Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illegal searches?

Default Illegal searches?

Okay so yesterday, something at my high school that particularly doesn't happen. They had announced that we were going to have a lock down drill and we were to get into position for the procedure. Basically, the lock down drill prepares us for the incident of an intruder entering the building. So, we got into our spots (locked the doors, turned off the lights, sat in the corner). Well, as soon as the announcement was over, police squad cars started to roll up onto the campus. There were about 10 squad cars and 7 k-9 units that they had brought in. They were doing a surprise drug search, not a lock down drill. The funny part throughout all of this, is that they had announced it as a "soft lock down drill" so we hadn't thought much of it. Well, next thing we know, they are coming inside searching lockers, clearing out classes and checking backpacks, as well as searching cars. Now, this is where I am confused.

They had told us that they were conducting a search for drugs and what not and they were going to interfere with classes as little as possible. Well, they actually cleared some classrooms out and searched there backpacks. I am not sure if they went through them but they did have the dogs sniff out every backpack in that room. They did this with a few different rooms, including mine. And I was just wondering if it is legal for them to do it? I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to search your belongings without your consent, but then again, I don't know for sure, which is why I am coming here in case any of you are educated a bit more on the law. Also, the place this incident took place is in Port Washington, Wisconsin, just in case.

Oh and here is the Facebook post that they made. They caught two people, both with marijuana and one also had a bottle of alcohol.
    https://www.facebook.com/Port-Washin...37081/?fref=ts

In my opinion, legal or not, what they did was disgusting. They are making these individuals look like villains for having a little bit of pot and alcohol. Honestly, alcohol is worse than pot. They had disrupted classes and such just to bust two people, what a great job. I don't even like referring to it as being "busted", it makes it sound way worse than it actually is.

So, let me know what you think of this. All opinions welcomed I just wanna see what others think of it in other parts of the world, because here I am pretty sure a good 80% of the people think that this whole search thing was a GIANT waste. Also, is what they did legal? Me and my dad were talking last night and yes I am pretty sure they were able to search the cars because it was in the school parking lot and in order to park there you have to sign a waiver of some sort and I am thinking maybe that gives them permission to do so. But what about the backpacks? They had everyone leave the room then the dogs did their thing. Let me know below.
    Check out my Instagram: PankoGT

Master Sorcerer

I smoke. Haven't had a drink for some time now, though. Rest assured that doesn't mean I haven't had any to drink this year, because I have. Just not within the past two months.

They do this because they don't see anything wrong with it. Some clueless kids with a bad gram of the devil's lettuce get to go into holding for a bit until mommy and daddy bail them out. That's how twelve (cops) sees it. If twelve runs up in your school, they will search what they want because it's technically public property (assuming you live in the United States, too) and doesn't really need a warrant.

But, that doesn't change the fact that what's in your bag is yours along with the bag itself and therefore can't be searched without reasonable suspicion. Reasonable suspicion as in, oh, we've caught these kids making moves before. They've moved pack here and there, and their records are chock full of drug related offenses. That's different. If you're nobody special with a pretty clean record, they can't just search you like that.

Master Sorcerer

It's not like they want to be there. Pot is illegal so they have to do these things. Blame the law and the head of these operations.

As far as I know, police are allowed to search everything, or maybe it's me that's living in a corrupt country.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother about that, it's just classes skipped.
    IGN: QuasarBass

Huge Knife Party, Nightkilla and Metroid fan :}

I found the love of my life. No, not a girlfriend, but this song:

Police needs warrants for private property. All they need for public venues is a probable cause; therefore, since the bags were on school property — public property — it is certainly legal.

Ah, but here is the question: are criminals — even perpetrators in misdemeanor — bad? Did you think, "Hey, these guys did something bad," even once? It is all the same putting them lower than oneself.

