority and indestructibility. As an American II should know this. I observe our Media and interact with American citizens on a day to basis because I am one. Most people who are American born feel that they can do anything and that they are way better then any other country in most aspects considering the fact that America is ranked 17 in education and 10 as far as having a free economy. 9/11 showed that we can be struck anywhere and hard and many Americans are scared because of that.

    Yes America is great but it is not the best. Americans tend to dramatize their losses when it comes to such things. When we went to war with certain middle eastern countries we went in with with heavy fire power and a strong military force. Not only did Americans hurt the enemy but the locals and those who wish not to get involved.

    Even as America removes troops there are millions of mine bombs that are left in the ground for children to step on. America deactivated many but the mines will still continue to kill. Million a year till the mines run out. So many are upset about 9/11 and mourn for the losses but what about the millions of people who died in a war that America has launched on an ideology called terrorism. Let us have a moment of silence for the million of people who died in the countries that america has intimidated with violence for selfish gain and other reasons and has continued to intimidate for the past decade.

    While your at it post your understanding of 9/11 and if you have something to add on please do so.

    Currently On Mobile. Excuse My typos!
    Joined Growtopia January 11, 2013
    Growtopia Google+ Page
    Guide to giving others Acess
    Keeping Your Account Secure

    Clocking at: 3100 Hours of Growtopia.
    -Player3D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Celestia;
    I can protect my subjects from you!
    #2.0Growtopian

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    899

    Default

    In all do respect Player3D3, because i do respect you, i disagree 100% with you.

    As an american i was only 5 when happened. so my memory of it is nill.

    google search. "9/11 Jumpers"

    and thats why we honor those that lost their lives.
    Owner of The Worlds,

    Curfew - ClubGrowtopia - TLMaze - Robbed - OuterDarkness - Kidnapped (Under Construction) - DungeonEscape (Under Construction)

    r(r2 + 30) = t

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer MSM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    OMG secret
    Posts
    717

    Default ...

    This is true Player, I am Mexican but I live in the US. I feel that 9/11 was caused by terrorist who were attacked by the US Army after this occurred. So basically, the terrorists are responsible for the deaths of those innocents.
    GrowID: markraft

  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer bigjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    It's not just about the people who died that day, it's also about the scar it left on our nation.
    Sticking it to the man

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer Player3D3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Raliegh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,829

    Arrow Hmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    In all do respect Player3D3, because i do respect you, i disagree 100% with you.

    As an american i was only 5 when happened. so my memory of it is nill.

    google search. "9/11 Jumpers"

    and thats why we honor those that lost their lives.
    This is not the first time such an incident happened. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire was an incident. An incident in which all exits were locked forcing women to jump out of the windows.

    So we honored this event because people jumped out of windows eh? How about those who died in other countries by the millions. I understand your point but my thing is why take the time to remeber what happened so many years a go and killed so few in comparison to many day to day events.

    The reason as I stated is because Americans died in an attack of terrorism and then a few politicians. heck 15 million children die from hunger each year and that's JUST the children. People will die horrendous ways but we must move on. I don't understand what makes this less then 3k deaths so special and so terrible when millions die on a day to day basis.

    If someone can elaborate why 9/11 is important please do.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    It's not just about the people who died that day, it's also about the scar it left on our nation.
    And then after that scar politicians use that hatred and sadness to go ahead and destroy other countries for political advantages and resources. I understand that but why is no respect or condolences given to other nations wrecked even worst by the 9/11 then the USA.

    I also fail to realise how this specific scar stands out from the millions of deaths we experience every year. This 9/11 was a sign that any moron just about could get on a plain and hurt people on a big scale. Other then that it is simply another 3k kills.

    Currently On Mobile. Excuse My typos!
    Joined Growtopia January 11, 2013
    Growtopia Google+ Page
    Guide to giving others Acess
    Keeping Your Account Secure

    Clocking at: 3100 Hours of Growtopia.
    -Player3D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Celestia;
    I can protect my subjects from you!
    #2.0Growtopian

  6. #6
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    It's not just about the people who died that day, it's also about the scar it left on our nation.
    Took the words out of my mouth
    Owner of The Worlds,

    Curfew - ClubGrowtopia - TLMaze - Robbed - OuterDarkness - Kidnapped (Under Construction) - DungeonEscape (Under Construction)

    r(r2 + 30) = t

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Name:  1378944165920.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  85.3 KB


    Player I found it. This is why.
    Owner of The Worlds,

    Curfew - ClubGrowtopia - TLMaze - Robbed - OuterDarkness - Kidnapped (Under Construction) - DungeonEscape (Under Construction)

    r(r2 + 30) = t

  8. #8
    Master Sorcerer Player3D3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Raliegh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,829

    Arrow Hmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Name:  1378944165920.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  85.3 KB


    Player I found it. This is why.
    This proves nothing. Imagine being a young child on his way to school. One wrong step sends you up in flames and limbs spewed across the desert floor. Imagine being in your home and you are shot along with your wife and children because your land happens to be on oil.

    Majority of these people in the 9/11 had descent lives before they died. People who sufered after this in other countries were barely making it by before us Americans decided to attack an idea called Terrorism. Bush's war on terror was a war America can not win because you can not defeat an idea.

    Bush allowed peoples fear and anger to build up and he used it to launch this "War on terror" mostly to take advantage of rich resourced countries. Of course that's sad but you know what they had descent lives. Life is valuable and is guaranteed to no one. People in america suffer deaths worst then that on a day to day basis so exactly what makes 9/11 different?

    Currently On Mobile. Excuse My typos!
    Joined Growtopia January 11, 2013
    Growtopia Google+ Page
    Guide to giving others Acess
    Keeping Your Account Secure

    Clocking at: 3100 Hours of Growtopia.
    -Player3D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Celestia;
    I can protect my subjects from you!
    #2.0Growtopian

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Player3D3 View Post
    This proves nothing. Imagine being a young child on his way to school. One wrong step sends you up in flames and limbs spewed across the desert floor. Imagine being in your home and you are shot along with your wife and children because your land happens to be on oil.
    when you can imagine it so will i.
    Owner of The Worlds,

    Curfew - ClubGrowtopia - TLMaze - Robbed - OuterDarkness - Kidnapped (Under Construction) - DungeonEscape (Under Construction)

    r(r2 + 30) = t

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer Player3D3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Raliegh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,829

    Arrow Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    when you can imagine it so will i.
    But what makes the killings in the USA more important. And why is no care shown for other nations. My point in this all is that 9/11 in a way teaches some people to consider one nation superior to another but America was founded on the principal that all men are created equal.

    I find 9/11 in somewhat contradiction in theory with this nations founding points. I fail to see how it is a positive event to commemorate. This event in a way is a sign to all nations that "if you hurt us your as good as skewered because we are going to find where you are and commence to destroying and plundering all in our wake," or I came to this conclusion according to the many actions of the American government.

    So yes, if someone can come up with a logical explanation as in to why we have 9/11 that would be very helpful indeed.

    Currently On Mobile. Excuse My typos!
    Joined Growtopia January 11, 2013
    Growtopia Google+ Page
    Guide to giving others Acess
    Keeping Your Account Secure

    Clocking at: 3100 Hours of Growtopia.
    -Player3D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Celestia;
    I can protect my subjects from you!
    #2.0Growtopian

  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer bigjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Player3D3 View Post
    This proves nothing. Imagine being a young child on his way to school. One wrong step sends you up in flames and limbs spewed across the desert floor. Imagine being in your home and you are shot along with your wife and children because your land happens to be on oil.

    Majority of these people in the 9/11 had descent lives before they died. People who sufered after this in other countries were barely making it by before us Americans decided to attack an idea called Terrorism. Bush's war on terror was a war America can not win because you can not defeat an idea.

    Bush allowed peoples fear and anger to build up and he used it to launch this "War on terror" mostly to take advantage of rich resourced countries. Of course that's sad but you know what they had descent lives. Life is valuable and is guaranteed to no one. People in america suffer deaths worst then that on a day to day basis so exactly what makes 9/11 different?
    I was only 5 when it happened. The only thing I really remember was i was watching tv with my mom when it happened and then i renember George bush giving a speech about it. He basically said: we will kill the people responsible. Not capture. Not take prisoner but kill. Now that I'm older and actually understand the whole thing, I respect that. I mean if someone strikes on your turf, you can't just let it slip and you can't show a lot of mercy.

