Thread: Banking

Lesser Knight

Question

Hi, Seth, since you are working on the new update starting from Bank, I think it might be a good idea to add a few things as followed:

1. Borrow tags from Bank:
    Back then, I suggested that people can use BP's to buy some tags and vice verse. Then I realize that even iff you restrict the maximum tag number you can buy in a day to be 1 gold (i.e. 4 wood), people can pile it up very soon by buying tags everyday. So now I think it might be better that you can borrow some tags from Bank and pay the interest with BP's in advance. Say, you can at most borrow 4 wood at any given day. Each wood tag needs 20 BP's as interest to be borrowed. People can then have some flexibility to buy upgrade even if they are a few wood tags short. After that day, when the player log back in at the first time (a new day), the tags that he borrowed earlier will be automatically deducted from his pocket. So it could be negative. Scripting this might be slightly tricky, but it can be done nicely.

2. Safety box:
    Other people and I all suggested that people should have a way to protect their tags from stealing. Since you have a Bank here, it is so straightforward that you can add a "rent-a-safety" option here. It can be a one time fee or a timely basis. It can cost you tags or BP's.

3. Rob the bank...
    Well, since everyboday says that Seth is twisted evil , why don't you add this feature as well. It is similar to the "Visit competitor function", but slightly different. Based on your luck, you have 0 to 25% chance that you won't get any resistance. If you are not that lucky, you are forced to fight with a strong guard (maximum HP plus maximum Str). Let's give the player first hit. And once you confirm you want to rob the bank, everything would be automatically. You cannot escape from the scene.

If you successfully rob the bank, you can have great reward, like 10 gold tags or so. But if you fail, hey hey hey How about losing all your luck, and/or losing the entire turns next day?

4. Investment/Saving
    Well, now almost every bank does it, right? You don't want to end your life in your parlor. You can put some tags into your retirement plan or saving. If you choose a safe saving, you probably won't get anything unless you put a lot of tags in bank. If you choose aggressive investment, you can have high gain, but you might lose your tags as well. For example, saving would give you 2% return each day. But it won't accumulate. Unless you save more than 50 wood tags in a bank, you won't get anything (all fractional gain disregarded). Investment would give you +/- 10%. You need to have at least 10 tags in your investment account, or your account would be closed and your tags would be returned to you automatically.

5. What else?

There is no way that you will put all of these into the game, but it would be nice to see some of them in the near future.

Hi!

Buying tags would be good if they were limited and at a very high cost; 1 gold max per day at a 1000 BP cost.

Robbing the bank by fighting the security guard is a good idea but the reward of 10 gold should be equal to the penalty for losing such a fight; loss of all luck, loss of 5,000 BP, and loss of strength points ( 2-3) for trying to commit this crime. With value's set at somewhere around 1:100 chance of winning the fight (robbing the bank) many will attempt it as just as many people play the Lottery with much higher odds of losing but someone, someday will win and thier name will appear the newspaper!

Lesser Knight

Exclamation

Robert, what you said might end up that nobody would use the feature at all.

1000 BP's for 1 gold tag? That's way too much. Remember, a $5300 gold tag sale only gives you 33 BP's!

Setting up the chance for robbing a bank successfully like winning a lottery ticket is also not practically. The usual cost of lottery is very very small. I don't think people would buy lottery if they would lose their house, car, and all of their saving when they fail to win.

In my opinion, a good new feature should attract certain players (but not all) to try. And it can potentially alter the ranks in the short (or long) terms.

Ok, well I am adding some stuff, see what you think:

You randomly get an event (doesn't take turns) that will let you pay someone 6 gold to start a fire at an enemy parlor.

A fire will destroy 5% of their gravestones (total burials) and all WOOD tags.

If the parlor has a smoke detector installed (bought from the store, maybe costs 8 GP or so?) the fire only has a 20% chance to be successful.

I also am going to add a way to buy a Safe to protect your tags (will fit better than using the bank, basically does the same thing) and would also stop wood tags from burning in the case of a fire.

Also a "Large Lock" can be added to protect your parlor, although there will also be a counter measure to get around it. (one time use lockpick, etc)

Any thoughts? The arson event is already done, purely in the new FQ script which is cool so anybody can change it. I'm also clearly stating the cost and effect in the game before you do it, so everybody knows what's going on before plunking down tags to buy something.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

I like it! Scritable arson. Good fun there (I'll have to remove the arson risk I made). The church ought to do something (I have a "bribe the priest" risk, but any ideas are welcome). Perhaps we'll get FQ v1.0 for Christmas?

Squire

For the church how about if you donate some money to it you’ll have divine protection. In other words, if someone attacks you they could be hit by a lightning bolt and take some damage. And yes, Funeral Quest 1.00 would be a nice stocking stuffer.
    --Heretic Man. Hey, it's better than being an Infidel!