Also, the media, be it local news or greater, shames people anyway. The perpetrator broke the law regardless, and now there are social consequences as well as physical ones.
    I AM THE GREAT OHLID

I am not sure about other countries but here in England as well as the rest of the UK the police have a legal right to search anyone who they believe has drugs on them (under the misuse of drugs act) or weapons under another act. This is entirely legal and not allowing the police to search or perform strip-searchs at police station if they believe the suspect has swallowed or put drugs up their anal cavity, if don't allow them it xan lead to arrest even if you have nothing illegal on you or in your household.
    Ign: Dinobones62

ad victoriam

Thanks to CoolDrew for making this for me!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) may want to look behind you and start running...

Quote Originally Posted by Panko View Post
    Okay so yesterday, something at my high school that particularly doesn't happen. They had announced that we were going to have a lock down drill and we were to get into position for the procedure. Basically, the lock down drill prepares us for the incident of an intruder entering the building. So, we got into our spots (locked the doors, turned off the lights, sat in the corner). Well, as soon as the announcement was over, police squad cars started to roll up onto the campus. There were about 10 squad cars and 7 k-9 units that they had brought in. They were doing a surprise drug search, not a lock down drill. The funny part throughout all of this, is that they had announced it as a "soft lock down drill" so we hadn't thought much of it. Well, next thing we know, they are coming inside searching lockers, clearing out classes and checking backpacks, as well as searching cars. Now, this is where I am confused.

They had told us that they were conducting a search for drugs and what not and they were going to interfere with classes as little as possible. Well, they actually cleared some classrooms out and searched there backpacks. I am not sure if they went through them but they did have the dogs sniff out every backpack in that room. They did this with a few different rooms, including mine. And I was just wondering if it is legal for them to do it? I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to search your belongings without your consent, but then again, I don't know for sure, which is why I am coming here in case any of you are educated a bit more on the law. Also, the place this incident took place is in Port Washington, Wisconsin, just in case.

Oh and here is the Facebook post that they made. They caught two people, both with marijuana and one also had a bottle of alcohol.

In my opinion, legal or not, what they did was disgusting. They are making these individuals look like villains for having a little bit of pot and alcohol. Honestly, alcohol is worse than pot. They had disrupted classes and such just to bust two people, what a great job. I don't even like referring to it as being "busted", it makes it sound way worse than it actually is.

So, let me know what you think of this. All opinions welcomed I just wanna see what others think of it in other parts of the world, because here I am pretty sure a good 80% of the people think that this whole search thing was a GIANT waste. Also, is what they did legal? Me and my dad were talking last night and yes I am pretty sure they were able to search the cars because it was in the school parking lot and in order to park there you have to sign a waiver of some sort and I am thinking maybe that gives them permission to do so. But what about the backpacks? They had everyone leave the room then the dogs did their thing. Let me know below.
    It is legal. They can search you if they are sure they have drugs or any weapons ( ithink.) Why they came to the school, I do not know.
    Ign: Hippohello

dank quotes

5/7/2016: the worst account hacking by far.

They have the right to since its a governmental facility
    IGN:FrozenPotato
    Contact me Via a PM here on the forums.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) may want to look behind you and start running...

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenpotato_ View Post
    They have the right to since its a governmental facility
    Public school= goverenment owned, can barge into any one they want

Private school= need a warrant (i think)
    Ign: Hippohello

dank quotes

5/7/2016: the worst account hacking by far.

Thanks for clarifying things everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RudyBan View Post
    I smoke. Haven't had a drink for some time now, though. Rest assured that doesn't mean I haven't had any to drink this year, because I have. Just not within the past two months.

They do this because they don't see anything wrong with it. Some clueless kids with a bad gram of the devil's lettuce get to go into holding for a bit until mommy and daddy bail them out. That's how twelve (cops) sees it. If twelve runs up in your school, they will search what they want because it's technically public property (assuming you live in the United States, too) and doesn't really need a warrant.

But, that doesn't change the fact that what's in your bag is yours along with the bag itself and therefore can't be searched without reasonable suspicion. Reasonable suspicion as in, oh, we've caught these kids making moves before. They've moved pack here and there, and their records are chock full of drug related offenses. That's different. If you're nobody special with a pretty clean record, they can't just search you like that.
    The funny part is a few of my buddies smoked a bowl in the lunchroom cafeteria like 2 hours before they arrived.

I found that pretty funny when I saw the look on my friends face after the fact lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

The funny part is a few of my buddies smoked a bowl in the lunchroom cafeteria like 2 hours before they arrived.

I found that pretty funny when I saw the look on my friends face after the fact lmao.
    As I know they let the dogs sniff ur bag and if the dogs think theres drugs they search/they search if they think theres drugs in there
    In Game Name : sian123

People I Helped : 200

Instagram/Snapchat : xshopkincollectorx

Worlds : SIAN123 ACTINGCLASS CATRINLOVESTOYS GROWTOPIEVILLE

Dragon Cave Name : XxSian123xX

Click My Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by XxSian123xX View Post
    As I know they let the dogs sniff ur bag and if the dogs think theres drugs they search/they search if they think theres drugs in there
    Yeah I am pretty sure that's how it went down.

Then its probs legal
    In Game Name : sian123

People I Helped : 200

Instagram/Snapchat : xshopkincollectorx

Worlds : SIAN123 ACTINGCLASS CATRINLOVESTOYS GROWTOPIEVILLE

Dragon Cave Name : XxSian123xX

Click My Dragons

Master Sorcerer

- - - Updated - - -

Bringing a pipe is the worst idea. They do you for paraphernalia and possession. Been there. Just roll one and flush the roach down a toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyBan View Post
    Bringing a pipe is the worst idea. They do you for paraphernalia and possession. Been there. Just roll one and flush the roach down a toilet.
    Yeah if you read what the station wrote on their Facebook page in the link I posted, they say that one adult is being charged and one teenager. It says ones being charged for possession and paraphernalia, the other just has possession I think. Either way, they were kinda blowing it out of proportion. I mean, they found two kids with some pot, if you search some schools a few towns over, guarantee that they fine heroin or cocaine.

It is ridicoullis how people are treating this. Someone left a comment that was sort of along these lines: "They only busted 2? The drug dealers must have stayed home that day." It is honestly retarded. People are so blind and oblivious.

Master Sorcerer

Yeah if you read what the station wrote on their Facebook page in the link I posted, they say that one adult is being charged and one teenager. It says ones being charged for possession and paraphernalia, the other just has possession I think. Either way, they were kinda blowing it out of proportion. I mean, they found two kids with some pot, if you search some schools a few towns over, guarantee that they fine heroin or cocaine.

It is ridicoullis how people are treating this. Someone left a comment that was sort of along these lines: "They only busted 2? The drug dealers must have stayed home that day." It is honestly retarded. People are so blind and oblivious.
    The kids who move weight end up getting caught. They don't know how to cover their tracks. Plus, they're under the usual threat of death if they flip on the distributor. So, there's that. No names. Which means the dealers probably weren't kids. Just let the sheltered stay ignorant.

it depends since the search resided on the school premises they were allowed by school authority. If you were older then maybe a warrant would be suitable to ask for other then that that the school can control what they can do.
    Goals

MY Poems

Quotes
    #MakeGrowtopiaGreatAgain
    http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...-something-BIG!

According amendment 4, nobody can search your belongings without your consent, BUT if they get a warrant from the court they CAN search your stuff. They just need to have evidence of something illegal.
    QUOTE OF THE WEEK
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead

IGN - ParadoxMan

I like how the thread started as a question of legal authority then turned into a conversation of how to hide weed.

BTW: if I posted twice, it is because Chrome crashed when I pressed post and I dunno if it did it twice.
    CEO, WAYNE ENTERPRISES

Quote Originally Posted by LordFawful
    Well, singling players is illegal, so because I can't ban people, I just try to annoy everyone who breaks the rule.
    == Discord Servers ==

Chocolatte made this thing down here cx

IGN/SuperMario20

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I like how the thread started as a question of legal authority then turned into a conversation of how to hide weed.

BTW: if I posted twice, it is because Chrome crashed when I pressed post and I dunno if it did it twice.
    This actually made me laugh.

The irony