    This is from that other 9-11 post. Kinda explains bushes reasoning. And plus the very attack was basically an act of war. That'd be like going up to a buff guy and punching him (hard) 3 times. You can't just back down from that. I've said this before "if they want a war then tell them bombs away". It's kind if like that. If a man committed a cold blooded murder on someone, they would face the consequence wether that be jail or the death penalty. It shouldn't be different for them.

    Pearl Harbor is to WW2 as 9-11 is to the war on terrorism. That's the reasoning behind going to war on them afterwards.
    Sticking it to the man

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Umm 3D3, how old r u...9/11 was an attack on our country and we Americans commemorate it, its different from world hunger, u don't see people in Europe looking at it like we do

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,715

    Default

    9/11 has affected the whole world financially, emotionally, more security and more ways.

    Here is a few examples
    Financially~Everything became more expensive because as you may or may not know, the Twin Towers were also known as The World Trading Center. Cant go in to too much detail here as I dont know much.
    Emotionally~People lost dads, mothers, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles, friends and it keeps going on and on in 9/11 because they either died by suffocation or died by jumping (as mentioned above in Tin's photo. Not only did people lose family and friends in 9/11 but countries like Australia went to war over it and thats how Osama Bin Laden was brought down
    Security~ I can't go on about this one too much either because I dont know much about it but security got higher so things like 9/11 wouldn't happen again...or as easily.

    Hope this helped a little bit.
    ~GummiBear64
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Player3D3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Raliegh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,829

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    I was only 5 when it happened. The only thing I really remember was i was watching tv with my mom when it happened and then i renember George bush giving a speech about it. He basically said: we will kill the people responsible. Not capture. Not take prisoner but kill. Now that I'm older and actually understand the whole thing, I respect that. I mean if someone strikes on your turf, you can't just let it slip and you can't show a lot of mercy.

    This is from that other 9-11 post. Kinda explains bushes reasoning. And plus the very attack was basically an act of war. That'd be like going up to a buff guy and punching him (hard) 3 times. You can't just back down from that. I've said this before "if they want a war then tell them bombs away". It's kind if like that. If a man committed a cold blooded murder on someone, they would face the consequence wether that be jail or the death penalty. It shouldn't be different for them.

    Pearl Harbor is to WW2 as 9-11 is to the war on terrorism. That's the reasoning behind going to war on them afterwards.
    Yes but Bush didnt launch war simply because we were attacked. Bush has been seeking reasons to attack the middle eastern lands for its rich resources for a while. There is more to it then simply we were attacked and we attack back. This is what a lot of Americans fail to realize and because of this the legitimate reason of 9/11 is muddled behind everyones "sadness". To be honest a lot of people wouldn't give a damn about 9/11 and less people give a damn about this nation. Ignorance is on the rise and because of this America still has the electoral college.

    Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear64 View Post
    9/11 has affected the whole world financially, emotionally, more security and more ways.

    Here is a few examples
    Financially~Everything became more expensive because as you may or may not know, the Twin Towers were also known as The World Trading Center. Cant go in to too much detail here as I dont know much.
    Emotionally~People lost dads, mothers, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles, friends and it keeps going on and on in 9/11 because they either died by suffocation or died by jumping (as mentioned above in Tin's photo. Not only did people lose family and friends in 9/11 but countries like Australia went to war over it and thats how Osama Bin Laden was brought down
    Security~ I can't go on about this one too much either because I dont know much about it but security got higher so things like 9/11 wouldn't happen again...or as easily.

    Hope this helped a little bit.
    ~GummiBear64
    This is the most legitimate explanation of 9/11 that I have read. Thank you.

