Thread: RTBarebones or hello world app without STL/BOOST that runs on regular Android NDK?

Default RTBarebones or hello world app without STL/BOOST that runs on regular Android NDK?

It is a pity that Proton uses STL and BOOST, so it requires a custom Android NDK. It doesn't even run on that lasest custom build (only Crystax r4 NOT r5 beta3).

Irrlicht and Bullet both don't rely on STL/BOOST, so I wonder how much work it would be to create a simple hello world app without STL/BOOST that works out-of-the-box with the regular NDK?

Thanks,
    Erwin

Cool

the doc says pretty clear ,because Entity system is highly depended on boost signal stuff,(I guess?),so you can use proton without entity stuff, use irrlicht directly.if it was me, id go and take a peek at native platform wrapper code to start on specific platform. (for example, shared/android are wrappers). Although, I'd need confirm form the hardworking developer.

I personally don't like to program without STL so for me not having it on a platform is a big deal.

So far every platform has a way to get it going.. only one I'm not sure about is the Blackberry Playbook, anybody know about that? Maybe they haven't released their native SDK yet.

I'm very surprised packaging the official Android NDK with a working STL hasn't been a priority for Google thus far and really hope it will be at some point.

I'm still using Crystax r4 and haven't looked at the new stuff - but I suspect the changes needed to get Proton working with it will be minor, if they aren't fixed in its final release. I'll switch when it comes out of beta.

Boost: Well, I've limited my boost usage to Boost::signals and include the required files with Proton so as long as you've got STL, the boost part shouldn't bother anyone, as you don't need to compile/link boost in separately, the parts needed are just included as source files.

I would like to replace boost's signals/slot stuff with something faster and get rid of it...

Irrlicht and Bullet both don't rely on STL/BOOST, so I wonder how much work it would be to create a simple hello world app without STL/BOOST that works out-of-the-box with the regular NDK?
    I've released four games with Proton and none of them use Irrlicht or Bullet - I didn't really consider them when I initially chose to use STL and boost and only added them as optional choices later.

It WOULD be possible to strip RTBareBones (and much of Proton) to not use the entity system, or boost, or STL but .. I will leave that to someone else as I really like having those things available!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

OK, no problem. I can create a bare bone sample manually myself.

Thanks,
    Erwin

Quick update, I just noticed Android NDK R5 and R6 now include STL and have other improvements - I think I will be able to drop Crystax completely.

Will be dropping support for older Android 1.X devices, it appears necessary to use the new features.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies