Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIPS FOR THE MORE ADVANCE PLAYER

Master Sorcerer

Thumbs up Tips For Advanced Players (Ver. 7)

After learning the basics of Seil's newbie guide (which can be found below) you begin to gain understanding of the key concepts in Growtopia. I strongly recommend you read Seil's guide before you read this one.

Growtopia for newbies: http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...ia-For-Newbies

Now you understand the core concepts, Why not do one better? This thread will take you through some helpful tips that will make playing the game a whole lot easier. Below are some complaints or questions I usually hear from players around me.

Note: This is updated frequently. Check the bottom of the list for new tips.

I'm always running out of rock! Is there a way I could just have infinite?
    Sadly, you can't have infinite rock supply but you can have a virtually ever-lasting one. It's quite simple, because rock is a low rarity; its drop rate is significantly high. This means, you can possibly get more seeds from a trees fruit than it used originally (and because a tree only uses one seed, it's an asset). So say we hunt down 5 rock seeds, plant them, break the tree and the fruits, we could probably get about 7 seeds back. Now if you do the maths, that's more than you started with. The bad news is this is tedious and a little slow. However, each time you do it, the more trees you are able to plant, therefore having bigger profits for every run you do!

How do I get gems fast?
    Simpler than you may think... As far as I've seen, I notice a lot of people use dirt trees in huge numbers. This works but it can be less effective that using grass and glass. Grass and glass are great farming assets because like rock, their drop rate will give you more seeds than the tree used. What is even better about grass and glass is that its so easy to smash the fruits and get even more gems and seeds. If you follow the steps above, but use grass/glass instead, you'll be rich in no time.

It also works for:
    - Windows and W. windows
    - Purple blocks
    - Piano notes
    - Spikes
    - Wooden Background
    - Rock Background
    - Daisies, Poppies and (Not sure about roses. Confirm?)
    - Steel
    - Gold (Confirm?)

NB: You'll need to start off with a high number of seeds. You can't expect one Spike tree to drop two seeds (let alone a seed at all)

How do I get high rarities fast, without buying packs?
    To do this, you need to start from ground zero and work your way up, only when you start, don't just plant a few trees but many trees (15 sounds reasonable). You may think its slower but it increases your chances of seeds and saves you the pain of starting over. Here is an example: You are eager to make lots of blueberries, so like anyone you begin with roses and daisies (to make a bush). You plant three of each tree and manage to successfully make two poppy trees with one rose seed left. However, when the poppy trees grow, they yield no seeds, forcing you to make daisies again. This could have been prevented be making 6 of each tree, rather than three.
    Overall, start in bulk!

Do not place a block where gems or seeds already located. If gems or seeds are already in the coordinate, nothing will yield after breaking the block.

Which is the best deal in store (seed packs)?
    You're probably thinking, "DUH! It is the rare seed pack". Or is it? This is opinionated, but think it through... Most of us know that you can buy 10 small seed packs, with the same amount of money you'd use to buy one rare seed pack. This equates to a ratio of 50 basic seeds to 5 rare seeds. 50 seeds gives you a lot of room to experiment with splices and build your way up to the rarities you would have got with the rare pack (you may have leftovers). But the best thing about a the basic pack is the fact that you will use them often to build basic needs. This is a great way to find new items in updates, another benefit of cheap seeds.

What is the best way to create new items after an update?
    1) Buy lots of small seed packs, if your lucky enough a new seed might pop up.
    2) Look in broadcasts, people usually want seeds that they know creates the items. Heaps of people were broadcasting the need for boom box and note block when Growbeats came out.

How can I get a better deal when trading?
    1) Try to keep temp. items like rollback. The value of those blocks will only increase over time.
    2) Make new items fast! You can sell them for mort than they are worth.
    3) Be certain about what you want. Say what you're trading, and what you want. Here is an example of a bad braodcast;

NOT SO GOOD WAY: I'll buy world lock for 60 OR 80 steel blocks. The problem here is the "or". People will always like the cheap 60 steel option and not bother with the 80. However, if you said you only accepted 80 steel, people will offer that (and if they don't, deacrease it to 60). Don't give people choice (sounds bad, but it works)

4) Put pressure on buyers. An example of "pressure" is saying: "I'm buying world locks but I only have 2" or "I'm buying world locks but I only have 5 mins".