    Currently On Mobile. Excuse My typos!
    Joined Growtopia January 11, 2013
    Growtopia Google+ Page
    Guide to giving others Acess
    Keeping Your Account Secure

    Clocking at: 3100 Hours of Growtopia.
    -Player3D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Celestia;
    I can protect my subjects from you!
    #2.0Growtopian

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer GummiBear64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia, mate.
    Posts
    10,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Player3D3 View Post
    Yes but Bush didnt launch war simply because we were attacked. Bush has been seeking reasons to attack the middle eastern lands for its rich resources for a while. There is more to it then simply we were attacked and we attack back. This is what a lot of Americans fail to realize and because of this the legitimate reason of 9/11 is muddled behind everyones "sadness". To be honest a lot of people wouldn't give a damn about 9/11 and less people give a damn about this nation. Ignorance is on the rise and because of this America still has the electoral college.



    This is the most legitimate explanation of 9/11 that I have read. Thank you.
    NP, if you would like to know anymore feel free to ask, I will try my best
    CRACK OPEN A COLD ONE WITH YA BOY, MIKE HOMMEL!

  16. #16
    Master Sorcerer Aimster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    Player, you know I respect you. I think this thread you've started is something that is important, and after reading it over, I realize just how little you really know about what happened.

    The reason Americans reflect on 9/11 is not to celebrate death. It's not that at all. Yes, there have been other attacks on America, even the World Trade Center itself. It's horrendous that we remember 9/11 because of two of the largest buildings in America being demolished, or the people who jumped off the building to try and save themselves. Because that isn't it at all, Player. You're missing it a little bit.

    We REMEMBER what happened because it was a mark on America that will forever change the way we live our everyday lives, more notably on the security side of things. Before 9/11, we hopped on a plane by running through a metal detector. We showed a few papers to a guy behind a table, and we boarded a plane. That's what those people who lost their lives did that early, early morning of 9/11. They simply got on a plane.

    We REALIZED just how vulnerable we as Americans (as well as the rest of the world) are susceptible to attacks. I had just got to work that morning, and was parking my car when I heard on the radio the first plane had hit the tower. By the time I got to my computer, the first videos of what was going on were beginning to surface. For an entire DAY, Americans watched in horror as towers grounded planes for the day, and the world watched as unaccounted planes hit the pentagon, the second tower, and a field near Washington, DC. That terrorist wasn't so lucky. Passengers took over the plane, and it never hit its intended destination. I remember being horrified and beginning to cry as I learned those planes weren't empty, that they had innocent lives that met their Maker that horrific day. The families they left behind were forever changed. But because of that day, the entire WORLD took action. Boarding a plane is different now. We all moan and groan about lifting our hands and putting our belongings into crates and taking off our shoes. But we do this so that we are ALL safe. The world is a safer place, not just America.

    No, the World Trade Center didn't shake the economy like you might think. The buildings were filled with a large number of offices, as well as government agencies, Wall Street, etc. (you can google it to see exact companies) but it did shake us for a minute. It didn't stop the economy. It merely shifted it.

    The purpose of 9/11 is to REMEMBER. It's to not only remember the lives lost (most of them heroes - emergency technicians, firefighters, rescue workers, alongside those passengers) but to remember that as a nation, America was hit with a devastating blow. But what happened after that nobody saw coming.

    We grew STRONGER.

    We became a nation, under God, who rose up to meet those in opposition, and took a stand. We told our enemies you may have torn down a building, but you didn't tear down the spirit that makes us a great nation. Americans took action, and came in to help. Construction workers, rescue workers, firefighters from hours away dropped what they were doing and drove hours, some even flew in to help. We picked up the pieces, and we built a stronger nation that day.

    The purpose of 9/11 is to REMEMBER. No just lives that were lost, but the innocence that was lost. The tragic event that happened that shaped our nation into something better. And the human spirit that became alive that day. THAT, Player, is why we reflect on 9/11.
    How to Deal with Bullies: Take Action by clicking HERE

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Player3D3 View Post
    The purpose of 9/11 is something I can not grasp. do we honor it because "many" people die from some form of extreme terrorism. I dont see why? Unless an individual has lost a specific family member friend etc. Death is a common occurrence. Heck Taco Bell alone kills an average of 1 person every 6 seconds but were not getting hot over that. So what exactly makes 9/11 special.

