Thread: Amazing! My dreams have been answered!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Serf

Cool Amazing! My dreams have been answered!

First time writer, long time fan of your work, like the good ole' LORD days! :-)

Any who, I am liking what I am reading about Proton SDK! This is exactly what I have been looking for, but sadly I run OS X for everything now-a-days. I haven't gotten a chance to get on a Windows box to compile a few things to get it working yet though! :-P

Any ways, I noticed a two things you may want to consider, changing, adding or ignoring! ^_^

1.) I've been a fan of FMOD for years as well, but BASS, by Un4seen, http://www.un4seen.com/ is a pretty good comparable product for a fraction of the price.

2.) Physics. The bane of every game programmer now. I was wondering if there will be some built-in sometime in the future.

Just a couple of thoughts I had running around in the noodle and thought I'd share them!

Thank you for your time,
    Adam

Hey Adam,

1.) I've been a fan of FMOD for years as well, but BASS, by Un4seen, http://www.un4seen.com/ is a pretty good comparable product for a fraction of the price.
    Yeah, I've heard BASS is fine. I own an indie multi-game FMOD license so I tend to go with that for my PC stuff, but they don't even offer that option anymore, so I totally understand. We do have another windows audio system though, "Audiere" - seems to work ok and is totally free.

It's pretty simple to add new sound targets though.

2.) Physics. The bane of every game programmer now. I was wondering if there will be some built-in sometime in the future
    Proton is really too low level to ever want to be a "real game engine" with physics (Proton could serve as the base though), but I actually do have Bullet (a 3d physics lib) integrated and a simple demo using it, might put that up later if anybody wants it.

But it's all VERY low level and tricky to use, so unless you really want to get your hands dirty and learn Bullet intimately it's probably not the way to go.

For 2d stuff I'd recommending integrating Box2D.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Serf

Greetings Seth,

True, "Audiere" is nice and it supports many operating systems, including IRIX! :-P I wish it would support OS X, but oh well, life goes on.

Yeah, I later read in CodeDojo about your work will Bullet. Should have read that first, but yeah... Any who, oh yeah, Box2d! It is a good product and could suit my needs! :-D

I still am blown away by the potential for this product! Keep up the great work!

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    Adam

Thanks Adam.

Yeah, I don't like having the only OSX sound system be FMOD right now... I should have a free alternative ready at some point though: "Denshion" will do it I guess, I currently have it in svn working as an audio target for iOS but I'm hoping they clean it up a bit to get rid of some extra dependencies before I get it working with the OSX target too.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies