Thread: Impressive! Performance though?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Impressive! Performance though?

I've really been wanting to develop 3D for Android, Java's performance is pitiful in comparison to C++ with the NDK. I've worked with Irrlicht source code on PC (and PSP! lookup the developer SG57 ;]) for over 3 years now for odd projects and definitely loved the performance from the Proton Android 3D demo. I took my own crack at porting Irrlicht 1.7 and failed, I could not get textures to bind, even with power^2 textures.

Oh and you're one funny dude Seth.

Questions:
    If I were to simply use the Irrlicht aspect of Proton, could I make an app that does everything via irrlicht and my own code?

Would there be a huge performance difference due to the overhead?

If I were to not make use of the entity system framework, is there a hit on performance due to any underlying framework overhead?

Hey,

If I were to simply use the Irrlicht aspect of Proton, could I make an app that does everything via irrlicht and my own code?

Would there be a huge performance difference due to the overhead?

If I were to not make use of the entity system framework, is there a hit on performance due to any underlying framework overhead?
    If anything, not using Proton's entity system will improve your performance, not hurt it - so you can do it nearly 100% with the Irrlicht side if you want.

Easiest thing would be to start with the RT3DApp example and sort of locate App::Update() and App::Render(). And maybe check RTBareBone's for an example of getting raw input.

Warning: While Irrlicht's own GUI stuff can be used, (ie, text input and such) it isn't wired to mobile input which is a big problem.. that's why I sort of use Irrlicht, but Proton as the GUI overlay in the stuff I've done with it.

Now, if you aren't cut and pasting text around I'm sure you can whip up your own buttons/controls easily enough and it's not a big deal. Or learn how to use Proton's stuff and do the overlay trick.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Hey thanks for the reply! Nice to see proton's main creator is active.

Those were the answers I was looking for so I will get started then.

In all honesty I've never been impressed by Irrlicht's GUI and have always resorted to making my own, same for irrlicht's eventreceiver... that and i mainly targeted a portable console that didnt have the event receiver ported over -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ARoEMruQ#t=40s

Does proton-sdk have an active IRC channel or the boards just it?

And on that note, was able to get the barebones up and running after quite a few issues where windows decided to be an overprotective SOB... file permissions mainly- libgnustl_static.a and shared/win/utils/*.exe's - Oh and beeper.exe crashes my system, fun times!

One thing however - the android_setup guide here instructs you to modify build.sh:
    Edit RTBareBones/android/build.sh and set the path. Instead of ”/cygdrive/o/projects/proton/rtbarebones/android” it should be ”/cygdrive/c/proton/rtbarebones/android” or wherever you put proton. Also see where you have to change it a bit below.
    Problem is, if you use a Windows editor (like Notepad or Wordpad), you will get errors about
    Code:
    $'/r': command not found
    Due to obvious reasons. A simple fix possibly worth noting would be to run the unix command
    Code:
    dos2unix build.sh
    We either run this ourselves before building or you could integrate it into the build.bat file.

Hope others may find this useful

Does proton-sdk have an active IRC channel or the boards just it?
    Not currently.. if we ever get into interest I'd be happy to hang out in #proton on freenode.net though, I'm already in #clanlib there.

Code:
    file permissions mainly- libgnustl_static.a and shared/win/utils/*.exe's - Oh and beeper.exe crashes my system, fun times!
    Weird - is beeper.exe still crashing even after giving the dirs full permissions? Hmm, I should probably include the source to that so people can debug it if they want.. it's such a silly simple program, amazing it could cause problems.

Problem is, if you use a Windows editor (like Notepad or Wordpad), you will get errors about
    Thanks - I went ahead and added a note about that to the wiki. Don't be shy about editing it yourself btw if you find important stuff like that missing!
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Hmm I am able to get SimpleApp to compile. but without resources/media. I attempt to update_media but RTPack.exe is throwing up an error:
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application.
    This then proceeds to happen with each successive call to RTPack.exe for each media. I can only imagine it involves more freakin windows permissions but if you have any answers that would save me time digging through the source code for RTPack I'd love to hear it :}