Before Christmas eh? A new build will a lot of new stuff will be released before then for sure. I probably can't officially call it V1.00 until at least a month of testing 'in the wild' though.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how progress is going, FQ is shaping up to be a lot more strategic.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Smile

seth I must say that funeral quest is awesome..I was able to implement it on windows .net server without a problem and it even runs side by side with my apache server and my synchronet bbs...no conflicts under the new O.S. after 202 users within 48 days I definately say that youre software is a success.Have you at all comtemplated other versions of funeralquest using the same interface but with a different topic such as space quest....same interface should lend itself well to a planetary travel and adventure....or you might try doing it up medevevil style and call it Dungeon quest..but the catch would have to be that they could all run together on one server...kind of offering the player different flavors....

as for funeralquest itself how about:
    The option of forming aliances and groups
    random vandalism to the parlors

any way just wanted to drop by and thank everyone for playing on my server....again thank you seth

Wink

test :

Mimifish,

Really now - Robbing a bank is a CRIME - penalty for commiting such an atrocity should bring forth SEVERE penalties. Some will try it - others will not. 1/100 chance of winning is very low compared to a lottery which is close or more than 1/10,000,000. !!, yet people do play and some (very, very few) do win !!

Buying tags should be expensive! Perhaps the local loan shark (Mr. Yang) could sell you a gold tag for 1000 BP. The tags are meant to be earned and if you want extra - PAY FOR THEM, PAY THRUOGH THE NOSE AND FEW EARS AS WELL !!

You mentioned *certain players*, are you refering to the top three of every game which by default is designed that they STAY THE TOP THREE? With bonus points and luck rewarded to the top three every day - this INSURES that they STAY on top with little to no chance of anyone else coming close the top. Funeral Quest sure does have some unfairness built into it - but the developer is well aware of this as well as many players as well.

Best wishes and Seasons Greetings,
    Robert

Lesser Knight

Cool

Hi, Robert, you did not really see my point.

Yes, I know robbing a bank is a crime, but so are stealing from others and sending people to the hospital. After all, this is a weird game which has some twisted actions. All features that are good are to add some varieties to the game that people can play it with different strategies and still have the chance to win. Robbing a bank should be more difficult than beating up other players, but it should be reasonably achieveable if the penalty is comparably high. An extremely high penlaty combined with little to none chance to win is just not worth any effort for the programmer to add it, since I don't think people would be so stupid to try to commit a suicide. Your lottery analogy is not very good as I said, you only pay $1 to have a dream of winning hundreds of million. If you need to pay a million to play the lottery, I don't think there would be any people playing it.

Buying or borrowing tags is supposed to be only a convenient way for people that just happen to have a few tags short to get another upgrade or to take a class. 1000 BP's for a tag? Then I don't think any sensible player would use it in any case. It should cost you something, like 50 BP's for a wood.

The "certain players" I referred are those who choose certain strategy to approach the game. Nothing to do with their ranks. For example, if I started an FQ game in the first day and had pretty good start, then I would go for the hearses all the way to the best one without bothering buying any other things. On the other hand, if I had a pretty horrible start, then I might decide to go for the physical earlier or go for the PSY (up to 8 or 9) first. If I started a game late (not in the first few days) or missed some days, I might not spend anything on physical because I won't be able to catch people on those stats...

Lesser Knight

Talking

As for Seth's new features, I really hate the idea that a fire can destroy 5% of the total plots. Even you have a smoke detecter installed, you still have 20% of risk. And I don't know how often such an event can occur, but if other players use multiple accounts or simply because of your high ranks, the top players would be gauranteed to be burned everyday! And it seems that it won't hurt the peolpe that try to set a fire... It would definitely throw the game out of balance. If you still think this is a great feature, at least make it two-sided. For example, if you catch the fire-setter, you can have certain chance (20% for example) to get the 6 gold tags that other player paid for the fire setter. And anyone who can at most be burned once in one day and police protection like being beaten should be there, too. 5% total plots is not very good. Why the better (or older) players should be penalized so much more serious than a newbies!? Since most of the servers do not like to enforce the IP checking (all dial-up users can create almost as many as accounts without being kicked), you might see people create phantom accounts to hope to set fire on the top players. If you really want to do some damage to people's total plots, maybe a fixed number instead of a fixed percentage would be better. I remembered that redink1 once said that it is not a good idea to alter people's stats. You can hurt people's BP's and tags, but not their HP, Str, PSY, hearse, and total plots. So think it twice about this.

There are a lot of other ways to make the game more strategy-oriented, but please do not use a randomized feature (20% pure luck) to destroy players' hard-earned plots!

Well - I see your point, nobody wants to lose stats and get beat by people duping accounts.

However, I can't make design choices based on making dupped accounts less potent because it also makes all the legitimate players receive a stale game.

So I have to count on system operators disabling dupes and further anti-dupe technology such as cookies. (hmm)

As far as balance, this may take some work. However, a lot of additional things are going in at the same time including Safe's, Lockpicks and Heavy Padlocks. Some other stuff is planned too, such as as larger purchases that bring in tags/plots each day on a regular basis.

So yeah, the balance may be totally wrong at first, but hey, I think we'll figure something out that is hopefully fair to the top guy and to the other players. I like the idea of giving a guy a 3 gold tag bonus if his alarm catches a fire.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies