Thread: Problems running examples with resources

Serf

Default Problems running examples with resources

Hi,

I managed to successfully compile and link almost all the examples but I can run only a few of them.

For example basic2d links fine but upon running says: "A long jump has been executed" and stops. The error occurs on the line where resource/logo.png is loaded.

Similar problem is with GUIBasic where it finds the resources ok but bails out on gui.exec() with an emotional if ambiguous error: "GRR!".

I assume that these errors have something to do with resource folders or similar, but I cannot figure out what...

For example CustomGL and MultiWindow examples work fine.

I'm using the precompiled 2.2.2 for Visual Studio 2008 on Visual Studio Express 2008. The OS is Windows 7 64 and graphics card the Mobility Radeon X1700 with the newest modded drivers.

Please help,

Seppo

ClanLib Developer

Quote Originally Posted by spietari View Post
    For example basic2d links fine but upon running says: "A long jump has been executed" and stops. The error occurs on the line where resource/logo.png is loaded.

Similar problem is with GUIBasic where it finds the resources ok but bails out on gui.exec() with an emotional if ambiguous error: "GRR!".
    I have heard that someone else has the same problem.

It seems to be a problem with the png loader somewhere.

On my new installation of Windows7 64bit. I tried the precompiled libs, and it worked. (Compiling 32bit, because I am using Express Edition)

I tried damaging the png to check error handling: "Exception caught: PNG read failed: Invalid IHDR chunk"

Where and how do you get the "A long jump has been executed" error?

The GUIBasic error is a bit naughty of ClanLib. I'm not sure why it does not return the correct exception.

ClanLib Developer

I had a quick look

I am not sure why we even use the C++ unfriendly setjmp() and longjmp() functions.

Looking at:
    Code:
    void CL_PNGProvider_Impl::pngread_error_handler(png_structp png_ptr, png_const_charp msg)
    {
    	longjmp(instance->jmpbuf, 1);

}
    I cannot see a reason why we simply could not throw an exception at this point, and catch it in CL_PNGProvider_Impl::init() to perform cleanup before throwing it again.

(For reference: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/book/chapter14.html (search for readpng2_error_handler )

Maybe someone can look into this. I can't replicate the problem, so I don't know if this is the cause.

Master Sorcerer

I guess we could replace the longjmp with a throw statement. I can't see any errors in doing that instead.

Either way, it got to be the ugliest library design I've seen in a long time to demand you to do a longjmp from a callback.

Serf

Thanks guys, how could I go about actually making the png library work? What's the cause of this error?

Seppo

ClanLib Developer

Compile ClanLib, not using the precompiled libraries should help.

If that does not help, try compiling libpng (source found at: http://clanlib.org/wiki/ExternalLibraries )