Thread: A Greater Reality

Default A Greater Reality

Could there perhaps be a greater reality that humanity cannot perceive? I recently read the book Cardturner and a notable character from it said:

"We may be surrounded by some greater reality, to which we are oblivious. And even if we could somehow perceive it in some entirely new way, it is extremely doubtful we would be able to comprehend what we perceived."

.. after the character in question talked about how his dog was listening to the radio, while being unable to comprehend any word from it, nor being capable of understanding that there was anything to be understood.

I thought about it, and it seemed like an interesting topic to discuss.

Greater reality? Simplify it please? Is it like the 4th dimension?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerkon View Post
    Teens would be evil and might try to ban all of growtopia

Quote Originally Posted by Xat View Post
    Ugh. It's as simple as it is already. It's not another dimension, but a way of viewing the world which we are not capable of already.

Joined Growtopia July 16, 2013.
    You mess with the snake, you get the fangs!
    Hexadecimal number systems, giving programmers headaches since computers were invented. (or at least me)

Quote Originally Posted by darksnake99 View Post
    Ugh. It's as simple as it is already. It's not another dimension, but a way of viewing the world which we are not capable of already.
    All this talk about a greater reality reminds me of the bible.

Genesis ya know
    -Jeremy012

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy012 View Post
    All this talk about a greater reality reminds me of the bible.

Genesis ya know
    "And God spoke, and their was light.… And God created man and women in his own image."
    To many people, the other dimension would be angels/supernatural powers…

Quote Originally Posted by minha1234 View Post
    Could there perhaps be a greater reality that humanity cannot perceive? I recently read the book Cardturner and a notable character from it said:

"We may be surrounded by some greater reality, to which we are oblivious. And even if we could somehow perceive it in some entirely new way, it is extremely doubtful we would be able to comprehend what we perceived."

.. after the character in question talked about how his dog was listening to the radio, while being unable to comprehend any word from it, nor being capable of understanding that there was anything to be understood.

I thought about it, and it seemed like an interesting topic to discuss.
    The Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Xat View Post
    The fourth demension is also known as time.

Master Sorcerer

I live everyday thinking about this... If I understand the question correctly, that is. Tough to explain though.

Err.. Basically, I think that the idea of life itself is still completely unknown and underestimated by the majority of our own existence. If we don't understand ourselves, how can we understand that which is beyond us, is what I assume the man meant in the line "And even if we could somehow perceive it in some entirely new way, it is extremely doubtful we would be able to comprehend what we perceived." Yes, there is definitely more to the universe we live in than just atoms and energy and I believe we'll eventually begin to learn the secrets hidden beneath the surface... Which will probably be a few (Or several.. ) centuries from now. Not that we're too oblivious to find it, but we aren't ready to know. Power and lust, the two things on the minds of humans, also in which potentially powerful secrets would be used for.

A few possibilities lie within our mind itself, which we still barely know. For instance, we could possibly hold subatomic manipulation at the tips of our fingers, and yet most think of it as some science-fiction tale that'll cease to ever exist. Thus another reason why we don't know much about the world, people lack an open mind and close out all possibilities that don't retain to which they were told to believe...

If we were to embraced the character-born strengths over the character-born flaws, I do believe we, as a race, will reach the point to learn the secrets and accept what is found... But until then, there is a world beyond our understanding, we just aren't ready to learn and accept it.

Heh, sorry if I took this a bit to deep.. I tend to do that on topics that get my mind goin' such as this.
    "My eyes see everything I want them to I just don't want them to see you."

Banned
    World of Tanks Fan rolling around with a FV215b!

978th Dimension

Where the space brokes the time.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmABrodie View Post
    I live everyday thinking about this... If I understand the question correctly, that is. Tough to explain though.

Err.. Basically, I think that the idea of life itself is still completely unknown and underestimated by the majority of our own existence. If we don't understand ourselves, how can we understand that which is beyond us, is what I assume the man meant in the line "And even if we could somehow perceive it in some entirely new way, it is extremely doubtful we would be able to comprehend what we perceived." Yes, there is definitely more to the universe we live in than just atoms and energy and I believe we'll eventually begin to learn the secrets hidden beneath the surface... Which will probably be a few (Or several.. ) centuries from now. Not that we're too oblivious to find it, but we aren't ready to know. Power and lust, the two things on the minds of humans, also in which potentially powerful secrets would be used for.

A few possibilities lie within our mind itself, which we still barely know. For instance, we could possibly hold subatomic manipulation at the tips of our fingers, and yet most think of it as some science-fiction tale that'll cease to ever exist. Thus another reason why we don't know much about the world, people lack an open mind and close out all possibilities that don't retain to which they were told to believe...

If we were to embraced the character-born strengths over the character-born flaws, I do believe we, as a race, will reach the point to learn the secrets and accept what is found... But until then, there is a world beyond our understanding, we just aren't ready to learn and accept it.

Heh, sorry if I took this a bit to deep.. I tend to do that on topics that get my mind goin' such as this.
    Thank you. This post made me think even more deeply into the matter, as well as wonder about a lot of other things I didn't before.