    I think it involves the fact that Americans have a sense of superiority and indestructibility. As an American II should know this. I observe our Media and interact with American citizens on a day to basis because I am one. Most people who are American born feel that they can do anything and that they are way better then any other country in most aspects considering the fact that America is ranked 17 in education and 10 as far as having a free economy. 9/11 showed that we can be struck anywhere and hard and many Americans are scared because of that.

    Yes America is great but it is not the best. Americans tend to dramatize their losses when it comes to such things. When we went to war with certain middle eastern countries we went in with with heavy fire power and a strong military force. Not only did Americans hurt the enemy but the locals and those who wish not to get involved.

    Even as America removes troops there are millions of mine bombs that are left in the ground for children to step on. America deactivated many but the mines will still continue to kill. Million a year till the mines run out. So many are upset about 9/11 and mourn for the losses but what about the millions of people who died in a war that America has launched on an ideology called terrorism. Let us have a moment of silence for the million of people who died in the countries that america has intimidated with violence for selfish gain and other reasons and has continued to intimidate for the past decade.

    While your at it post your understanding of 9/11 and if you have something to add on please do so.
    My friend put it like this once, We celebrate or honor 9/11 because if you actually read about it there was a plane taken over that was supposed to hit the pentagon I believe. It was stopped though. We are sad for those who died but happy for those who live, The Al Qaida can try all they want but they wont break this proud country. And we are number one in freedom Player, We are happy because we can feel free to praise what ever god we want, we can go and talk about what ever we want. We wont break down and we certainly will never break down

  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer bigjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morphieus View Post
    We celebrate or honor 9/11 because if you actually read about it there was a plane taken over that was supposed to hit the pentagon I believe.
    Actually it was going for the White House. That's what I've been told at least.
    Sticking it to the man

  19. #19
    Master Sorcerer Player3D3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Raliegh, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,829

    Arrow Thank You

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimster73 View Post
    Player, you know I respect you. I think this thread you've started is something that is important, and after reading it over, I realize just how little you really know about what happened.

    The reason Americans reflect on 9/11 is not to celebrate death. It's not that at all. Yes, there have been other attacks on America, even the World Trade Center itself. It's horrendous that we remember 9/11 because of two of the largest buildings in America being demolished, or the people who jumped off the building to try and save themselves. Because that isn't it at all, Player. You're missing it a little bit.

    We REMEMBER what happened because it was a mark on America that will forever change the way we live our everyday lives, more notably on the security side of things. Before 9/11, we hopped on a plane by running through a metal detector. We showed a few papers to a guy behind a table, and we boarded a plane. That's what those people who lost their lives did that early, early morning of 9/11. They simply got on a plane.

    We REALIZED just how vulnerable we as Americans (as well as the rest of the world) are susceptible to attacks. I had just got to work that morning, and was parking my car when I heard on the radio the first plane had hit the tower. By the time I got to my computer, the first videos of what was going on were beginning to surface. For an entire DAY, Americans watched in horror as towers grounded planes for the day, and the world watched as unaccounted planes hit the pentagon, the second tower, and a field near Washington, DC. That terrorist wasn't so lucky. Passengers took over the plane, and it never hit its intended destination. I remember being horrified and beginning to cry as I learned those planes weren't empty, that they had innocent lives that met their Maker that horrific day. The families they left behind were forever changed. But because of that day, the entire WORLD took action. Boarding a plane is different now. We all moan and groan about lifting our hands and putting our belongings into crates and taking off our shoes. But we do this so that we are ALL safe. The world is a safer place, not just America.

    No, the World Trade Center didn't shake the economy like you might think. The buildings were filled with a large number of offices, as well as government agencies, Wall Street, etc. (you can google it to see exact companies) but it did shake us for a minute. It didn't stop the economy. It merely shifted it.

    The purpose of 9/11 is to REMEMBER. It's to not only remember the lives lost (most of them heroes - emergency technicians, firefighters, rescue workers, alongside those passengers) but to remember that as a nation, America was hit with a devastating blow. But what happened after that nobody saw coming.

