Thread: Pet and Animal Thread

Default Pet and Animal Thread

Okay, now it's the time for talking about animals, which can be really close to your heart (pets), but some of you can really afraid of them. Are there animals which you really are afraid of? Or is there something that you love? Do you have any pets? Want to tell us about it/them?

Has anyone tried using a training collar for your dog? I just recently purchased this product named; dogtra training collar for my Golden Retriever. This is would be my first time to use such collar to my dog and I have no idea at all if this would help or not. Any thoughts about this device?

Hello guys, when I was searching online for a collar I saw these dog training collars, it says that it is one of the most useful tools used for training dogs. It is good to correct bad habits of a dog such as barking too much, digging, and chewing. it also says that a training collar can transform a misbehave dog into a well obedient dog. I heard other people who are against it and question the safety of this product, but, I think it is safe to use for both the dog and the trainer. What do you think about the training collar overall, will it help me train my dogs? I'm open for more suggestions, though.

Lesser Knight

OK, so I’m not going to try to not take any stances on the issue or anything, I myself know next to nothing about it. I’m just here for the sake of discussion. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Whenever I think of shock collars (Which I assume that’s what these are, from reading the page provided. I don’t know anything about this spray, ultrasonic, vibration, or static stuff, but I assume they are all unpleasant), for whatever reason, even though I remember absolutely nothing else about the movie, the scene from that one Garfield movie where the collars end up on the humans always comes to mind. Ouch. That’s what these are, ouch.

So I looked up a few arguments for shock collars, and I was shocked at how silly they are:

“Sure, they’re painful or whatever, but they’re safe! It doesn’t matter!”
    -What? Are saying just because something is not life threatening makes it OK? You’re trying to get the dog to stop barking or something, right? You chose to take in the dog, y’know, that doesn’t automatically make you a good person. I understand that a lot of animals wouldn’t be able to live outside on their own or whatever, I get that. I’m OK with, to some extent, the idea of keeping pets. But why do you keep pets? Because you love them? Or because you want them to cower in a corner and be quiet? Personally, I would say put some effort into training the dog yourself? Like build a relationship or something. Don’t depend on machinery.

*http://www.chicagonow.com/training-t...collars-myths/
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNow
    Myth #1: "Shock Collars Are Torture Devices"
    A shock collar is a training tool which applies a negative stimulus to the dog. It can be used in the correct fashion to train a dog. It can be used improperly to cause a dog extreme pain. A leash can also be used properly as a training tool and improperly to cause extreme pain. The important word is "improperly". Used properly, a shock collar is no different than a leash as a training tool.
    -OK, but look at it this way: one is potentially protecting the dog and others around it, and is used in place of normal situations (let it roam in the yard leash free, and even if you don’t have one you don’t keep the leash on indoors, do you). One is going out of its way to harm it to deprive it of what makes a dog a dog. Abuse is, while perhaps an effective training tool, still abuse. Just because they’re now afraid of doing something, doesn’t mean that they’re better off, or more trained, or what have you.

Myth #3: "Shock Collars Are Negative...I Only Use Positive Training Techniques"
    -So this one is basically saying that people who are against them use negative techniques as well, just other ones. What kind of argument is this? You’re both probably bad people? Crappy argument, next.

Myth #4: "Shock Collars Destroy The Relationship With The Dog"
    -This one is saying that they don’t actually destroy the relationship because they are still obedient even after use of a shock collar. Well yeah, that is the point of a shock collar, is it not? To scare a dog into obedience.

Myth #5: "Shock Collars Are A Shortcut"
    -OK, so you have to shock the dog the same amount you got to pull the leash to train them, so either method takes up the same amount of time. Well I’m kind of finding it hard to believe there are only two ways of getting a dog to come to you when calling it’s name. Or like, maybe, it’s an extra step you have to take after the dog starts seeing you as abusive and doesn’t want to go towards you, or you give up on the dog and go straight to the shock? Why would an extra step be necessary? None of these arguments make sense (in case you’re wondering, Myth #2 is basically just saying people are stupid, or something about hunting dogs in specific).

*http://www.sheknows.com/pets-and-ani...-are-not-abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by SheKnows
    As a small dog owner for close to 10 years, I know the argument well: How would you like it if you received an electric shock every time you did something that came natural to you? The answer is: I probably wouldn't like it at all. But I might stop repeating that same behavior after receiving a few low-voltage zaps.
    -OK, you stop yapping. You’re a mute. You are scared to talk. Like, what? Of course you wouldn’t like that, it doesn’t matter if you stop the behavior, it’s not like you’re training the dog not to kill someone or something like that, they aren’t committing a crime. It’s straight up, clearly, abuse. Forcing someone into silence is without a doubt abuse.

“Nothing worked.”
    -Practice makes perfect. Don’t give up. Keep on trying and you will succeed. You learned this in what, like preschool or something? You probably gave up after two weeks, am I right? And if not, maybe your just not fit to be training dogs.

---
    So clearly I guess I’m probably in the no shock group, but then again, I know nothing about the subject.

By all means give me some arguments for the opposing case, why they’re good or even just acceptable. I’ll even look into more arguments and argue against them for you, if you want.

EDIT:
    To answer your original question, I would hazard a guess to say it’s not entirely dangerous, and it would probably make your dog seem more well behaved.

*The two articles I linked to were just the first two google results for “are shock collars abuse?”

I apologize for the poor flow and all the other problems of my ramblings. The points stand, however, and should still be clear enough. Feel free to ask for any clarification. This whole thing baffled me, I mean I knew this was a thing, but these arguments... I kind of rushed writing this.

But you know, you do you. Again, I know next to nothing about the subject so I would do some thorough research and utilizes several sources of well reputable people in the industry (no one with a clear bias, how many dogs you’ve trained or how much you’ve spent (or earned) should not be seen as credidentials).
    Last edited by Raqk; 01-17-2018 at 04:12 AM.

i m scared of pets..But i like birds

Knight

gotta say, I dont like rats after seeing one in my clubroom