Thread: Database structure for an item system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Squire

Default Database structure for an item system

Hi, I am making a web chat similar to Discord but with lots of new, probably never before-seen features (in a webchat)!

It's a webchat with a player based economy.

Anyways, does anyone know how I should structure the items database?

Here's what I have now:
    An itemdata document that gets information every time a new item is created (spawned)
    Name:  Screenshot_20200616-082515425 (1).jpg
Views: 61
Size:  164.7 KB

And then, when a new item is created, all you need is the item type id, the owners userid, and a special field for items like paper notes which allows you to store and trade notes.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200616-083043610 (1).jpg
Views: 58
Size:  269.1 KB

What can I improve? It feels like I'm missing something but I'm not sure what

P.s: how do you think you'd be able to receive items in a webchat? Also, what type of items?

Hrm. Well, I don't really know enough about your backend and project to give any meaningful info I guess, but here are some rules I use for making something that uses a database:

• Have a simple command to delete all databases and start over (this way you can keep changing the structure as you work on it, and it will re-fill out a few base items automatically or whatever - the goal is that breaking stuff during development doesn't mean more work or worry about smoothly upgrading data (although that should come later after things are nailed down..))
    • Worry about low level optimization down the road (if stuff gets slow, you can probably figure out how to make it run faster quickly if needed)
    • Don't be afraid to build and change it drastically as you go
    • Depends on the backend db, (mysql or whatever) but use indexes for quick lookups/searches where it makes sense, minimize the use if strings, or put them in a string database separately, last thing you want is to have 1000000 items with 128 char fields reserved and only 10 items using them
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Squire

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Hrm. Well, I don't really know enough about your backend and project to give any meaningful info I guess, but here are some rules I use for making something that uses a database:

• Have a simple command to delete all databases and start over (this way you can keep changing the structure as you work on it, and it will re-fill out a few base items automatically or whatever - the goal is that breaking stuff during development doesn't mean more work or worry about smoothly upgrading data (although that should come later after things are nailed down..))
    • Worry about low level optimization down the road (if stuff gets slow, you can probably figure out how to make it run faster quickly if needed)
    • Don't be afraid to build and change it drastically as you go
    • Depends on the backend db, (mysql or whatever) but use indexes for quick lookups/searches where it makes sense, minimize the use if strings, or put them in a string database separately, last thing you want is to have 1000000 items with 128 char fields reserved and only 10 items using them
    Thanks for the tips! I already kinda try to make everything as non-resource intensive as possible, but it still gets a bit too heavy imo