How do I become famous in Growtopia?
    Three ways. (I'll keep it short and sweet - like myself)
    1) Make an original level that has the occasional giveaway.
    2) Help in forums
    3) Often be in places like start and hell, they have lots of 'noobish atmosphere'

How do I prevent getting scammed by system?
    Firstly, do not press accept until your partner has placed some items. They can easily tap 'accept' and get away with your stuff for free. Secondly, don't be distracted by scammers. A scammer will will go like this;

SCAMMER: Hey Hey, hey! Hi! Look!
    VICTIM: *looks*
    SCAMMER: *Removes their items that they were trading*
    VICTIM: *Doesn't notice this*
    SCAMMER: Accept already! Hurry! yoyooyoyo! select it sdreiamascammererds!
    VICTIM: *Wants to shut up the guy* Ok, ok! *taps ok and gives items for free*

The abandoned world trick
    Type on a really typical name like "yoyo", "lololol", "abcd1234" or "kookoo". these worlds are often abandoned, left to rot, in the dark shadows or Growtopia. however, they may contain cool stuff! I mean I found a mystery tree once! Though, the average prize is just wood and brick.

I have been scammed so hard that I've 'noob-ified'. What do I do?
    Firstly, keep calm. Simple! Do not anything irrational such as swearing (don't whine either - thats swearing for hippies). This is extremely important as being an over emotional hippie can land you in bad places... you may even get banned. Also, acting irrational will ruin your chanced of becoming a mod. Just remember: If your ever scammed and you're really damned, give me a message, I might be able to compensate.

How do I create pixel art without making a million mistakes?
    The following links are great editors. You must try them out!

DESKTOP VERSION http://www.jamesplanet.net/growtopiamapeditor/desktop/

MOBILE VERSION
    http://jamesplanet.net/growtopiamapeditor/mobile

All credit goes to useruser3

How can I get my world "out-there"?
    Advertising is important, without it, work is nothing. You can do numerous things to boost your world's rating.
    1) Post in the World Collaboration thread:
    2) Use social media - Post it of Facebook or Twitter or ........... Myspace (Whats that? - 12 year olds)
    3) When you make a broadcast, make it simple. An example: Come for [MAX. three events]. It will be tons of fun! [Smiley face]

How can I make my world awesome?

Coming soon! Really soon..
    Last edited by tony26; 04-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Another tip: never break a block (if you want it's seeds) around any nearby dropped items or you will not get its seeds.
    My Worlds:
    -Producer-kingarthur-Area69-Frostbyte-TikiHotel-Tikitopia-Tikiclub

Quote Originally Posted by Charcharliee View Post
    Another tip: never break a block (if you want it's seeds) around any nearby dropped items or you will not get its seeds.
    Are you sure? It doesn't seem like an actual implemented thing in the game. Rather you're just getting RNG issues when breaking blocks.

That's interesting. I might test that out.

Sometimes I break a tree and nothing at all falls out, or a seed that I planted falls out, it seems that sometimes the tree says its finished when its actually not.. I always wait a minute or so now.. Sometimes I used to break it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooty View Post
    Are you sure? It doesn't seem like an actual implemented thing in the game. Rather you're just getting RNG issues when breaking blocks.
    "Nearby" is a bad word to use. But in the same slot, yeah, you won't get a seed drop, or even an item drop, if there's a seed/item already floating on the spot.

I've tested this with my farming methods enough to confirm it.

Also move around when you use consumables for seeds, for the same reason. The items won't spawn if there's already something on the spot.

For this reason, if someone is clearing out a world for dirt seeds etc, I would recommend sweeping a line of just dirt first, then going back down the line for the cave backgrounds since if the dirt drops a seed and you don't pick it up first, the cave bg behind it can't drop anything.

-------

If you want to test it out, grow yourself a lot of grass or something, place it around you, break it, and repeat numerous times without picking up the items.

Quote Originally Posted by Marosa Minnie View Post
    That's interesting. I might test that out.

Sometimes I break a tree and nothing at all falls out, or a seed that I planted falls out, it seems that sometimes the tree says its finished when its actually not.. I always wait a minute or so now.. Sometimes I used to break it right away.
    Sometimes there's lag which results in the timers getting out of sync between the server and the client. Usually a tree won't break in one hit if it isn't actually finished - I've never had an unfinished tree break in one hit. Waiting a few extra seconds to a minute is definitely a good idea though if you aren't sure.

What is RNG issue?

Im not sure, but similar case happen to me. I think it's happen with wooden block.

