Thread: ClanLib is great but unfriendly

Serf

Default ClanLib is great but unfriendly

First of all, Hapy New Year, ClanLib Team!

And big thanks to you for releasing version 2, it is very big news!

It looks like you have created pretty cool game engine, and I can't wait to start using it. But there is one HUGE problem. I say it as a potentional donator of the project. Your engine is very unfriendly when it comes to first installation. I'm using Code::Blocks + MinGW (on Windows). You already know what my next question is?

Google shows tones of questions "How can I configure ClanLib using Code::Blocks?", tons of such IN YEARS, starting from 2007 for sure. And there is no solution still. Is your engine REALLY cross-platform, as you declare? Do you care about popularity of ClanLib? Why it is so unfriendly to newcomers? I really do not understand the fact.

There is Setup/CodeBlocks directory with files (they was not changed from 2006!). Are they outdated? If not, how can we use it?

Can you create and share Code::Blocks workspace for ClanLib? I'm sure, many users will be happy and appreciated.

I do not understand also:

Example "Hello world" starts with:
    #include <ClanLib/core.h>
    #include <ClanLib/application.h>

But there is no core.h in ClanLib directory in the distributive. I've found it in Sources/API. Do we need to rearrange files in the standard distributive to get it work? Sounds silly.

Well, I'm not first and I'm not the last who ask you this question. Please, please, give a simple solution at least!

ClanLib Developer

Is your engine REALLY cross-platform, as you declare? Do you care about popularity of ClanLib? Why it is so unfriendly to newcomers? I really do not understand the fact.
    It's not that easy to explain. But i'll try...

The developers of ClanLib do not gain anything from developing the library. This is because ClanLib has a very friendly license, including usage with commerical products. Nobody gets any money, fame or dancing girls.

When you create a game it is different, you gain fame with your name on the title screen and you can show off your work at job interviews etc, or sell the game for lots of money

So, I only develop code to help myself in my own applications.

I do not care if John Smith 2000 miles away likes ClanLib or not.

I am only speaking for myself, but i'm sure most active ClanLib developers feel the same.

However, we do welcome patches. If somebody wants to update some documentation or source, they are very welcome. (Remember to test the patch first and the ClanLib style guide that's located in the ClanLib base directory)

There is Setup/CodeBlocks directory with files (they was not changed from 2006!). Are they outdated? If not, how can we use it?
    They are outdated

Can you create and share Code::Blocks workspace for ClanLib? I'm sure, many users will be happy and appreciated.
    No. Why should I I don't use Code::Blocks. If you use it, and want to share it with everyone else ... feel free to submit a patch.

But there is no core.h in ClanLib directory in the distributive. I've found it in Sources/API.
    Then the distributive is incorrect

We have no control of the distribution. I don't know who created it. Ideally, it should be hosted at clanlib.org, but noone has contacted the developers via IRC or the forums with the necessary scripts.

Do we need to rearrange files in the standard distributive to get it work? Sounds silly.
    Yes, it's silly

Squire

Quote Originally Posted by quersus View Post
    First of all, Hapy New Year, ClanLib Team!

And big thanks to you for releasing version 2, it is very big news!

It looks like you have created pretty cool game engine, and I can't wait to start using it. But there is one HUGE problem. I say it as a potentional donator of the project. Your engine is very unfriendly when it comes to first installation. I'm using Code::Blocks + MinGW (on Windows). You already know what my next question is?

Google shows tones of questions "How can I configure ClanLib using Code::Blocks?", tons of such IN YEARS, starting from 2007 for sure. And there is no solution still. Is your engine REALLY cross-platform, as you declare? Do you care about popularity of ClanLib? Why it is so unfriendly to newcomers? I really do not understand the fact.

I do not understand also:

Example "Hello world" starts with:
    #include <ClanLib/core.h>
    #include <ClanLib/application.h>

But there is no core.h in ClanLib directory in the distributive. I've found it in Sources/API. Do we need to rearrange files in the standard distributive to get it work? Sounds silly.

Well, I'm not first and I'm not the last who ask you this question. Please, please, give a simple solution at least!
    Agree in someway with rombust, still understand your complain, but why just don't you use Visual Studio? you can download it free http://www.microsoft.com/exPress/ and more friendly couldn't it be it integration with Clanlib with the precompileds; still if you don't like microsoft or if you find very complex maybe you could use the linux version ;P I read somewhere on the forum about some easy install package.