What is it?
Proton SDK is Seth's GL/GLES messy multi-platform C++ game SDK. Can output to Windows, Linux (including the Raspberry Pi), HTML5, OS X, iOS, Android. Free and open source.
A component based toolbox of useful things built up over the last ten years. Instead of a giant .lib you link only the .cpp files used when possible to simplify multiplatform support as well as keep code size down.
It's kind of an SDL-like on steroids (while also being able to target SDL2 for setup/input/audio itself when needed) but generally gets the best results with its own native implementations of things. For example, it can target the following audio subsystems: SDL2_mixer, Audiere, FMOD, FMODStudio, Native iOS, Native Android, Denshion, Native Flash
It's designed with a “Write stuff in Windows with Visual Studio 2017, then compile/export to other platforms as needed” mentality, although you could certainly use alternate IDEs and platforms to develop on. (Xcode projects are available but only CMake setups for most other platforms)
Deprecated technologies/platforms no longer actively supported: Flash, BBX, WebOS, Irrlicht, Bullet
- (Outdated, only useful for the commit log or to see old versions) SVN Checkout the Proton SDK via svn
- A nicer link to this page: www.protonsdk.com
- IRC: #proton on freenode
Getting started and setting up and running the Proton SDK samples
Deprecated/removed things, but maybe still useful to someone
Other example projects and tools included
Understanding the Proton SDK (designed to be read in order)
- Surface and SurfaceAnim - 2D blitting or 3d texturing, up to you
- ResourceManager - so you don't load the same bmp 50 times
- MessageManager - an alternative to scripting
Latest forum posts
Latest from Seth's blog, Codedojo
- The pencil has no soul – How to prove chatbots aren’t sentient by Seth (2023/02/19 06:19)
- A blog post detailing my obsessive dive into generative AI by Seth (2022/11/05 23:21)
- Comparing output of DALL-E Mini to DALL-E Mega by Seth (2022/07/17 06:22)
- The 100 Prisoners Problem riddle interactive web app simulation I did in Unity by Seth (2022/07/17 04:52)
- How to create Simon Belmont with DALL·E 2 by Seth (2022/06/22 10:08)