Thread: Linux 32 bit compilation issue

Default Linux 32 bit compilation issue

Hi guys, I'm currently trying to compile the SVN (revision 4277) version of ClanLib for my game. I tried compiling on my 64 bit version of Fedora 12 (it's my desktop) and it compiled and worked flawlessly. The problem is with the 32 bit version of F12.

On my first try, I ran into a compilation problem about sse and mmx not being enabled. This was remedied by adding -mmmx and -msse to the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

On my next try, I ended up with this compilation issue:

Code:
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp: In static member function ‘static bool CL_System::detect_cpu_extension(CL_System::CL_CPU_ExtensionX86)’:                                               
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:53: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:58: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:62: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:67: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:71: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:76: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:80: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:85: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:90: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:95: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                  
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:100: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                 
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:106: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                 
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:110: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                 
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:115: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                 
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:120: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’                                                                                 
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:53: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints            
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:58: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints            
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:62: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints            
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:67: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints            
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:71: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:76: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:80: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:85: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:90: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:95: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:100: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:106: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:110: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:115: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    System/detect_cpu_ext.cpp:120: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints
    make[2]: *** [System/detect_cpu_ext.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/trigger/src/ClanLib-2.2/Sources/Core'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/trigger/src/ClanLib-2.2/Sources'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    This has happened for my 32 bit F12 laptop and my 32 bit F12 virtual machine. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Thanks

System specs:
    Compiler: gcc 4.4.2 20091222 (Red Hat 4.4.2-20)
    CPUflags (VM) : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm pni hypervisor
    What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.
    Fear no adversary and take on the challenge.

ClanLib Developer

Personally I would avoid using ClanLib v2.2.x unless you plan to develop the library.

ClanLib v.2.1.x SVN (svn://esoteric.clanlib.org/ClanLib/Development/ClanLib-2.1 ) is the most stable for linux.

At the moment, there probably is no advantage in using 2.2 for linux.

Currently none of the active developers are maintaining linux support, until the API has almost stabilized in the future.

I'm not sure what is causing that error.
    A quick google for "can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ " gives many results that may help.

My original reason for trying out the svn version was because of the issue with regards to repeat_keys in the CL_InputEvent thing. I read that it was fixed in 2.2 and SVN. I gave the svn version a shot and this happened so I just opted to revert back to 2.1 and applied the patch for it. I've also tried doing a google search for a solution to the problem but I haven't gotten around to trying them out (read: wasn't sure how to apply them to the specific lines of code).

As a side thing, is there any benefit in using the svn branch of ClanLib 2.1 over the tarballed release?

ClanLib Developer

As a general rule, the svn for 2.1 is more stable than the tarball, because only patches are applied to it. (Assuming the patches don't break anything )

Have a look at the svn logs, it should contain the list of patches.

That keyboard repeat thing should have been fixed a while ago ?

I used the 2.1 tarball previously and it didn't have the patch. I applied it manually and it worked fine now. I'll use the 2.1 svn version just to be sure. Thanks

ClanLib Developer

Fixed in SVN.

http://sam.zoy.org/blog/2007-04-13-s...ode-have-inlin <--- had the solution