I place the blocks around me and breaking them, they drop seeds and gems, and I dont take them, Then, I start place more wooden blocks in exact same places and this time, no seeds or gems drop.
    My Noobs' Goals stage 2:
    Have 20 Manekins
    A world storage with all seeds (PRIVATE) (spam seed gems pack)

DONE

Current activity in game: Noobing

I'm proud to call myself Noob. Master of none. This way I stay open for new knowledge everyday. Cause when people start to called themself master, they limit their perspective to their current state.

Quote Originally Posted by lovandra View Post
    What is RNG issue?

Im not sure, but similar case happen to me. I think it's happen with wooden block.

I place the blocks around me and breaking them, they drop seeds and gems, and I dont take them, Then, I start place more wooden blocks in exact same places and this time, no seeds or gems drop.
    RNG = Random Number Generator(or really, Pseudo-Random Number Generator generally if you want to get technical)

When random calculations are done in programs, this is what handles them. So what they're saying could be equated to "Are you sure it's not just bad luck?"

But! I've done this enough to be, as close to 100% as possible, certain that seeds etc will not drop if another drop is floating in the space already.

Edit: Also note this doesn't apply to harvesting trees. Just breaking blocks.

Master Sorcerer

Yes, Seth implemented the factor on purpose. It was creates to prevent "clutter". He said he will remove it since it is no longer needed.

Fair go, never experienced it on my side.

Default Okay

Aha. Use "same block" instead of "nearby". Will do.
    My Worlds:
    -Producer-kingarthur-Area69-Frostbyte-TikiHotel-Tikitopia-Tikiclub

Does glass have a higher drop-rate than dirt trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfang View Post
    Does glass have a higher drop-rate than dirt trees?
    Not sure about the drop rate of seeds, but naturally you get more glass on a tree than you do grass on a tree.

Not sure about the drop rate of seeds, but naturally you get more glass on a tree than you do grass on a tree.
    Actually, from my experiences, I tend to receive more grass than glass from trees o.O around 50% more for that matter. And since they're the same rarity, the gem rate should be equal. So unless I have odd luck, grass is more efficient than glass for gems.

Of course, Windows are also 1 hit breaks and are a slightly higher rarity, meaning their gem drop rate should be higher. They don't multiply as easily as grass, but they do generally produce a positive seed yield. Due to the fact they take longer to grow, though, you would need a lot of seeds before you would be capable of farming them nonstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Seil View Post
    Actually, from my experiences, I tend to receive more grass than glass from trees o.O around 50% more for that matter. And since they're the same rarity, the gem rate should be equal. So unless I have odd luck, grass is more efficient than glass for gems.

Of course, Windows are also 1 hit breaks and are a slightly higher rarity, meaning their gem drop rate should be higher. They don't multiply as easily as grass, but they do generally produce a positive seed yield. Due to the fact they take longer to grow, though, you would need a lot of seeds before you would be capable of farming them nonstop.
    Read what you said and was thinking... It's what I said? I accidently typed grass instead of dirt.

Default Gems

The fastest method I've used is planting a huge row of dirt trees (100+ at a time) in a blank world, and I harvest all of them, since they grow super quick, and then I collect the gems and the dirt, and then recycle the dirt blocks. I get more seeds, and I can redo it. It's not hard to find dirt seeds, anyways. I can gain 200 in a few minutes. I got 100s of gems from that method.

The problem with using glass or grass in this method is that you have to splice to get glass and grass, and they're not one of the natural elements. I'd have to stock up on rocks to make grass, if I wanted to use the mass harvesting method with glass. That's why I prefer dirt, it's quicker and easy to find, even if the gem drop rate isn't as high.

I've never found the drop rate a problem, though. Gems frequently show up during the mass harvest, and I think it works without flaws. When I run out of seeds, it takes minutes to gather another maximum amount, so it's super easy for me to get quick gems.

This is good because you can recycle the dirt, plus collect the gems from what they dropped. I really think the mass harvest is easier with dirt seeds than any other, because of how easy it is to find dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfang View Post
    The fastest method I've used is planting a huge row of dirt trees (100+ at a time) in a blank world, and I harvest all of them, since they grow super quick, and then I collect the gems and the dirt, and then recycle the dirt blocks. I get more seeds, and I can redo it. It's not hard to find dirt seeds, anyways. I can gain 200 in a few minutes. I got 100s of gems from that method.

The problem with using glass or grass in this method is that you have to splice to get glass and grass, and they're not one of the natural elements. I'd have to stock up on rocks to make grass, if I wanted to use the mass harvesting method with glass. That's why I prefer dirt, it's quicker and easy to find, even if the gem drop rate isn't as high.

I've never found the drop rate a problem, though. Gems frequently show up during the mass harvest, and I think it works without flaws. When I run out of seeds, it takes minutes to gather another maximum amount, so it's super easy for me to get quick gems.

This is good because you can recycle the dirt, plus collect the gems from what they dropped. I really think the mass harvest is easier with dirt seeds than any other, because of how easy it is to find dirt.
    The value of glass and grass is that you break them, not recycle. 200 dirt is worth all of 5-15 gems when recycled. Yes you get it fast, but you do have to spend extra time harvesting the new seeds, while the new seeds for grass and glass are obtained while you perform the gem hunting.

From harvesting the trees to get 200 windows and breaking those 200 windows(and the extras they dropped) I obtained over 30 gems. This took all of 2-4 minutes total.

Note that breaking those windows took around 1/3 the time it would take to break 200 dirt while hunting for seeds. And breaking 200 dirt isn't going to get you near 200 seeds, so you'd be hunting for awhile after that.

Once you have enough Window seeds, you can have them growing nonstop, keeping you in constant supply, so no worrying about the grow time.

Of course, this is with windows, not grass or glass. But grass and glass follow the same core concept. And all three of these examples produce more seeds than you go in with most of the time, meaning you never have to splice for them again after the initial stock.

Edit: Do know, however, that I don't farm for gems in any of these ways. I'm increasing my window stock so figured I might as well throw down some test results. I get most of my gems because I farm high level trees in bulk, which earns a ton of gems. And the best part? You get gems while farming the seeds to splice those high level trees, too. And while you wait for them to grow, you can be farming other things.

Once they grow, BOOM, huge gem increase.

Edit2: To get a proper comparison, someone would need to do the dirt method for an amount of time, then do the glass/grass/window method for that same amount of time and compare the results. But, for the glass/grass/window method you have to account for the fact that people serious about those methods will already have a good stock and tree rotation, so the setup time is voided.
    Last edited by Seil; 01-31-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Master Sorcerer

Updated, feel free to post your tips too
    Common Bugs: http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...highlight=bugs
    Tips and Tricks: http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...dvanced+player

Believe you can and you're halfway there. - Theodore Roosevelt

This is a great guide!

I love how you mentioned to watch the broadcast when a new item comes out.
    I agree, I've been doing that for a while now.
    When a new item of clothing comes out, some ppl will be like "OMG BUYING NOTE BLOCK AND BOOMBOX, PAYING HIGH OMGOMG COME QUICK!!!"

Then I see broadcasts after that saying "SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE RECIPE FOR GROWBEATS, ILL PAY"
    And I think damn.. Put two and two together yo xD

Aha. Use "same block" instead of "nearby". Will do.
    DUDE CHANGE YOUR SIGNATURE IM GETTING EYE CANCER

Lesser Knight

Default Recycling dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Seil View Post
    The value of glass and grass is that you break them, not recycle. 200 dirt is worth all of 5-15 gems when recycled. Yes you get it fast, but you do have to spend extra time harvesting the new seeds, while the new seeds for grass and glass are obtained while you perform the gem hunting.

From harvesting the trees to get 200 windows and breaking those 200 windows(and the extras they dropped) I obtained over 30 gems. This took all of 2-4 minutes total.

Note that breaking those windows took around 1/3 the time it would take to break 200 dirt while hunting for seeds. And breaking 200 dirt isn't going to get you near 200 seeds, so you'd be hunting for awhile after that.

Once you have enough Window seeds, you can have them growing nonstop, keeping you in constant supply, so no worrying about the grow time.

Of course, this is with windows, not grass or glass. But grass and glass follow the same core concept. And all three of these examples produce more seeds than you go in with most of the time, meaning you never have to splice for them again after the initial stock.

Edit: Do know, however, that I don't farm for gems in any of these ways. I'm increasing my window stock so figured I might as well throw down some test results. I get most of my gems because I farm high level trees in bulk, which earns a ton of gems. And the best part? You get gems while farming the seeds to splice those high level trees, too. And while you wait for them to grow, you can be farming other things.

Once they grow, BOOM, huge gem increase.

Edit2: To get a proper comparison, someone would need to do the dirt method for an amount of time, then do the glass/grass/window method for that same amount of time and compare the results. But, for the glass/grass/window method you have to account for the fact that people serious about those methods will already have a good stock and tree rotation, so the setup time is voided.
    Seth I have a problem,when I was farming dirt trees,I got 190 something dirt and I recycled it and got like 13 gems and when I recycled 200 dirt I got 5 gems! It always happens. What is wrong?