Thread: When Should One "Know Better?"

Default When Should One "Know Better?"

Recently, I have come across a query proposed by my friend that I myself have only a nebulous answer to.

Basically, there was a girl — presumably ten or eleven — that announced over social media that she was bisexual. Now, this sparked a lot of controversy with people serving up the typical "kill urself u wnt attention," and the few and far between "she doesn't know better." Basically, there was a quarrel on a quotidian basis of the same garbage until it grew monotonous.

Most teenagers even use sexuality as a tool, a plea for attention; however, if younger children see this, they are most likely prompted to simulate this too, right? Or perhaps they were taught better by their parents. So, the question is, when should a youth "know better?"

Overtly, there are selective behaviors that should obviously been sternly warned against, such as fighting, but some of these are nebulous in regard to basic morals in correlation to age. Personally, I see a set of scruples that should be taught as definite, immobile scruples that should be enstilled regardless of the circumstances; consequently, I must consider if it is just to impute the wrongs on youth or maybe just give a friendly heads-up. Though with matters like sexuality, I think a youth is far too incompetent to comprehensively understand it — how can one blame them?

So, I would like to hear opinions: at what age should one be fully responsible for their actions without a scapegoat?
    I AM THE GREAT OHLID

Master Sorcerer

I feel that whenever they become educated enough to know the difference between a man and a female that I can see them deciding their sexuality. However; no age should be predefined as a point to decide and ponder over what gender you prefer, it should be a natural phenomenon that should occur whenever the person warrants their knowledge of genders applicable as to influencing their choice.

Sorry for the off-topic edit, but the song in your signature.... Amazing piece. Thank you for having that in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by craft3d View Post
    I feel that whenever they become educated enough to know the difference between a man and a female that I can see them deciding their sexuality. However; no age should be predefined as a point to decide and ponder over what gender you prefer, it should be a natural phenomenon that should occur whenever the person warrants their knowledge of genders applicable as to influencing their choice.
    I understand that sexuality is a predetermined preference, but I was thinking more broadly. To broach the question, this could pertain to anything matter where there is a contradiction between what is right and wrong — subjectively of course.
    I AM THE GREAT OHLID

there is no real age. Some people are mature enough to be responsabile when they are 9, but some are not responsabile even when they are 16.
    QUOTE OF THE WEEK
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead

IGN - ParadoxMan

Master Sorcerer

Sorry for the off-topic edit, but the song in your signature.... Amazing piece. Thank you for having that in your signature.
    Yes, but - is there any age when they actually have to possess this knowledge? There are many factors to be considered. Really, it is just maturity that decides the outcome of situations like these.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmax2 View Post
    there is no real age. Some people are mature enough to be responsabile when they are 9, but some are not responsabile even when they are 16.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I'm not funny.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by inkorrect View Post
    Yes, but - is there any age when they actually have to possess this knowledge? There are many factors to be considered. Really, it is just maturity that decides the outcome of situations like these..
    No, I don't think so. I think once they have either been taught or learnt themselves - by parents or the web - then they can decide how they feel. I do agree with the amount of factors included with questioning sexuality or defining what it is. Next to maturity would probably arise your social reputability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHIE63 View Post
    I understand that sexuality is a predetermined preference, but I was thinking more broadly. To broach the question, this could pertain to anything matter where there is a contradiction between what is right and wrong — subjectively of course.
    OK, that's fine. I understand - I think. I want to correct you on one of your grammatical errors but I feel arrogant about it. Sorry, I just wanted to point out that in bold that it could have been (?) "any matters". Forgive me if I am wrong, but I just read it like that.

Any how, I do see your point on the broad spectrum of this. I think sexual preference could be decided by not only maturity but what I had mentioned in a earlier post; social reputability. Susceptibility to your peer group's pressure towards the ideal of being a straight person can turn many away from being homosexual, and even fostering a case of homophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHIE63 View Post
    Recently, I have come across a query proposed by my friend that I myself have only a nebulous answer to.

Basically, there was a girl — presumably ten or eleven — that announced over social media that she was bisexual. Now, this sparked a lot of controversy with people serving up the typical "kill urself u wnt attention," and the few and far between "she doesn't know better." Basically, there was a quarrel on a quotidian basis of the same garbage until it grew monotonous.

Most teenagers even use sexuality as a tool, a plea for attention; however, if younger children see this, they are most likely prompted to simulate this too, right? Or perhaps they were taught better by their parents. So, the question is, when should a youth "know better?"

Overtly, there are selective behaviors that should obviously been sternly warned against, such as fighting, but some of these are nebulous in regard to basic morals in correlation to age. Personally, I see a set of scruples that should be taught as definite, immobile scruples that should be enstilled regardless of the circumstances; consequently, I must consider if it is just to impute the wrongs on youth or maybe just give a friendly heads-up. Though with matters like sexuality, I think a youth is far too incompetent to comprehensively understand it — how can one blame them?

So, I would like to hear opinions: at what age should one be fully responsible for their actions without a scapegoat?
    Often, many of the children that want attention is because they do not get enough attention at home. Or that they are confused, which I highly doubt mainly due to the fact that they are so young and you don't become curious about your body until you're around 11-12, although sometimes younger.

OK, that's fine. I understand - I think. I want to correct you on one of your grammatical errors but I feel arrogant about it. Sorry, I just wanted to point out that in bold that it could have been (?) "any matters". Forgive me if I am wrong, but I just read it like that.

Any how, I do see your point on the broad spectrum of this. I think sexual preference could be decided by not only maturity but what I had mentioned in a earlier post; social reputability. Susceptibility to your peer group's pressure towards the ideal of being a straight person can turn many away from being homosexual, and even fostering a case of homophobia.
    Someone dropped a firecracker down my shirt when I was typing that, sorry.

But yes, social factions can influence the maturity of one more so than anything else; that plays into it, but is not what I am asking. I am asking more so when is it okay to reproach somebody and hold them accountable for their actions without a scapegoat of "they don't know any better." Whether it is wrong or right, imputed upon others' influence or self-sustained, the act is still destructive regardless of their age, but at what age is it okay to say the person in question wittingly did wrong?
    I AM THE GREAT OHLID

Self determining your sexual orientation is something I'd see as reasonable once you understand the real reason of love. But a grade schooler deciding upon their own sexuality is dubious considering most highschoolers don't even have discernment between attraction and love.

Digressing a little here; I don't know if it's the same for anybody anywhere else, but in California, I actually had some SJW students go ham on my ass just for saying "I'm straight, thank you very much". Apparently, people can't draw the line on generally straight people and homophobes.
    I'm on Discord as Ultrum#7689, have fun
    Allies or no allies?

One should know better once they've seen the result of said action whether it's through personal experience or by watching someone else go through it. Age really doesn't matter.
    QuickCrafter has just posted on this thread. Read this ^^