    We grew STRONGER.

    We became a nation, under God, who rose up to meet those in opposition, and took a stand. We told our enemies you may have torn down a building, but you didn't tear down the spirit that makes us a great nation. Americans took action, and came in to help. Construction workers, rescue workers, firefighters from hours away dropped what they were doing and drove hours, some even flew in to help. We picked up the pieces, and we built a stronger nation that day.

    The purpose of 9/11 is to REMEMBER. No just lives that were lost, but the innocence that was lost. The tragic event that happened that shaped our nation into something better. And the human spirit that became alive that day. THAT, Player, is why we reflect on 9/11.
    Now I understand that remembering 9/11 is more then remembering what we have lost but remembering why we still fight for freedom. I personally did not understand all that happened but I do understand how people and the american government reacted. America did some horrible things but I guess that it was necessary in a way to show that we do not tolerate such things.

    Currently On Mobile. Excuse My typos!
    Joined Growtopia January 11, 2013
    Growtopia Google+ Page
    Guide to giving others Acess
    Keeping Your Account Secure

    Clocking at: 3100 Hours of Growtopia.
    -Player3D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Celestia;
    I can protect my subjects from you!
    #2.0Growtopian

  20. #20
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    WoT Blitz probably...or XBox or PS4
    Posts
    12,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimster73 View Post
    Player, you know I respect you. I think this thread you've started is something that is important, and after reading it over, I realize just how little you really know about what happened.

    The reason Americans reflect on 9/11 is not to celebrate death. It's not that at all. Yes, there have been other attacks on America, even the World Trade Center itself. It's horrendous that we remember 9/11 because of two of the largest buildings in America being demolished, or the people who jumped off the building to try and save themselves. Because that isn't it at all, Player. You're missing it a little bit.

    We REMEMBER what happened because it was a mark on America that will forever change the way we live our everyday lives, more notably on the security side of things. Before 9/11, we hopped on a plane by running through a metal detector. We showed a few papers to a guy behind a table, and we boarded a plane. That's what those people who lost their lives did that early, early morning of 9/11. They simply got on a plane.

    We REALIZED just how vulnerable we as Americans (as well as the rest of the world) are susceptible to attacks. I had just got to work that morning, and was parking my car when I heard on the radio the first plane had hit the tower. By the time I got to my computer, the first videos of what was going on were beginning to surface. For an entire DAY, Americans watched in horror as towers grounded planes for the day, and the world watched as unaccounted planes hit the pentagon, the second tower, and a field near Washington, DC. That terrorist wasn't so lucky. Passengers took over the plane, and it never hit its intended destination. I remember being horrified and beginning to cry as I learned those planes weren't empty, that they had innocent lives that met their Maker that horrific day. The families they left behind were forever changed. But because of that day, the entire WORLD took action. Boarding a plane is different now. We all moan and groan about lifting our hands and putting our belongings into crates and taking off our shoes. But we do this so that we are ALL safe. The world is a safer place, not just America.

    No, the World Trade Center didn't shake the economy like you might think. The buildings were filled with a large number of offices, as well as government agencies, Wall Street, etc. (you can google it to see exact companies) but it did shake us for a minute. It didn't stop the economy. It merely shifted it.

    The purpose of 9/11 is to REMEMBER. It's to not only remember the lives lost (most of them heroes - emergency technicians, firefighters, rescue workers, alongside those passengers) but to remember that as a nation, America was hit with a devastating blow. But what happened after that nobody saw coming.

    We grew STRONGER.

    We became a nation, under God, who rose up to meet those in opposition, and took a stand. We told our enemies you may have torn down a building, but you didn't tear down the spirit that makes us a great nation. Americans took action, and came in to help. Construction workers, rescue workers, firefighters from hours away dropped what they were doing and drove hours, some even flew in to help. We picked up the pieces, and we built a stronger nation that day.

    The purpose of 9/11 is to REMEMBER. No just lives that were lost, but the innocence that was lost. The tragic event that happened that shaped our nation into something better. And the human spirit that became alive that day. THAT, Player, is why we reflect on 9/11.
    Well said my friend; well said.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •